Avro Anson vacuform

mozart

OK, so this will be an attempt to move on with my Anson, a plane that is very dear to my heart and which has been lingering in its box for far too long.  Taped together below just to get some idea of shape etc:

SjAhCX.jpg

And this is a 1/48 (Classic Airframes) kit sitting on the 1/32 scale drawings for size comparison.

no5Fvt.jpg

My father flew them when he was a staff pilot at No. 24 Bombing and Gunnery School, Moffat, S Rhodesia in 1944/45 but this is the only photo that he took of one (they were so run of the mill and no worth bothering with I guess!):

eX8EzO.jpg

The original picture is only 40mm x 30mm and this is a crop of just one section, so detail is a bit vague.  The colour scheme interests me, I think the front section and wings are probably the original silver but the aft section has been painted yellow when shipped to Rhodesia, though this little water-colour that Dad did shows them all yellow too:

ELz7rx.jpg

Time to have a detailed look through the bits and try to remember where I'd got to.

Edited by mozart

Thank you all :clap2:.  I originally did the main cockpit framing in metal tubing using Albion Alloys “Connecto”:

CATHGo.jpg

and it works quite well, but I have a hankering to redo it using plastic rod because I want to get some variation in the thicknesses between the main structures and the supporting/strengthening ones:

x7yW3n.jpg

xKEycf.jpg

2IgWlL.jpg

n97DL3.jpg

Edited by mozart

Anson? Cool. Vac? Very cool. That cockpit structure? AWESOME! I'm following this one for sure.

I've been very fortunate to see Anson Mk.I MH120 perform at several airshows here in NZ and apparently its interior has been restored to such detail that even the pencils at the nav station are period-correct! I was never an Anson fan until her restoration. Rides are available...

DSC_1807 mh120ardmore290912zacyates1_34892656973_o mh120ardmore300912zacyates2_34892655553_o mh120ardmore300912zacyates3_35571334761_o mh120ardmore300912zacyates1_34892656563_o

I hope so Maru, if it wasn't for the pandemic I'd be visiting NZ next year and seeing, possibly flying on the Anson, was on my bucket list.  She differs from my build in that she has the later all-metal wing whereas mine is wooden + fabric, but the internal shots are excellent reference material.

Edited by mozart

Astonishing Max! I absolutely love this. Exquisite. My adoptive Dad trained on canary yellow Faithful Annie Vs in Canada as part of his navigator training in early-mid 1944, so I wish there existed an IM kit for idiots like me.

Cheers, enjoying this marvel,

Tony