3 x Tamiya P-51D

B-17

Hi,

I've been working on 3 Tamiya P-51s for awhile, but didn't have enough progress worth sharing until now. I'm gonna be honest, I don't really know how the heck this project went from a single kit to building three at the same time. I am trying to keep them mostly out of box to keep from going crazy.

S0qoK0.jpg

I am still learning how to create depth with black painted objects. I ultimately settled on painting the hardware silver to try to achieve this. One of the problems I didn't consider when choosing to build 3 at the same time is how many paint sticks I would need. :frantic:

XGcPWS.jpg

Rolls Royce assembly line:

Mfh81d.jpg

Engine detail:

2DElcV.jpg

I had some issues with the panel wash on the oil reservoir. The pre-mixed enamels (Tamiya and Mr. Hobby) were not very good:

eivMU9.jpg

I used Abteilung oils and am quickly becoming a fan for these applications. They dry much slower, which allows more working time and the pigments can be blended much easier:

9jUwup.jpg

I did decide to splurge on some Quinta 3D cockpit parts. I'm not going to be using much other than the instrument panel. P-51D-5 (far left) and D-10s (center and right):

vDUTNn.jpg

Test fit:

ts3lhY.jpg

I'm hopping around a little bit in the instructions, and decided to glue the vertical stabilizers onto each fuselage:

ScrgMI.jpg

Here is where I keep the subassemblies safe for the time being. This is also the stopping point for my progress so far:

irhL4p.jpg

Edited by B-17
Clarification

Thanks for the kind words guys.

MikeC: It hasn't been too bad so far. My limited number of paint sticks has actually helped prevent me from having too many loose parts at the same time. It forces me to complete small sub-assemblies before moving on.

Regarding the build:

I started painting the radio/battery rack this afternoon. I noticed a non-descript cylinder shape on the rack that Tamiya says to paint white. This struck me as a bit odd. I did a little bit of research and found (posted by Juggernut) an illustration of the battery. I am guessing that the item in question is actually a glass jar for the "battery vent outlet sump"? Could anyone with more knowledge help shed light on this?

vOki0T.jpgs4zBJ5.jpg

I spent the morning cleaning up the resin figures that will be painted at a later time. One of the mustangs will be in-flight using the display stand. The other two will be on their mains.

left: Wings Cockpit Figures USAAF03C

center: Ultracast 54017

right: Ultracast 54013

ixJkmK.jpg

Edited by B-17
Typo

On 3/30/2022 at 10:17 AM, B-17 said:

Regarding the build:

I started painting the radio/battery rack this afternoon. I noticed a non-descript cylinder shape on the rack that Tamiya says to paint white. This struck me as a bit odd. I did a little bit of research and found (posted by Juggernut) an illustration of the battery. I am guessing that the item in question is actually a glass jar for the "battery vent outlet sump"? Could anyone with more knowledge help shed light on this?

They were supposed to be glass but they could be clear, black or white.

Mike: Thanks for the confirmation about the glass bottle. I went ahead with an off-black because white seemed like it might appear a bit out of place (to me).

Jim: I plan on a combination of masks and decals. 1ManArmy had P-51 stencils and masks listed as a future release. If they get produced then I will likely try using those.

"Willit Run?" will use the nose art from a Revell Smithsonian kit and Barracudacals checkerboard. I got the Revell decals for cheap on eBay, so I have some extra to test their usability. If they don't work then I'll come up with a plan B.

ENpe3k.jpg

"Daddy's Girl" will use masks and decals sourced from fundekals and/or Draw Decal.

rzdBzs.jpg

Lastly, "Cripes A' Mighty 3rd" will be sourced primarily from the Eagle Editions sheet.

fktehw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Uh-oh, Maru resurrected this post/build before I was ready for the next update. I took a couple pictures to provide an impromptu update and show that I actually was still making (slow) progress.

I've been working on the main cockpit, but there have been a couple cases of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Here is one of them. I wasn't too happy with the hairspray technique I used for the floorboard wear. All 3 cockpit tubs took turns in a Mr. Thinner bath in an Altoids can. I really love Mr. Thinner for paint stripping.

45ZBcZ.jpg

Here is where the trio is at the moment. All of the pieces are dry-fitted in the picture. Some of parts are finished and some of them are still in gloss-clear, awaiting a wash. I'm waiting on some wood grain decals for the floor boards and then progress will resume.

TWKm5C.jpg

By the way, there might be a slight change to the planned paint schemes I have picked out. I hope everyone has a great Friday. :beer:

Edited by B-17