Zoukei-Mura Ki-45 Kai Tei "Nick"

ChuckD

Hi, all.  Lots of progress today.  As I sat down at the bench this morning, everything had been glossed, pin washed, and decaled.  I just needed to apply a flat coat to everything then start putting things together.  

State of affairs this morning:

Ki-45-wip4-01.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-02.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-04.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-06.jpg 

A pin wash dulled these nicely.
Ki-45-wip4-07.jpg 

I missed removing some masking fluid before the photo.
Ki-45-wip4-08.jpg 

The interior went together very well.  I used ultra thin super glue and a glue looper to ensure that glue only went where needed, and things went together in a snap.

Ki-45-wip4-15.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-16.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-13.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-17.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-16.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-11.jpg

After getting a few things done around the house, I was able to spend the rest of the afternoon pushing the build forward.  

The current state of affairs:
Ki-45-wip4-20.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-18.jpg 

Ki-45-wip4-19.jpg 

So far, the interior fit has been phenomenal.  The exterior fit is good, but not as good as the interior.  The upper fuselage piece flat out wasn't long enough to fit the space needed, so I had to fill it with putty.  The wings went together quite well and the fairings were fairly problem free too, though some filling will be needed on the lower fairing on both sides.  The landing gear is sturdy and hold the weight of the aircraft well.  Dry fitting the engines shows that they should attach reasonably well.  

As always, I'm going to push the build as far forward as I can before I need to paint again, so I might progress the cowlings a little further (dry fit, of course) so I can see how they go together.  

I have to say that I pretty much zoned out in a state of zen building this today, which is probably some of the highest praise I can give to ZM.  It doesn't just "fall together" per se, but it's a perfect blend of good engineering, good fit, and challenge.  If you're on the fence about grabbing one, I'd whole-heartedly recommend it.