Jump to content

Life under Lockdown.....What are we all missing the the most?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Basta said:

Okay, I tried to avoid this thread as long as possible, but I'm pretty taken aback by the general complacency I've read. In the country where I "live" - I put live in quotes because life as I knew it has been reduced to a cruel shadow of the world that was - we are under curfew and no one can currently leave their home after 6pm, and our third round of martial law - again to last at least 6 weeks - will be implemented next week. 

 

Martial law is exactly what it is; you cannot leave home, even to go to the corner grocer, without your ID and a sworn and time-stamped document of your intentions. You can do so for one hour per day. You can be arrested for not wearing a mask on the street. 

 

Restaurants, cafés, bars and cultural activities are closed and have been for most of the year; travel outside the EU is banned and inside you must have a certificate that you are covid negative to travel anywhere else. This is a country that professes "liberty," but it has become a cruel joke. 

 

A good friend's father is in his 90s and  was drafted into the Hitler Jungend at age 16; he survived the end of the war and later became an international nuclear engineer. He said that even at the worst of the war one could go anywhere one wanted with no fear of interrogation. He is amazed by what is happening now. 

 

I'll leave it at that. 

 

 

 

Hmmm, we may live in the same country, but certainly we both live in the EU.  Obviously based on my post I see things differently; probably because I worked in a profession where individual freedoms are somewhat truncated, in some situations very truncated, so I am used to it.   In fairness to the governments of nations, COVID mitigation measures are a very tough balancing act and puts them pretty much in a "no win" situation.  If the infection percentages remain relatively low they get hammered because the risk mitigation measures the have in place are viewed as too draconian.  However, if they were to loosen those substantially and the virus takes a bad turn for the worse with a great many more deaths and overwhelmed medical system - well the same people grousing that the government is overreacting, as well as over controlling, would be screaming that the same government had not done enough to protect the population.  Classic "no-win" situation.   The above does not mean I think the, German government in my case, has done everything right.  Certainly the implementation of the immunization process has not been as well planned and executed as it could have been.  But, again in fairness, the government is handling a very complex situation that is unprecedented in the last 100 years, so perfection in response should not be expected.  I sometimes wonder what the response of modern societies to a pandemic as deadly as the Spanish Flu would be.  The darker parts of my soul senses there would be a lot of people bleeding out in their bathtubs.  Fortunately the current pandemic is not that grim.

 

Ernest        

 

        

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fab said:

.hard to meet girls ....not a good idea to be single in this days...:whistle:

It ain't no picnic to be married right now either, so look on the bright side. Spending more time at home together isn't always a good thing.....just ask my wife! Pros and cons to everything, I say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

It ain't no picnic to be married right now either, so look on the bright side. Spending more time at home together isn't always a good thing.....just ask my wife! Pros and cons to everything, I say.

 

 

The wife and I have discovered since all this began what true introverts we actually are. Dont get me wrong, we have our differences quite bit as any married couple, but both of us just seem to prefer home.  

 

Not to say she doesn't get sick of me sometimes!  Fortunately, although both of us enjoy spending time together, we do have our separate indoor hobbies, so that does help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BiggTim said:

So do we, and that's why she hasn't killed me yet!!

 

Im sure if we get the chance to get the wives with us next time we hang out, they may relish the time away from us!   I do have to say, although Im not a huge extravert, Phoenix was a great time that I will likely not forget. The hotel was great fun, and I forgot how nice it can be to have a pool in hot weather! Hopefully Vegas will happen this year.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

 

Im sure if we get the chance to get the wives with us next time we hang out, they may relish the time away from us!   I do have to say, although Im not a huge extravert, Phoenix was a great time that I will likely not forget. The hotel was great fun, and I forgot how nice it can be to have a pool in hot weather! Hopefully Vegas will happen this year.......

Ditto. Let's hope we get to do it again this August.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

So do we, and that's why she hasn't killed me yet!!

So my wife and I both work from home for our own small company so we are just used to spending loads of time together and in that respect these lockdowns have made little difference to us. Yes we have a little falling out here and there but there is nothing wrong with that at all. We both know when to park work life and enjoy family life and we work very well together. In that respect we both feel very lucky to be in our situation while this whole nightmare is going on around us all.

 

Regards. Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

 In that respect we both feel very lucky to be in our situation while this whole nightmare is going on around us all.

 

 

Indeed, I feel the same about my wife. I think one could count themselves as very lucky if you find someone to spend THIS much time together indoors/at home away from others, and still get along swimmingly for the most part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

 

 

Indeed, I feel the same about my wife. I think one could count themselves as very lucky if you find someone to spend THIS much time together indoors/at home away from others, and still get along swimmingly for the most part. 

Couldn't say it better myself Brian! Very luck and very happy indeed!

 

Regards. Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Responding to the original question posed by this thread, the thing I miss by far the most is my daughter.  She lives and works in Canada, and the border with the USA has been closed since April.  Even though we talk weekly on FaceTime, my wife and I have not seen her in person since we last visited her in the Spring of 2019.  And it’s still not entirely clear when that’s going to change.  
 

Of course, there are positives too; pre-COVID I was traveling 1-2 times per week for business.  Don’t miss that at all...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking around me at what is going on in this pandemic, i consider myself lucky in that I am not having to experience some of the traumas associated with this horrible Virus. 

 

In terms of what I miss, is in no particular order, Meeting with friends and Family, restriction on choice. By that I mean the choice wether or not to go to the pub / restaurant/ visits to museums etc. 

 

Lack of ability to plan for events such as model shows, holidays, visits to said friends and family, 

 

Rides out on my motorbikes! 

 

As far as filling in the gaps, I just completed a man cave which my good lady wife had "wifed" all over and claimed a spot for reading etc so modelling and reading I suppose thats all we can ask for at the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, Greif8 said:

 

Hmmm, we may live in the same country, but certainly we both live in the EU.  Obviously based on my post I see things differently; probably because I worked in a profession where individual freedoms are somewhat truncated, in some situations very truncated, so I am used to it.   In fairness to the governments of nations, COVID mitigation measures are a very tough balancing act and puts them pretty much in a "no win" situation.  If the infection percentages remain relatively low they get hammered because the risk mitigation measures the have in place are viewed as too draconian.  However, if they were to loosen those substantially and the virus takes a bad turn for the worse with a great many more deaths and overwhelmed medical system - well the same people grousing that the government is overreacting, as well as over controlling, would be screaming that the same government had not done enough to protect the population.  Classic "no-win" situation.   The above does not mean I think the, German government in my case, has done everything right.  Certainly the implementation of the immunization process has not been as well planned and executed as it could have been.  But, again in fairness, the government is handling a very complex situation that is unprecedented in the last 100 years, so perfection in response should not be expected.  I sometimes wonder what the response of modern societies to a pandemic as deadly as the Spanish Flu would be.  The darker parts of my soul senses there would be a lot of people bleeding out in their bathtubs.  Fortunately the current pandemic is not that grim.

 

Ernest        

 

        

I assume that you have served in the German armed forces, as was obligatory for all German adolescents until sometime in the late 1980s, and thus have been - for lack of a better word - indoctrinated on certain levels, since you say that you have no problem with "truncated" liberties, having already experienced them while being enlisted and thus totally taken care of as well as paid for your time of service.

 

I live in a major metropole in an apartment, and have always worked independently, and under the current restrictions millions of people like me are forced into a state of martial law that strips us of the most basic rights. Freedom of movement, of congress, of association. Heck, of walking the street after 6 pm, as if covid becomes more lethal in the late afternoon. 

 

I have a much more jaundiced view of government than you do, and with reason; up until this crisis, our government has  for years been attempting to starve out its own health services with the endgame to privatize them, leading to numerous strikes and protests. This same government now laments that its hospitals are overburdened and uses this to justify its draconian policies. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...