Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........4th Feb, 2024. A quick look at the Eduard Brassin resin wheels
On 2/4/2024 at 12:44 PM, John Stambaugh said:

I do hope that the 4 slot wheels will be offered. Curious choice here as only the initial batch of Mk1X production used the 5 slot.

I think one or more of the companies does a four slot wheel John. 

The Armoury version is AR AW24403 and comes with block pattern tyres. 

I finished the underside painting. 

20240205-195124-2.jpg

(Except for that tiny electrical stencil which I'll catch when I do the upper stencils)

The roundel colours looked odd in the bottle but they've come out ok I think. This is the first timd I've used these paints and unfortunately the roundels are a bit thick. Miraculously I've managed to make the masked roundels look like decals :o  :doh:  <_<  :lol: Thankfully they're on the underside. I must try harder on the rest. 

So next up is the enjoyable task of masking for the upper cammo. 

Yay! :whistle:

Edited by geedubelyer

Yes I see that Armory models market several 1/24 wheels for Spitfires. But again the predominant configuration for the Mk IX is not represented. That being smooth tire on 4 slot wheel sans hubcaps. 

Armory offers the open 4 slot only with a block tread tire. That tire was installed late in the war for improved hard surface runways. 

Also of concern are the tapered rectangular axle of the Airfix struts. The Armory wheels are a "universal" set and not specifically for the Airfix kit.

The Eduard set that you have for your build look fantastic and they do come with PE hubcaps. I just prefer to have the wheels uncovered and will wait for the more common type.

BTW, I just placed an order with Hannets which includes the 1Man army stencil mask after seeing how great they look on your build.

John

After spending some (a lot of) time masking the underside I applied some Tamiya whizz can silver to the forward fuselage and upper wing surfaces, let that dry then gave it a lick of hair spray. 

I'm hoping to be able to chip the top coats in selected areas like the wing root etc.

PXL-20240210-164726902-2.jpg

Ocean grey tomorrow if all goes to plan :)

In other news, I received a huge amount of help with regards to a couple of queries i had relating to the undercarriage recently. Thanks to everyone who contributed to my research thread. 

The answers enabled me to add a little detail to the gear legs.

PXL-20240210-204050359-2.jpg

I modified the uplock by thinning it and adding a curved stop.

There is a rod running down each leg and a valve right at the top.

Hopefully they'll look ok under a coat of paint.

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........10th Feb, 2024. Further paint and gear leg details

PXL-20240211-151037518.jpg

Ocean grey applied. 

This is Mission models (MMP-093 Ocean grey RAF WWII Mid/Late) paint straight out of the bottle. 

It went on well and has settled to a smooth, matt finish. 

I bought myself some white tack in readiness for the dark green cammo but I'll need to let this harden for a while before I begin masking.

PXL-20240211-151228680.jpg

PXL-20240211-151341056.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........11th Feb, 2024. A couple of canopy add-ons

Although I’ve been a member of LSP for a few years I didn’t start actively participating until a couple of months ago when you were already on page 9 so haven’t contributed. This afternoon I decided to read the thread and have enjoyed your build and all the contributions greatly. There’s some splendid work here and I particularly like your cockpit, the photo on page 5 ( posted March 26 2023 )  could easily be taken  for the real thing, 

I also like your representation of the rear fuselage ‘ lapped ‘ panels, I used the same method on a Mk1 a few years ago.

Keep on keeping on.

John

On 2/11/2024 at 10:19 AM, geedubelyer said:

PXL-20240211-151037518.jpg

Ocean grey applied. 

This is Mission models (MMP-093 Ocean grey RAF WWII Mid/Late) paint straight out of the bottle. 

It went on well and has settled to a smooth, matt finish. 

I bought myself some white tack in readiness for the dark green cammo but I'll need to let this harden for a while before I begin masking.

PXL-20240211-151228680.jpg

PXL-20240211-151341056.jpg

Gorgeous paint work.  Looks smoooooooth!

One thing to mention:  You said you sprayed Mission Models straight from the bottle?  Did you use a few drops of the poly additive for strength?  If not beware it may be fragile for masking over!   MM paints produced good results for me but you have to go "by the book" on this brand.

Ah. Thank you. This is the first time I've used Mission Models paint and I was pleasantly surprised by how well the paint settled @KUROK:hmmm:

No, I didn't know that it was advised to add anything to MM paints so that's interesting.. 

I'll report back when I've painted the green. :unsure:

Thankfully I'm hoping to achieve a fairly war weary example so a little re-touching might be beneficial. ^_^

Edited by geedubelyer

Thank you @PEYSSON Gilles, very kind words and much appreciated.

I got the dark green down tonight but  sadly not without issues.

I used UHU brand white tack sausages because I'd heard that white tack doesn't leave the oily residue behind that blu tack is prone to. 

Going back to what @KUROK mentioned I should have sealed the Ocean grey with something first. 

The white tack has indeed left snail trails behind -_-

PXL-20240213-215605614-2.jpg

Quite an attractive effect actually but not altogether accurate.

I foresee some more Ocean grey painting in my future <_<