Bf110G-4 (early)

mozart

This kit and conversion has been in the stash for a while, I've always kind of known what aeroplane it would eventually be, but a little research and focus has narrowed it down to this:

TV27Uq.jpg

What can it be I hear you cry!!  Patience, I will explain.....this is an unusual beast.  This is an early Bf110G-4, based at St Trond in April and May 1943.  The man standing in front of it is Fritz Rumpelhardt, the Bordfunker of (then) Lt Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer.  

The base kit is this:

9iPgdD.jpg

and the conversion is:

LM1ra7.jpg

1ZgIuG.jpg

What's unusual about this particular G-4 is its links to the G-2, and the conversion is Pastor John's AIMS Bf110F/G2 conversion.  First a little history about the G-2: 

The Bf110G-2 had many differing features from earlier models; it had as standard a sideways opening canopy for the Bordfunker (radio/radar operator) and a 90mm bulletproof windscreen.  New MG81 Zwilling twin machine guns gave rearward defence.  Newly developed  DB605B engines necessitated a re-design of the engine nacelles with an air scoop just in front of the exhausts and a triangular window in the nacelles to enable the pilot to read engine instrument gauges. The circular direction finding loop was removed from under the fuselage together with its remote control previously attached to the left inside of the canopy.  On some G-2s an under-fuselage pack containing two 20mm MG151 cannons were fitted.

In 1943 some G-2s were adapted to be used as night fighters, designated G-4; the first ones had FuG202 antennae mounted on the nose and flame dampers were fitted to the exhausts.

As Technical Officer of II./NJG1 Lt Schnaufer was regularly tasked with testing new equipment during 1942/3 such as the M1/Rustsatz which was fitted to a Bf110G-4 at St Trond in mid-1943.  The under-belly gun pod housed two 20mm MG151 cannon, but it was unsuccessful as it caused excessive drag.  Nonetheless this aircraft he shot down Short Stirling R9242 of 214 Squadron and Handley Page Halifax JB873 of 78 Squadron on the night of 13 May 1943, his 8th and 9th victories in Bf110G-4 G9+EC:

CxaR7r.jpg

qe4ruW.jpg

A little more about features and markings of the profile below from John Vasco's book:

Vw6tHW.jpg

1PArPg.jpg

EeOs5n.png

and a few other random shots:

UNqygr.png

gLPacX.png

QN4fFW.png

The FuG202 array is going to be quite a challenge, I have AML's set on its way to me from Hannants.  Fortunately for me Schrage Muzik wasn't in service at this point, fitting the cannons and mechanisms was a real pain on the later G4:

LTwGDi.jpg

So, intro over.....need to get modelling now.  Like London buses, another Bf110 might be along before too long chaps......:beer4:

Edited by mozart

oh lord.

I've the same conversion set, and I've in mind to build the well known Bf 110G-4b/R3 C9+EN landed in Switzerland the 28th April 1944.

but your program seems to be far more interesting, I'll follow you with grat pleasure.

also the photos you shown are very interesting, especially the ones portraiting Rumpelhardt. from wich books these came, pls?

Ooh yippee! Another 110! This is going to be a great one to follow!:popcorn::thumbsup:

BC4znD.jpg
I've built a couple of those FuG202 arrays- build a jig for it is my advice. Also, if you can use brass tubing for the forward posts that the arrays are actually attached to, it becomes a lot easier to handle.
These are the AML (ex-Owl) arrays. Drilled a hole in the back of the array posts, inserted a small section of brass tubing, which I slid into a larger section of brass tubing which was the actual post.
The AML arrays are great, just go slowly!

Edited by IainM

9 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Max,

It looks like you chose an interesting subject { and person who flew it}.

:yahoo:

Good history background  to it.

Best of British luck. 

looking forward to this.

:thumbsup:

Thank you Maru. Heinz Schnaufer was the top scoring, most highly decorated night fighter ace with 121 victories. He was a very well-liked and respected commander who survived the war, but was tragically killed in a freak motor accident in southern France in the 1950s whilst on a wine buying trip for the family wine business. 

7 hours ago, mc65 said:

oh lord.

I've the same conversion set, and I've in mind to build the well known Bf 110G-4b/R3 C9+EN landed in Switzerland the 28th April 1944.

but your program seems to be far more interesting, I'll follow you with grat pleasure.

also the photos you shown are very interesting, especially the ones portraiting Rumpelhardt. from wich books these came, pls?

Hope you enjoy the build! The photos are from a biography of Schnaufer, written in Flemish by my friend Wim Govaerts, its title translates in English to “The Night Ghost of St Trond”. 

pIUgDs.jpg

1 hour ago, IainM said:

Ooh yippee! Another 110! This is going to be a great one to follow!:popcorn::thumbsup:

BC4znD.jpg
I've built a couple of those FuG202 arrays- build a jig for it is my advice. Also, if you can use brass tubing for the forward posts that the arrays are actually attached to, it becomes a lot easier to handle.
These are the AML (ex-Owl) arrays. Drilled a hole in the back of the array posts, inserted a small section of brass tubing, which I slid into a larger section of brass tubing which was the actual post.
The AML arrays are great, just go slowly!

Cheers Iain….that looks fabulous, I hope I can make mine look as good as yours. Thanks for the advice, always welcome.

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Another Bf 110 - count me in, Max :D

The FuG202 assembly looks very delicate especially with all the PE.

Are you aware of the 3D printed set from GasPatch modesl?

We love a Bf110 don’t we Joachim! Yes I was aware of the Gaspatch ones but thought they would be ultra-fragile so decided on the brass AML ones. 

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, Shawn M said:

awesome Max, I need to get back to my '110G build eventually.

Im still rebuilding my plastic mojo

Mine’s been seriously missing too for a few months Shawn, but Andy and my “unofficial Bf110 STGB” has rekindled it. You’re very welcome to “join in”! 

Before finally cutting some plastic, a note about my understanding of the colours that I intend using in certain sections of the aircraft.  I've had these (edited) notes for years, I think I copied them originally from Hyperscale.  If you have better information, if you disagree (especially with primary source data), I'll be interested to hear from you:

COCKPITS
Reichsluftministrium (RLM) regulations state that prior to November 1941, cockpits/crew areas were to be RLM Green-Grey 02, with the exception of instrument panels, which were Grey with black instrument faces. After November 1941, all cockpit/crew areas visible through the glazing (windows) were to be RLM Black-Grey 66. Instrument panels remained as previously stated. Fuel lines were yellow, oil lines were brown, coolant lines were green, oxygen lines were blue and fire extinguisher lines were red.  So:

Bf110B to E: Cockpit areas RLM Green-Grey 02
Bf110F to G: Cockpit areas RLM Black-Grey 66

WHEEL WELLS, ENGINE COMPARTMENTS etc.
Regulations for these interior areas were standardized, and not a lot of variation existed, except for late war fighter aircraft. This variance in the latter stage of the war was caused by a number of factors. One was due to the allied strategic bombing campaign, which caused production of aircraft to be decentralized, leading to differences depending on the subcontractor of the specific components. Another was the urgent need for fighters, and the haste with which they were produced, which caused some relaxation of compliance with official regulations in order to speed up production. Another consideration was the remanufacturing of aircraft, in which case whole assemblies were pre-painted at the same time. Where variations are documented, they will appear listing the type of aircraft they were seen on. Remember, this is a general guide, and your best verification will be your own reference material.

Engine Compartments

The interior of engine compartments were painted in RLM 02, with the exception of the firewall. This was painted RLM 02 on the cockpit side, but left unpainted on the engine side in most cases. All engine support braces, connecting rods and internal framework was also RLM 02. Pipelines for fuel, oil and coolant remained unpainted outside of the cockpit areas. Engines remained in the colour applied by the manufacturer, usually black.

Fuselage
Prior to fall 1942, aircraft fuselage areas, with the exception of the cockpit were finished in RI.M 02. After late 1942, they were left unpainted. The Alcad used for aircraft skinning material had an electroplated finish to prevent corrosion which gave it a golden sheen, similar to that on the interior of soup cans. Aluminium and other alloy areas were still given a coat of RLM 02 to prevent corrosion. However, galvanized steel was left unpainted. Equipment such as radios, fuel tanks, oxygen bottles, etc. were in the colour applied by the manufacturer. Radios were usually black or grey; fuel tanks were usually black or grey. Oxygen bottles were usually overall blue, or painted with blue stripping.

Wing
As with the fuselage, prior to late 1942, wing areas were finished in RLM 02. After autumn 1942, with the exception of the wheel wells and flap areas, they were left unpainted. . Gun bay areas generally retained their RLM 02 paint. They exhibited the golden colour of the Alcad skinning material. Aluminium and other alloy areas were still given a coat of RLM 02 to prevent corrosion. However, galvanized steel was left unpainted. Equipment such as guns, fuel tanks, oxygen bottles, etc. were in the colour applied by the manufacturer. Guns were usually black or grey; fuel tanks were usually black or grey. Oxygen bottles were usually overall blue, or painted with blue stripping.

Flap Areas
For aircraft without separate flaps, the flap `well' and interior of the flap was painted with RLM 02. This is also true of the radiator flap and cowl flap areas.

Wheel wells
Few regulations specific to the wheel well area exist, company and factories instructions usually deciding the matter. In keeping with standard practices as identified above, wheel wells and components should have been RLM 02. This includes tail wheel and nose wheel areas. Main gear and nose wheel struts were painted RLM 02, with the exception of the polished steel oleo area. Shock absorbers were a very dark grey, again with the exception of the polished steel telescopic sections. Cast and stamped wheel hubs were painted in semi-gloss black. Tail wheel hubs were usually unpainted (dark grey), or painted the underside colour.

Propellers
Although not an interior area, propellers are also included in the Reichsluftministrium regulations. Steel prop blades were painted RLM 70 black green, while wood blades were painted RLM 71 dark green, with a semi gloss clear coat protectant. Other late war wooden prop blades were painted in blue-grey, with the same semi gloss clear.

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Mine’s been seriously missing too for a few months Shawn, but Andy and my “unofficial Bf110 STGB” has rekindled it. You’re very welcome to “join in”! 

Glad I could help Max, didn't realise you had lost the modelling mojo, great subject to get the juices flowing again as nothing g to difficult to deal with this time and we now know the pitfalls in the conversation to a G.

Regards. Andy 

5 hours ago, mozart said:

Before finally cutting some plastic, a note about my understanding of the colours that I intend using in certain sections of the aircraft.  I've had these (edited) notes for years, I think I copied them originally from Hyperscale.  If you have better information, if you disagree (especially with primary source data), I'll be interested to hear from you:

COCKPITS
Reichsluftministrium (RLM) regulations state that prior to November 1941, cockpits/crew areas were to be RLM Green-Grey 02, with the exception of instrument panels, which were Grey with black instrument faces. After November 1941, all cockpit/crew areas visible through the glazing (windows) were to be RLM Black-Grey 66. Instrument panels remained as previously stated. Fuel lines were yellow, oil lines were brown, coolant lines were green, oxygen lines were blue and fire extinguisher lines were red.  So:

Bf110B to E: Cockpit areas RLM Green-Grey 02
Bf110F to G: Cockpit areas RLM Black-Grey 66

WHEEL WELLS, ENGINE COMPARTMENTS etc.
Regulations for these interior areas were standardized, and not a lot of variation existed, except for late war fighter aircraft. This variance in the latter stage of the war was caused by a number of factors. One was due to the allied strategic bombing campaign, which caused production of aircraft to be decentralized, leading to differences depending on the subcontractor of the specific components. Another was the urgent need for fighters, and the haste with which they were produced, which caused some relaxation of compliance with official regulations in order to speed up production. Another consideration was the remanufacturing of aircraft, in which case whole assemblies were pre-painted at the same time. Where variations are documented, they will appear listing the type of aircraft they were seen on. Remember, this is a general guide, and your best verification will be your own reference material.

Engine Compartments

The interior of engine compartments were painted in RLM 02, with the exception of the firewall. This was painted RLM 02 on the cockpit side, but left unpainted on the engine side in most cases. All engine support braces, connecting rods and internal framework was also RLM 02. Pipelines for fuel, oil and coolant remained unpainted outside of the cockpit areas. Engines remained in the colour applied by the manufacturer, usually black.

Fuselage
Prior to fall 1942, aircraft fuselage areas, with the exception of the cockpit were finished in RI.M 02. After late 1942, they were left unpainted. The Alcad used for aircraft skinning material had an electroplated finish to prevent corrosion which gave it a golden sheen, similar to that on the interior of soup cans. Aluminium and other alloy areas were still given a coat of RLM 02 to prevent corrosion. However, galvanized steel was left unpainted. Equipment such as radios, fuel tanks, oxygen bottles, etc. were in the colour applied by the manufacturer. Radios were usually black or grey; fuel tanks were usually black or grey. Oxygen bottles were usually overall blue, or painted with blue stripping.

Wing
As with the fuselage, prior to late 1942, wing areas were finished in RLM 02. After autumn 1942, with the exception of the wheel wells and flap areas, they were left unpainted. . Gun bay areas generally retained their RLM 02 paint. They exhibited the golden colour of the Alcad skinning material. Aluminium and other alloy areas were still given a coat of RLM 02 to prevent corrosion. However, galvanized steel was left unpainted. Equipment such as guns, fuel tanks, oxygen bottles, etc. were in the colour applied by the manufacturer. Guns were usually black or grey; fuel tanks were usually black or grey. Oxygen bottles were usually overall blue, or painted with blue stripping.

Flap Areas
For aircraft without separate flaps, the flap `well' and interior of the flap was painted with RLM 02. This is also true of the radiator flap and cowl flap areas.

Wheel wells
Few regulations specific to the wheel well area exist, company and factories instructions usually deciding the matter. In keeping with standard practices as identified above, wheel wells and components should have been RLM 02. This includes tail wheel and nose wheel areas. Main gear and nose wheel struts were painted RLM 02, with the exception of the polished steel oleo area. Shock absorbers were a very dark grey, again with the exception of the polished steel telescopic sections. Cast and stamped wheel hubs were painted in semi-gloss black. Tail wheel hubs were usually unpainted (dark grey), or painted the underside colour.

Propellers
Although not an interior area, propellers are also included in the Reichsluftministrium regulations. Steel prop blades were painted RLM 70 black green, while wood blades were painted RLM 71 dark green, with a semi gloss clear coat protectant. Other late war wooden prop blades were painted in blue-grey, with the same semi gloss clear.

That all appears to be good info!

Point of interest which shouldn't apply to your G, is that some D's and E's cockpits were repainted (I believe when undergoing heavy maintenance). The forward (pilots) cockpit was repainted RLM66, as well as the sills, frames and top half of the rear cockpit. The lower portion of the rear cockpit was left in RLM02......

9 hours ago, IainM said:

That all appears to be good info!

Point of interest which shouldn't apply to your G, is that some D's and E's cockpits were repainted (I believe when undergoing heavy maintenance). The forward (pilots) cockpit was repainted RLM66, as well as the sills, frames and top half of the rear cockpit. The lower portion of the rear cockpit was left in RLM02......

That’s the plan for my Nightfighter. Haven’t decided if I’m doing the D or E version yet but the colouring is pretty much the conclusion I have been lead to also. 

You won’t find an English translation. Wim started one years ago, he speaks fluent English, but as he explained to me it’s still quite a difficult task, still on going or on the back burner.

qFUXDb.jpg

The two of us over a cup of coffee in Mechelen, Belgium a few years ago!

Edited by mozart