1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

39 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You can look at the 1/48 scale sheet.

https://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48170.html

The US Ds and Es are the same as on that sheet.  New ones, not on the 1/48 sheet, are Es.

Leaning towards one of the 101st helos. None of the subjects totally blows me away.   Hopefully Werner’s Wings finally releases their sheet before I’m done with the build and need to order something.   If Floyd hasn’t, I’ll grab the Caracal set.  

Regarding the Caracal decals, not the most exciting selections for post OIF/OEF E-models but in fairness, I think the Army got a bit more conservative (if that's possible) since those days.  No more aircraft names for one thing.    I'm going to hold off until I get closer to the end of my build and see Werner's Wings has finally got their decals released.   Also sounded like from the FB page that a European outfit was supposed to be releasing decals for this kit next month.  Given that WW seems to take forever to get their decals released, I have a feeling I'll be going with the Caracal 101st selection with the reaper logo on the tail.  Time will tell....

On another note - while looking at some pictures, I noted that the real thing has some pretty visible anti-skid paint applied to the tops of those cheek sponsons and the wings.   The Takom parts are as smooth as a baby's butt.   Up to each modeler but to me, it's something that needs to be addressed.   Note in this detail shot, that waterproofing material that is slopped around the pilot's side window liberally and the black color of the non-skid.  Check your references for whatever you are building (assuming you can find pictures that show this area for your subject), this paint can either be black or CARC green (or one side in each color as a guy on FB posted pictures of). 

366200235_10167947260020321_635816194599

...or here's another cheaper way:

ynpXsQB.jpg

1. spray Tamiya AS-12 as a primer, something for the anti-slip adhesive to grab;

2. paint Vallejo Surface Primer as the adhesive to a section at a time;

3. sprinkle aluminum oxide over the wet primer, then blow away the excess;

4. seal with another coat of paint.

v6EeVD3.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

As Postscript, if I wasn't creating anti-skid surfaces on multiple subjects I would just stick with the Mr Surfacer technique, since it has multiple uses besides this application.

Cheers,  Tom