A-10C Warthog

Padubon

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

Love the xacto :evil_laugh: that’s gonna need a big paint booth! Still sunny and warm in KS or you stuck inside to paint?

Absolutely! I’m going to have to sell one of my kids kidneys to pay for the paint. This sucker is really big.

A while ago, I build the HK Lanc and I almost went bankrupt because of the paint. 

5 hours ago, Padubon said:

Absolutely! I’m going to have to sell one of my kids kidneys to pay for the paint. This sucker is really big.

A while ago, I build the HK Lanc and I almost went bankrupt because of the paint. 

Yeah this aint the size to be using MRP paints. 

1$ humbrol time!

Looks great! And yes the A-10 is a lot bigger than you think it is.

Honestly I don't really use much more MRP than the MM paints I used to mix. 

I found the secret......it's getting the proper prep and base color. The MRP colors cover a LOT better if they have the proper color base.

I've also found when using the black base technique, it makes the paint again go a lot farther.

I painted my ICM Cobra entirely using MRP and used (including touch ups) between 1/4th and 1/3rd of a bottle. Granted much smaller than the A-10, but if applied right you should easily be able to paint an A-10 with between 1 and 1.5 bottles of MRP. With no need for thinner that's less than $20 including shipping, at least from where I can buy it to where I live.

I too have not ever been able to make Humbrol work myself, but each to their own.

Either way It's looking great

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Funny

but given the effort in the build, why throw it all down the toilet by using sh*tty paint?

:mental:

Well i use 90% humbrol enamels on my builds, slowly transitioning to AK paints but only for color selection more then the end result! 

Edited by Neo

On 11/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great! And yes the A-10 is a lot bigger than you think it is.

Honestly I don't really use much more MRP than the MM paints I used to mix. 

I found the secret......it's getting the proper prep and base color. The MRP colors cover a LOT better if they have the proper color base.

I've also found when using the black base technique, it makes the paint again go a lot farther.

I painted my ICM Cobra entirely using MRP and used (including touch ups) between 1/4th and 1/3rd of a bottle. Granted much smaller than the A-10, but if applied right you should easily be able to paint an A-10 with between 1 and 1.5 bottles of MRP. With no need for thinner that's less than $20 including shipping, at least from where I can buy it to where I live.

I too have not ever been able to make Humbrol work myself, but each to their own.

Either way It's looking great

I was joking about the cheap paints. 
I have used too much of my patience on this kit therefore 
I will use Mr. Color camo over a grey and black primer.

Edited by Padubon

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, Out2gtcha said:

I'm actually kind of sad that the Trumpy A-10 is such a poor kit fit and accuracy wise......

I've always wanted an LSP A-10, (even have decals for it) but have never been willing to deal with all the needed mods to bring it up to par.

I think is sad that a model of such popular bird has not been produced with better quality. 
I don’t usually criticize Model kits because Nono e is making me buy them and I knew well what I was getting into with this monster.

Great modeling in every way!  I really like your attention to detail on a very difficult kit.  I built this kit 8 years ago and it took me 20 long months due to the poor quality of just about everything, so if you're interested in my build to give you tips going forward, it's at the link below.  While I usually label my builds "Kicked Up A Notch", this build required another label very much deserved.  Sorry for the water-marked Photobucket pics, because I wouldn't pay their ransom.  <_<  There's also some close-up pics I took of the real deal on Page 49, which I wish I had before I built the model.

Trumpeter A-10C, Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3