A-6E VA-65 Desert Storm "500"

Marcel111

Hi guys,

This is how things are looking now... huge numbers of hours sunk into the build, it's my last week of no work so I'm trying to make it count.

I used Abteilung 502 Oils pretty extensively, I like that you can get a hard-edge discoloration effect with those. Plus they are in effect filters, so that it's easy to play around with the shades until you get what you want. Downside is they seem to go everywhere and never dry, so I somehow keep getting specks of white on the model like the one you can see on the belly of the aircraft below.

The no slip areas took me a while to get to where I am satisfied, I used the smoother of the Mig Ammo pastes here... with Intruders these areas seem to be pretty smooth, even this is borderline too rough.

EvBqlB.jpg

CItY8P.jpg

amTg9S.jpg

j7Xhde.jpg

you7T6.jpg

Ok, I think I can attach the windscreen now without too much risk of me screwing it up as I finish the model.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I snapped some quick IPhone pics to keep this thread alive.

The EDuard MERs have been a challenge. The Rockeye mounting pins almost fit the respective locations on the MERs, but don't exactly, making precise alignment and mounting of the Rockeyes more difficult than I envisioned. Instead of 12 Rockeyes I'm now going with eight in a slant configuration, and I'll be adding some GBU-16s on the inside pylons. I haven't seen pics of VA-65 carrying this loadout but I think it's pretty feasible, will actually look cooler than just 12 Rockeyes outboard.

zfY7GW.jpg

Masking tape is off the windscreen an for once everything is as perfect as I expected. Note the very slight green tinge around the perimeter of the windscreen glass. This was inspired by Chuck's F-4E build where he painted the perimeter of the HUD glass green. In this case I airbrushed the frame clear green (I should have gone with clear turquoise), then chrome, and then the usual dark gray/black.

ocxtVJ.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

27 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Masking tape is off the windscreen an for once everything is as perfect as I expected. Note the very slight green tinge around the perimeter of the windscreen glass. This was inspired by Chuck's F-4E build where he painted the perimeter of the HUD glass green. In this case I airbrushed the frame clear green (I should have gone with clear turquoise), then chrome, and then the usual dark gray/black.

ocxtVJ.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Great job Marcel job well done 

you think adding more different colors will add different hues? or make the effect more visible? 

Cheers 

Frederick Jacobs 

32 minutes ago, stusbke said:

Great job Marcel job well done 

you think adding more different colors will add different hues? or make the effect more visible? 

Cheers 

Frederick Jacobs 

Fred, I kinda like the very subtle effect... hope you will too when you see the model at the EME :-)

17 hours ago, Finn said:

Nice work on the Rockeyes Marcel however i think the nose covers on the rear ones were removed when mounted on the MER as they probably would be hard to get off when forward stations were loaded.

Jari

Ha, well on this particular bird for this particular mission the covers were on until they all came off… no way I’m deconstructing the assembly and making another four Rockeyes from scratch…

On 8/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, Finn said:

Nice work on the Rockeyes Marcel however i think the nose covers on the rear ones were removed when mounted on the MER as they probably would be hard to get off when forward stations were loaded.

Jari

No, not necessarily.

Steve