Vigilante

Dandiego

Here is some progress on ship #2 and some of my techniques and improvements,

First pic, fresh off the printer. You can see the print lines quite clearly and a few flaws.

LfZSOKx.jpg?1

Sand the stab with 100 grit sandpaper. All of the high spots are gone and you can see low spots that need to be filled. Total sanding time 1 minute.

48wzwQd.jpg

Now for some filler.

M5bL6sH.jpg?1

When the putty has dried I will hit it again with the 100 grit in prep for primer.

I have also taken care to fix a small shape issue at the rear of the stab. The white plastic corrects a shape at the rear and allows for the stab to conform to the fuselage as it curves in near the engine nozzle.

vPy9xQV.jpg?2

And finally for today, correcting the shape of the inner intake wall. It should not be straight but instead curved up against the fuselage.

fcdUsGT.jpg?1

Thanks for looking, Dan

Here is how the main fuselage comes together. 

Glue the main wheel wells into the rear portion of the main fuselage. Make sure the wheel wells line up with the forward part of the fuselage. When dry I coated the inside of the wheel wells with epoxy for a strong join.

2JKrGeM.jpg

Next glue in the small metal tabs into the slots in the front fuselage, use CA glue.

xDAkAHI.jpg?1

Next glue rear and forward parts together. I used tube glue and clamped it to dry overnight.

Opxd8Oq.jpg

vbCARUf.jpg

Next glue the neck to the main fuselage. Use the "H" connector. I used tube glue and clamped it until dry.

S9DA60J.jpg?1

8abM3Cr.jpg

Ok, I have provided an exhaust assembly but it could be better. So I decided to add an aftermarket engine set from GT Resin. Blows my meager effort away.

pZ5n7tP.jpg

d21g9NJ.jpg

Anyway that is all for now, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

In this series of photos I am installing the wing tab into the fuselage slot.  The plastic 3d printed tab has a slot in the middle  which accommodates a thin metal plate. This plate adds strength and allows the tab to be slightly bent in order for a completely level wing joint. Anyway the fit is quite tight, I have sanded both upper and lower sides to get it to slide in. I actually used a hammer to tap it into place.

fDFRaCE.jpg?1

dhGYhNU.jpg?1

yXLBD7S.jpg

And fully installed on both sides. I used tube glue on this join because all the components are plastic and I wanted a good solvent weld.

SbnvSrw.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Here are some assembly tips. 

I use regular household white latex paint to coat the inside of the intakes. This thick paint helps to hide the print lines on the inside.

hELWgPj.jpg

Here are my aftermarket engine exhausts. I have added a small plastic shim to hold it at the correct height in the rear fuselage.

w8FkwlY.jpg?1

And my method to ensure a level wing. Big a** wood clamps with a straight piece of wood .

p7LWZb2.jpg?1

Okey dokey, Dan

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Brilliant!  I’m fairly fond of big a$$ed things.  Being unfamiliar with printed parts, was wondering if choice of glue is a big deal - I noticed you’ve several types so far.

Well I think we all use different glues for different tasks. Tube glue works well for most joints. If I want high strength on a critical joint I often go to epoxy. The nature of 3d parts is that you don't always have two smooth surfaces to join which means less surface to surface contact. Wheel wells were glued with tube glue and then strengthened with epoxy applied to the inside. I didn't want them to pop out after the fuselage was buttoned up. This is not an IM kit, sometimes you just gotta do what seems best.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Well Alan it seems that most of my modeling time lately has been printing more copies to fulfill requests.  I am currently printing kit #11.

And I lost a week on a birthday trip for my wife Dale to Hawaii. Had a great time.

But now I am back. I have actually done some work today. Mostly seam work on main fuselage components. Pics to follow.

Dan