where do you draw the line?

Lightspeed

Hi all, new here.

So long story short, i have jumped in the deep end with the purchase of a 1:32 Trumpeter F14D , yeah i know, not another Cat right.

My question relates to the seemingly never ending aftermarket list of bits n bobs for the aforementioned kit.

I guess a few hundred Aussie for the kit is pretty normal and not the first time i have splurged on plastic or resin with a Fine Molds Millenium Facon and a huge Korbanth SSD Resin kit, only i am a bit perplexed over the cost of aftermarket bits, i am not the sort of guy to just see something and pull the trigger without research first both on quality, application and price.

This has led me to a quandry over where do you fellow members draw the line over practical application of aftermarket goodies?

We all want to do the ultimate build for detail and some kits simply just drop the ball here or the aftermarket sector would not be flourishing, so here i am with a $220Aud kit, have already purchased an out of production Teknics F14D superset but for the Tamiya cockpit, this was before after research i decided to go with the Trumpeter (why o why, my brain hurts just thinking about that decision now) also grabbed some Reskit burner cans and a few JDAM's etc and paint mask.

Now the list is getting out of control, we have the Zacto intakes and pallet correction, Wolfpack resin update set, Vulcan Cannon in brass and PE, Eduard exterior PE, interior PE, armamnet PE, undercarriage PE, Airies Resin Wheel bays, cockpit, Red Fox Studio F14D cockpit panels and the list still continues, to the extent that i have calculated that aftermarket extras without going and getting everything available is worth more than 3 times ( infact nearly 4 times after shipping costs the original kit price), just the Zacto intakes and pallets are equal to the kit price alone.

All of this without so much as even unboxing the kit.

So advice please on where do we draw the line regarding aftermarket detail and is it even worth it? i know its a subjective question and everyone has their own ideas, i have never applied a single bit of PE in my entire life lol.

although i have searched i have not seen alot on Eduards PE external, interior cockpit, undercarriage, armamant PE or if the Red Fox cockpit panels are a must have, they certainly look lovely in finish.

Horrible first post i know, outwardly without knowing me the written words and questions indicate "this guy has bitten off more than he can chew" but surely someone can give me a little bit of guidance or advice, i do not want to invest in all that PE etc and have a model that looks like Frakencat.

I see it all as choice. Some may not purchase many kits and throw the kitchen sink at it (as they say). But like you say is it worth it, probably not and would another modeller even notice?. Personally I research what I’m doing then purchase the kit which may only be a choice of one kit. Depending on how I intend to display the kit depends on what get thrown at it. Most of the time it’s cockpit and/or seats. The rest I can take it or leave it and I don’t think it’s a lesser model for it.

It really depends. I have a stash of 1:32 '109G stuff that already exceeds the cost of the kit, with yet more purchases planned. With some other kits, 'pit, jet exhausts (where applicable), wheels, and perhaps machined pitot robes is all that I'll add, plus invariably some AM decals.

For whatever its worth, over the years I've seen models with gobs and gobs of AM that didn't really look too great, and others that were finished more or less out of box, that looked just magnificent. Bottom line; no amount of AM will automatically guarantee a better result.

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

It really depends. I have a stash of 1:32 '109G stuff that already exceeds the cost of the kit, with yet more purchases planned. With some other kits, 'pit, jet exhausts (where applicable), wheels, and perhaps machined pitot robes is all that I'll add, plus invariably some AM decals.

For whatever its worth, over the years I've seen models with gobs and gobs of AM that didn't really look too great, and others that were finished more or less out of box, that looked just magnificent. Bottom line; no amount of AM will automatically guarantee a better result.

Absolutely correct, personally i am a bit of an introvert, not really seeking for admiration of what i do, sure its great to have positive feedback on our chosen hobbies, possibly i may look at things a little differently to the mainstream as i am pretty critical of myself and demand the best i can do but this is for myself and my own sense of achievement and after ward i can reflect and admire the works of my hands.

True i have seen and  done OOB kits that look fantastic just with time spent and careful application throught the entire build and yes throwing money at a projest or problem is definitely no guarantee of solution or a quality result.

oh, one more thing, how do i "Like" comments?, i cannot seem to find the icon

:post1: Glad to have you here ..!

I wouldn't add to many new AM techniques on a single build at one time. Maybe add just one or two "new to you" types, you don't want to feel overwhelmed and then shelve the build. Then its a really expensive paperweight...

Again, Welcome to the Forums ...

-Gregg

Personally, I'm considering the following parameters to purchase AM: 

- Favorite topic or not? 

- And what about the quality/accuracy of the kit parts? 

- AM improvement visible or not on the kit? 

- Quality of the AM part: Game changer item or not? 

- Possible to get the same level of detail myself? Some AM masters need an Electronic lathe or a 3D printer whereas others just need some elbow grease.

- Time required to do it oneself versus money (my lifetime is not unlimited) 

- Contents (e.g. as I prefer fabric belts I'm trying to get sets without printed or PE belts)

- And finally the price!

So, this is a quite complex equation...:doh:

Although I ideally am willing to pay a lot of money for *building* a scale model plastic kit, the hobby tend to be so expensive I have to look at what the costs are.

1) So I try find a cheaper buy when oogling a particular kit, then I buy it immediately, delay the purshcase, or what might happen, a purchase is delayed indefinitely. Often, some kit's are re-released and then I can once again try buy it at some lower cost. I am not paying double the price for a Bandai B-Wing kit!

2) I have learned that, lots of photo etch can be a hassle. I also know that lots of photo etch on say a vehicle can be nice, so it isn't obvious if lots of photo etch is troublesome or not. I think, maybe delicate, photo etched railings on ships is a bummer, as they easily get bent or damaged in my experience.

3) Resin cockpits. A nice idea, but I think they require too much work. I like the resin cockpits less today because of never knowing how much work will go into getting a nice fit in the end. Typically, the build guides are inadequate, and seemingly doesn't guarantee a nice fit anyway.

4) What ususally happens, is that I buy aftermarket stuff, sequentially over time. This means, I never buy a lot of aftermarket stuff in one buy, but over time, I might add stuff, and although this might be costly, the cost is spread out over a few years anyway, so I am ok with it.

5) I often find myself questioning the need for a particular aftermarket item, in cojunction with evaluating a scale model kit at the same time. If I think I  "have to" buy lots of aftermarket stuff to correct obvious flaws I tend to not buy the kit, and ofc, never buying the aftermarket stuff. On the flip side, if I think I can fix one obvious issue, with one aftermarket product, then I might find that simple combo agreeable.

6) As I get older, I find that correcting scale model kits, can be a fun and enjoyable experience, but it also can sap the joy out of me. From this, I learned that: If I am bored in my life, I am 100% willing to fiddle with flaws and whatnot. If I am not bored in my life, wip projects tend to get shelved indefinitely, or being greatly delayed.

Edited by Treehugger

Thanks all for your kind replies and input, I really appreciate the wisdom in the written words here.

I will pursue the kit build albeit will be a fair project to take on, if I can trust anyone to complicate things its me:frantic:

After reviewing your words I am going to abort some of the PE for several reasons, the biggest being fragility, the next being depending on position application of a veneer over the existing styrene and I am not going to remove 10 thou of styrene just to replace it with stamped tin and then paint over it anyway.

So I will divert my attention more toward scratch built detail utilising and adding to the original parts which are reasonably correct profile and scale.

If I get desperate for things to do I can roll out foil or thin plate on my rolling mill and cut out and detail rivets, score and grave panel lines in a solid metal like silver, malleable but strong and use the existing kit part for profile etc, jeez am I jewelry making or plastic gluing lol, got the gear to do it so I am only limited by skill and determination.

We will see where we end up  but at least now I have a heading.

So thanks to all LSP members who kindly responded, appreciate it.

Kind Regards

B.

I build slow and am usually only good for 1 kit per year.   As such, I try to go heavy on the aftermarket bits but they have to add value.   If they aren't a major jump over the kit parts, or what I could do by scratch building, I pass on them.   At a minimum, I always go with decals, seatbelts and typically an IP (unless I'm building one of the new Tamiya kits). 

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Personally, I'm considering the following parameters to purchase AM: 

- Favorite topic or not? 

- And what about the quality/accuracy of the kit parts? 

- AM improvement visible or not on the kit? 

- Quality of the AM part: Game changer item or not? 

- Possible to get the same level of detail myself? Some AM masters need an Electronic lathe or a 3D printer whereas others just need some elbow grease.

- Time required to do it oneself versus money (my lifetime is not unlimited) 

- Contents (e.g. as I prefer fabric belts I'm trying to get sets without printed or PE belts)

- And finally the price!

So, this is a quite complex equation...:doh:

Thierry, you are thinking very much along my train of though now, thanks for your input, it settles me to know i am not the only one trying to walk the line between all things to consider when your object of passion and time investment demands it:coolio:

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Hello Lightspeed.

:post1:.

I'd have to agree with the others and what Gregg stated  one gets too overwhelmed by too many after market accessories. 

Just buy what you really need and use them.

:thumbsup:

Oh the Likes.. if you look on the comments box that people have posted,  then look  to the right bottom hand corner in their comments  box  you will see a blank colored heart shape.  

Click on the heart shape and it brings up about 4 different icons.... "thanks", "love" ,  "sad" and "confused ".

hope that helps.

:thumbsup:

Enjoy the forums and your TOMCAT build. (MY Favorite  jet   :wub:  )

Cheers mate for the heads up on how to like comments, got it sorted now, i think new accounts may be inhibited from that action, but all seems to be working ok now.