Z-M's Messerschmitt Bf-109G14/U4

Dpgsbody55

10 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

LOL, i had to look that one up. 

By the way, does the "U4" designation on this kit indicate that it was equipped with a 30mm Mk108 cannon in the nose?

yes that's right and build only in the Wiener Neustadt Factory (WNF)

15 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Just wondering do we have a list of what can be built oob from the kit?

Hi All

here in France, we also are very interested with this outstanding kit and we can discuss with Jean-Claude Mermet.

I got the authorization from his side to let you know his first impress and first conclusion after he received the kit.

(694) 1/32 infos sur futur 109 G-14/U4 Zoukei Mura - Page 6 (forumactif.com)

"Conclusion:
As the cowlings 030, 040 and 050 (according to my nomenclature) are present among the parts, it is possible to assemble the following models, mentioning only the exterior look (For the interior, it's a different matter!) :
-- G-6 standard (Original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Compressed Air" hatch in section 5 of the fuselage on the right.
-- G-6/U4 (original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Erla" hatch of the G-6/U2 on the right.
-- G-6/U2 (original canopy and 040 engine cowlings) with additional "Erla" hatch on the right.
-- G-6MW50 (040 engine cowlings) without the "Compressed Air" hatch of MK 108.
-- G-6MW50/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with the "Compressed Air" hatch of the MK 108.
-- G-14 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly.
-- G-14/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly.
-- G-6MW50 from Erla ( 050 engine cowlings) and large tailplane but without the MK 108's "Compressed Air" hatch..."

as you can see very promising,

Hope this helps

Edited by rafju

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

LOL, i had to look that one up. 

By the way, does the "U4" designation on this kit indicate that it was equipped with a 30mm Mk108 cannon in the nose?

IIRC Vincent and Radu go way back to MDC; maybe sequentially.  Each produced various product that were accurate and fun to build with. I own many of them including the full kits. Vincent was my Bf-109 go to guy when the Hasegawa kit was released years ago. I still have his notes about a number of necessary modifications related to each variant.  The K was the

most eye opening. Both are very talented men. 

1 hour ago, rafju said:

Hi All

here in France, we also are very interested with this outstanding kit and we can discuss with Jean-Claude Mermet.

I got the authorization from his side to let you know his first impress and first conclusion after he received the kit.

"Conclusion:
As the cowlings 030, 040 and 050 (according to my nomenclature) are present among the parts, it is possible to assemble the following models, mentioning only the exterior look (For the interior, it's a different matter!) :
-- G-6 standard (Original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Compressed Air" hatch in section 5 of the fuselage on the right.
-- G-6/U4 (original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Erla" hatch of the G-6/U2 on the right.
-- G-6/U2 (original canopy and 040 engine cowlings) with additional "Erla" hatch on the right.
-- G-6MW50/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with the "Compressed Air" hatch of the MK 108.
-- G-14 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly.
-- G-14/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly.
-- G-6MW50 from Erla ( 050 engine cowlings) and large tailplane but without the MK 108's "Compressed Air" hatch..."

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Raf!

23 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

IIRC Vincent and Radu go way back to MDC; maybe sequentially.  Each produced various product that were accurate and fun to build with. I own many of them including the full kits. Vincent was my Bf-109 go to guy when the Hasegawa kit was released years ago. I still have his notes about a number of necessary modifications related to each variant.  The K was the

most eye opening. Both are very talented men. 

I do agree but I'm sort of confused about why you quoted me in your statement.  Your post seems to stand on its own and my post had nothing to do with either Vincent or Radu; I just asked whether the U4 designation was indicative of the aircraft was equipped with a Mk108 30mm cannon in the nose.

Edited by Juggernut

Guys,

additionnal information from Jean-Claude Mermet ("Jicehem") following his complete review of the box contain: (always under his own control and permission)

"It is, undeniably, a very nice kit of very high quality (in appearance, because I will not test the assembly tomorrow; I have too many other models to finish...). The advices given throughout the manual, let you know that this is a "serious" kit that requires a lot of attention and a lot of thought (I advise those who don't master the English language, to have the explanations translated...)

Everything, or almost everything, is provided to build any version from the G-6 to the G-14: the two fin and rudder assemblies are proposed, the "original" and the "enlarged". ZM advises only to assemble the "original", to correspond to the aircraft of Hartmann or Anton Kellmayer.

By conviction, reinforced by the documents in my possession, I would advise to whoever wants to assemble a true G-14 and not a G-6MW50, to use the enlarged fin-rudder assembly (G-14/U4 or not) with the base of the rudder rounded or pointed and obligatorily, the canopy known as "Erla". It should be noted that Hartmann also flew a G-6 retrofitted with the "Erla" canopy with the antenna mast onto the fuselage. It is possible to make a simple G-6, as the MG 151/20 axial is present among the parts, as well as the original canopy.

Miscellaneous comments:
-- The 56-page manual, 49 of which concern the assembly itself, is very "telling".
-- Two sprues (E and F) are apparently planned in two copies, but I do not see what the use would be...
-- The engine ( sprue E) is a fairly complete model by itself. It lacks the flexible piping and the engine control devices... Thanks to drawer molds, the ends of the exhaust pipes are hollow.

-- For a real G-14, even if the legend says that the FuG 16 ZY was removed on many G-14s (that's not knowing its exact function!), I advise to add the Morane antenna under the left wing, ignoring the 3-4. G advice in order to be able to place the N-29 part there.

-- An error: the wing dihedral is 5,5° in relation to the wing plane and not to the undersurfaces. These last ones reach almost 8° of dihedral! I do not think that this was reflected on the model; it would be catastrophic for the final rendering of the Bf 109...

-- The angles given in Fig. 3-4 are superfluous for the main gear legs; knowing the track in mm, at the point of contact of the wheels, the leg angle will naturally be at the right value. The same applies to the forward angle of the gear.

-- For a WNF aircraft (G-x/U4), you should not forget to remove the extra hatch on the right side of the fuselage (It is indicated on p. 24 above)."

and as in his text the dihedral angle has been pointed, I must let you know what Radu (Brinzan ) replied about that:

"Thank you Jean-Claude for the review. There is indeed an issue with the dihedral as illustrated in the manual, which, as you pointed out, is described as "5 degrees". The correct dihedral that should be written there is actually 7.21 degrees (6.32 degrees along the centre of the spar). That was my mistake, I did the proofreading of the manual and I should have spotted it. The kit parts have the correct dihedral and they are based on factory drawings, so the "issue" is only with the text.
Radu"

Just received a email from VolksUSA. My preorder will not ship until late August. Preorder entered 01-15-22. 

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed by that delay. 

Kit seems very well received so far. 

Edit:  Appears that on the main ZM Japanese site, the kit is order able, for a short period of time though the 17th of July, however they have very limited payment options, i.e. no use of PayPal.  Credit card only, (not for me)

Paul 

Edited by Paul2660

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

The two men have a history.  

Yes, I had my first contact with Vincent circa 2006 when I started collaborating with MDC but the relationship was never very “close”. ;)

On 7/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, rafju said:

Hi All

"Conclusion:

Hope this helps

thank you for this information Rafju 

can you tell us (or can ask Claude Mermet) what the 030, 040 and 050 cowling designations are / what they mean?

I believe there were some years back 090, 100 and 110 cowling designations when talking about G-10s, but (I seem to recall) these were not official German designations?? I presume this is the same author…

anyway, thanks again

Nick

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

thank you for this information Rafju 

can you tell us (or can ask Claude Mermet) what the 030, 040 and 050 cowling designations are / what they mean?

I believe there were some years back 090, 100 and 110 cowling designations when talking about G-10s, but (I seem to recall) these were not official German designations?? I presume this is the same author…

anyway, thanks again

Nick

Email dropped to J-C Mermet as the nbr. are from a list and of his own choice, very helpfull to clarify the different types, but the drawings are in books copyrighted...

Sorry Nick, just wait and see.