Delta Dart

Dandiego

1 hour ago, Dandiego said:

Before I start any build I do internet research to see what others have done. Especially the exact kit that I am working on. With many searches I couldn't find any build log for this kit. In fact I could find no photos of this kit completed. Maybe I'm the first?

Hi Dan,

Our own Frank Mitchell made this kit some years ago:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=209

Derek

6 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Hi Dan,

Our own Frank Mitchell made this kit some years ago:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=209

Derek

Derek, thanks for the link, but Frank built the F-102. I am working on the F-106. Same basic shape.....but different.

Dan

Ok, lets start with something small.

The underwing fuel tanks have a good shape and recessed panel lines, but the plastic is very thin, hard to glue. I could use a central keel again but on something that is supposed to be round the keel will distort into an oval.

So .....I have printed out a round core that will support the outer skin. First step, measure the interior diameter of the tank. 18.87 mm. This precise measurement allows the printer do produce the exact size needed. It is one of the advantages of using a 3d printer, 18.87mm needed, 18.87 mm produced. I have also incorporated the pylon for the tank into the print. This way it is permanently attached and straight as an arrow. The pylon stub is just for strength and alignment as I will be attaching some spare pylons, from an F-16, to form the outer layer.

OMu2IZK.jpg

VLYPu6Zq.jpg

chb78VQ.jpg

Thanks, stay tuned, Dan

12 hours ago, themongoose said:

Dan if you find a set of decals in 1/48th I can scale them up and print for you if you’d like. There are probably people out there with better printers and such but I’m a solid backup if it’ll help.

Thanks for the offer. There are several squadrons that I could do but it always comes down to the squadron path on the tail. I thinking about doing the 87th FIS with the red bulls head on the tail. I will let you know if I need something printed.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

One tank primed, the other in process.

v7WOec7.jpg

Although my 3d printed core is very useful it did not help out on the ends of the tanks. So I filled the end of each tank with Bondo. When it had cured I sanded each half flat and then super glued it together. The pylons came from an F-16 and were cut down to the correct shape and size.

As with almost any Vac subtle shape differences crop up between the different halves of almost anything. Case in point, the fuel tanks, Although they look identical they are not and this leads to extra work to get them right. 

I have noticed subtle differences between the 2 fuselage halves as well. A rib that has been carefully fitted into one fuselage half does not fit the other side. Oh well, it is the nature of a vac.

Dan

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Remember , you can have masks made as well.

Mike, masks for some things sure. But my biggest challenge will be duplicating the squadron badge on the tail. Typically about the size of a dime in 1:32. Too small for a mask.

Dan

Same here...:popcorn:..I'm also glad you primed the one tank.  It must be a me thing.  I don't really enjoy white plastic builds for some reason.  The details always seem to get lost or washed out without any real color showing.  Love the Dagger and Darts.  Looking forward to this one.