HK Models Avro Lancaster RAF 35th Squadron

Eismeer

After lurking around for years going completely under the radar , getting tons of tips and inspiration, it's finally time to post something:punk: This build was a joint effort with my good friend Cato. We made this model for a local regimental museum that has built up a theme around some artifacts that 

belonged to fellow Norwegian Johan Koren Christie. Johan trained as a pilot in the Norwegian Army Flying Corps in the late twenties. He fled Norway, after the capitulation in 1940 and volunteered for the  RAF in 1942. After almost being kicked out from basic training, that he still managed to pass because Bomber Command was suffering so heavy casualties and desperately needed replacements.  He was then being transferred to 35th Pathfinder Squadron as a pilot he flew 46 operational sorties most of, in a Halifax, but also a few in a Avro Lancaster. Our model is supposed to illustrate one of the latter sorties.
The HK model goes well together without too much trouble, but the size makes it more demanding than the normal, simply because you must basically have the model stationary and move around it, and not just keep it in your hand. Anyway an enjoyable build, the next one will be a single engine, single seater, just for the pure therapy:thumbsup:

Avro_03.JPEG

Avro_04.JPEG

Avro_05.JPEG

The museum staff working on the shadow box. Wood frame and photoshopped aerial reconnaissance photograph printed on an aluminium plate.

Avro_02.JPEG

Edited by Eismeer

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, highly apricated:D

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

This looks fantastic! Any in progress pics?

Cheers,  Tom

Tom, haven't been particularly good at documenting, but here are a few snap shots from the nearly two years build process...

Crew and cockpit (Figures modified and painted by Cato):
Crew_05.JPEG

Crew_04.JPEG

Crew_03.JPEG

Crew_02.JPEG

Crew_01.JPEG

In the end, sadly little to be seen:
Lanc_inprg_02.JPEG

Crew_06.JPEG

9 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

That’s such a cool way to display something that big. Looks amazing. 
I may have to steal that idea when I build one. 

Ha-ha, that is great, as a said in my initial post, I have been lurking around for years getting inspired, so no it's payback time:thumbsup:

On 9/28/2021 at 12:26 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

That's awesome!

And, welcome aboard!

:post1:

Kev

On 9/28/2021 at 2:32 AM, LSP_Ron said:

Neat idea

On 9/28/2021 at 1:52 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Very nice!

Thank you mods, this forum is a fantastic place for some great inspiration:D