Aftermarket items for 1:24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat?

chuck540z3

As I wind up my CF-104 jet model I usually do a prop next, and have decided on the big Airfix Hellcat.  Should be fun- and a lot of work!

Anyway, as usual when I start a new project, I know nothing about the subject at first and often buy just about every aftermarket item available, only to find that I don't need half of it later.  For instance, I bought the resin Barracuda pilot seat for my Tempest build, but found that the resin seat in the kit box was actually better, so it was a waste of money.  I asked about aftermarket for my CF-104 build here some months ago and got fantastic advice, that saved me a lot of money and I'm certain some heartache with parts that don't fit, like the Aires cockpit.

So what should I buy for aftermarket items for this Hellcat and which should be avoided because they really aren't better than the kit parts?  Are there any good books I should buy?  A lot of the books I have bought for other builds turned out to be mostly useless because they lacked detailed pics, which I will need.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

aAEbxT.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi, Chuck!

I would love to see what you could do with this monster, its such a great kit to start with. For aftermarket, I would peruse Aerocraft as they have several items, including conversions for nightfighters and an early -5. They also have wheels and a nice set of brass gear and gear doors.

14 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

We have a decal for it that has been a real snoozer on sales.  I think we've sold maybe 20 of them.

Our first and last 1/24 subject.

I thought I remembered that there was a fair amount of enthusiasm for that sheet when it was discussed here on LSP.

28 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

You might want to consider adding bazooka tubes and rockets to your catalog too (not for the Hellcat), as they'd be really handy for big Mustangs and Thunderbolts.

Ah, yes, bazooka tubes, great suggestion.  Good news, rockets are available now.

6 minutes ago, Mark P said:

I think decal sales MAY have been better had Airfix opted for an earlier version (-3).

Mark Proulx

I'd pretty much guarantee that. I never really considered the -5 as a purchase, but I'd grab a -3 in a New York minute.