Current quality of Tamiya decals/Can anyone recommend someone for custom cut masks?

JefH

Hi.  

I'm planning on pickup up Tamiya's new F-51.  I love the Karin Ann markings since my wife is a KINO (Karen in name only). 

5ur507YtziEdqCYkL8vx9PUiTVhstTCXJNggO4QS

I've never built a large scale Tamiya kit, but heard nightmare stories about their decals.  I'd be nervous about applying the FF-888 and USAF decals over a BMF.  

So I guess a two part question.

1/ Has Tamiya improved their decals in recent releases and I'm worried about nothing?

2/ Does anyone know where I could have masks made for the FF-888 and USAF?  I could track down the stencils and insignia in the aftermarket pretty easily.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Except for the initial release of their F-4C/D with the Scalemaster decals, I’ve never really had a problem with Tamiya decals.  They are a little on the thick side, but I’ve never had a problem with getting them to lay down using Solvaset or other strong decal solution.

I agree with Dave per above, I really think the criticism of Tamiya decals on the whole is over blown, they tend to be very sharply detailed, respond well to setting solutions and don:t normally have color bleed through issues, however putting any decal invasion stripes(if applicable to a build) or something like that is always dicey.

i would definitely use masks rather than decals wherever practical and for custom masks, I have used TopNotch a number of times with good results

https://topnotch-success.net/

for stencils, I would use HGW wet transfers - zero (and i mean zero) carrier film, and you apply them like decals, but just peel off the film afterwards

they make P-51 sets but I am not familiar with stuff after WWII so you need to do your research

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/132-scale/906-p-51-dk-mustang-stencils-stars-132-232028.html

you are welcome ;)

I used the kit decals for my first 1:48 Tamiya F-14A, and while they are sharply printed with good colours, the decal film is quite thick and very noticeable when you get the clear coat on.  Especially on a black surface.  I added a few more coats of varnish and micromeshed in an attempt to hide the film, but in the end, I decided enough was enough and settled for OK rather than perfection (i.e. the "painted on" look).

The FF-888 and USAF would be very easy to produce masks for.  I'd be happy to give it try.  Is it possible for you to scan the decal sheet (jpg format) and email it to me with the exact dimensions of the decal sheet?  The masks would be cut on Oramask 810 material.  Contact me via PM if you are interested.

I have never been able to use Tamiya decals on any of the 16 Tamiya 1/32 builds I have done.  To thick, too brittle, I have used every single type of decal solution on them without success.  I have never had one conform to detail even after multiple applications of solution, those that don’t splinter apart that is.  

I now get paint masks every time and buy them along with the kit though I do tend to use the small decals.

Maketar’s generic sets are excellent but nose art is a problem and if  anyone knows a solution for nose art that would be great!

By the way, bad as Tamiya are they are nowheee near as bad as Trumpeter’s they don’t stay in one piece at all!  Unusable. 

one thing I find odd...

Tamiya who make the best kits we can get are incapable of producing decent decals but Revell who produce crappy cheap kits provide great decals!   

Edited by BarryWilliams

5 hours ago, jenshb said:

The Tamiya decals work well with MrHobby decal solutions, but no decal solutions can reduce the thickness of the film, and that is my only gripe with the Tamiya decals.

Getting them into position still in one piece is also an issue, the larger decals in particular. 

I have used Mr Setter and Mr Softener and these are the main solutions I use.  Also I have Microset, Microsol and Mig in the drawer.  I have tried a few others.  

On 4/24/2021 at 11:41 AM, Thunnus said:

The FF-888 and USAF would be very easy to produce masks for.  I'd be happy to give it try.  Is it possible for you to scan the decal sheet (jpg format) and email it to me with the exact dimensions of the decal sheet?  The masks would be cut on Oramask 810 material.  Contact me via PM if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer.  PM sent.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I think I'm leaning towards a masking solution simply because it's a BMF.  I'd worry that if the decals situation went sideways it's a much more difficult repair than a painted surface. 

This might push me to invest in a silhouette machine honestly.  

It is a little infuriating that a kit that cost me in the neighbourhood of 3 times more than the Revell P-51 has decals that are substantially worse.  

Once more thanks again.  - Jeff

I borrowed this photo from hobby search because I didn't want to dig mine out of the stash.  It's the Tamiya edition of the Italeri L6/40 light tank.  

10112934a6.jpg

The vehicle markings are Zanchetti and the figure uniform decals are by Tamiya. 

Speaking of figures, Tamiya's 1/35 injected figures were horrible forever.  But in the last 5yrs or so they've been pretty fantastic.  It gives me hope that maybe they'll turn around the decal issues.