Macchi C.202 Folgore, PCM

Phantom2

Hi all!

The build of this Italian racer have begun in ernest!

As usual with short-run kits, I start by removing all major parts as wings, fuselage and tail from the frames and cleaning them up.

One ”problem” with almost all short-run kits are the large molding-towers(?), those “inverted” ejection pin marks.

They usually interferes with the fit so they will be removed!

I start by marking them out…

IMG_9870

IMG_9872

IMG_9899

…and then it´s sprue-cutter, knives and sanding sticks…

IMG_9871

One of the most exiting moments are the big “tape-together”, I do this to get a grip on the fit and eventual problems later.

This far It´s looking good….

IMG_9888

I used the already taped wings as a place holder (by friction) for the wing spar bulkhead

I started by gluing the centre section and worked outward, ensuring It was absolutely correctly mounted.

IMG_9889

I glued the fuselage halves and the forward “hood piece” to get a whole fuselage.

IMG_9890

The wing spar and bulkhead glued in place, giving the wing the correct dihedral.

IMG_9893

More to come soon!

Stefan  :beer:

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

The wheels glued together and sanded smooth and the hubs freed from the casting blocks….

IMG_9894

The hubs ready for painting, one of the hubs were a short-shot so I made the disc myself from a piece of plasticard (the white stuff).

IMG_9896

The resin wheel wells glued to the wing…

IMG_9898

IMG_9897

Major ejector pins on the stabilators had to be completely removed…

IMG_9899

PCM give you two sets of wheels in this kit, one set of plastic ones (weighted) and one “corrected” set of plastic tires with resin hubs (round).

I have no idea what´s wrong with the plastic wheels or which set to use for this variant of the Folgore.

I´ll go with the plastic wheels, they are better detailed on the hubs and they are weighted.

The backplate for the spinner was quite a bit too large…

IMG_9900

The ejector pin ”towers” on the rudderparts cut and sanded, the spinner glued, the air intake to the right is for the MC.205 and are not used  for this version, MC.202.

IMG_9901

The stabilator glued in place, very good fit, except for a minor ding I made myself!

A piece of plasticard comes to rescue!

IMG_9902

More to come soon!

Stefan  :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

This is a great build of one of my favourite aircraft, Stefan! You are doing some stunning building here, sorting out the dihedral early on and making the assembly look easy! (I'm sure it needs work!) I'm not sure, but didn't the Special Hobby team do the moulding? Those ejection pin towers look awfully familiar.... Good progress! Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Stefan,

I have been enjoying your build.  IIRC the spinner and the wheels were a “big controversy” when the kit was released.  If you can tolerate the cost of postage from USA I can send you copies of the spinner and wheels from the Craftworks kit.  Please send me PM if you are interested. 

20 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hello Stefan,

I have been enjoying your build.  IIRC the spinner and the wheels were a “big controversy” when the kit was released.  If you can tolerate the cost of postage from USA I can send you copies of the spinner and wheels from the Craftworks kit.  Please send me PM if you are interested. 

Hi Rick!

Many thanks for your offer, but I think the wheels and the spinner looks acceptabel for me, so I ´ll go with what I have..

Cheers!

Stefan :beer: