Can the HK Meteor be backdated to a wartime version?

Citadelgrad

10 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I have yet to understand why HK chose that version and only released that one whereas other versions of that plane saw action during WW2, the Korean War, Middle East War and so on ... Weird to me!

I tried to convince the owner of HK models on more than one occasion to do the Mk 8 version at least, but he's just not interested in it right now. 

He's really a WWII buff and has a very keen interest in British and Allied aircraft of that era so will always lean towards those first. 

Maybe one day, just don't hold your breath just yet. :)

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m amazed that they only made a single kit of the Meteor, while releasing 4 Do335 versions.  Nothing against the Do335.  I have all 4 kits and am happy to have them.  Just would have liked to have other Meteor versions too.

Exactly. Although I have a 335 kit myself, my understanding is there were only 12 built, so the number of different kits represents 33% of the entire production volume, yet we don't have a 1/32 wartime Meteor.  Meteors took out more buzz bombs than the entire production run of 335s, yet we have 4 versions of the DO from 2 different manufacturers, and no wartime Meteor.   Heck, there's a resin P59, which never saw combat, but no wartime Meteor...

Edited by Citadelgrad

17 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I have yet to understand why HK chose that version and only released that one whereas other versions of that plane saw action during WW2, the Korean War, Middle East War and so on ... Weird to me!

I thought I read somewhere that a Dutchman was involved in the early days of what became HKM (others may know more) and the F.4 was chosen because that was the type used by the Dutch AF. Now of course if the kit had originated in Australia then you would of had the F.8 which had an extensive combat career in the Korean war. Too bad the Fisher conversion is no more but I am trying to combine the HKM F.4 and the I.D. vacform F.8 to get there although it's stalled at the moment.

TRF

On 1/6/2022 at 7:36 AM, thierry laurent said:

exactly this

a complete fail in my view

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Fisher made long chord and short chord intakes, but I don’t remember entire nacelles.  Fisher is no more after a devastating fire, though.

think I got confused with this

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PF32192P?result-token=t8199

pitty about Paul Fisher, hope he and his wife are recovering well from the disaster that befell them

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

I found a set of I think long chord intakes in my Meteor kit. I'm not real knowledgable, what do they give me?

"Long chord" nacelles were the original type.  On later F8s and T7s the intake lip was moved back slightly (to "short chord") to produce a slightly larger intake, and thus improve airflow to the engine.  They were known as "deep breather" intakes and didn't exist on Mk 4s or earlier afaik.  So long chord would be correct for the HKM Mk 4.

Edited by MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

I have some corrected long chord intakes, and turbines and jet pipes for the HK Mk IV, drop me a line if interested. Not marketing them yet, another ( imminent !!) project has been taking my time. Intakes printed in HIPS, same as kit plastic, tailpipe bits printed on the Formlabs. PM me for more details! Note. HK kit intakes are 'long' in length, but 'short ' in mouth diameter, so a bit of a pickle...

7 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I have some corrected long chord intakes, and turbines and jet pipes for the HK Mk IV, drop me a line if interested. Not marketing them yet, another ( imminent !!) project has been taking my time. Intakes printed in HIPS, same as kit plastic, tailpipe bits printed on the Formlabs. PM me for more details! Note. HK kit intakes are 'long' in length, but 'short ' in mouth diameter, so a bit of a pickle...

I might be interested in a set too, Tim!

Kev