Old Man Blog No. 113

Kagemusha

15 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

The same could be said of a couple of different companies.

One could probably make the argument that if Tamiya hadn't launched a moon-shot of their own with the Mosquito FB.VI and instead went with a more affordable single-engined subject with broader appeal, maybe they would still be in the 32nd scale kit business. 

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I don't think there's any evidence that Tamiya is out of the 1/32 business.  That's all supposition and guesswork by modelers.  Tamiya does what Tamiya does.  Literally everything I've ever heard from people in the industry in Japan says that Tamiya cares not one iota if or how much money a kit makes.  Their plastic kit arm is simply a plaything for Tamiya management.

What are the chances they just play the long game and know they will get their money in time?  I always thought they had to care to some degree.  You certainly see a lot of diversity in their choices and occasionally a bit of risk taking.  

Edited by cbk57

not sure if it was posted here already

anyhow, it seems that Bf-109G-14 will be released as first (scheduled for June 2022)

should be available to preorder from January 15th

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/sws10th/#camp09

cont_img_camp08_no03.jpg

Edited by Jan_G

On 9/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, John1 said:

One could probably make the argument that if Tamiya hadn't launched a moon-shot of their own with the Mosquito FB.VI and instead went with a more affordable single-engined subject with broader appeal, maybe they would still be in the 32nd scale kit business. 

I, for one, am very glad that Tamiya did do the Mosquito FBVI.  It is another icon alongside the Spitfire and such a handsome aircraft.  I have also seen quite a few built (a totally unscientific measure) but I don't know where the comment regarding broader appeal comes from. 

Your mileage varies on that point clearly (and I do get why a P51B is appealing). The Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito (as well as the 1/24 Airfix kit) showed that there is a demand for LSP kits of this aircraft.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes