Zoukei-Mura 1/32 He 219 advice

Gremell

I'm new to this forum and I've just started getting back into building scale aircraft models after Covid 19 triggered my earlier-than-expected retirement at age 61 due to redundancy.

I'm a reasonably experienced scale model builder and am quite comfortable with photo-etch after-market upgrades. However, I certainly wouldn't put myself in the same league as the experts in this forum. I'm in awe of what you do.

I'm interested in taking on Zoukei-Mura's 1/32 He 219. However, although every review I've seen on the web praises its superb detail, opinions seem to differ on the fit of the parts and the amount of work needed to assemble it.

Would the members of this forum who've built this kit be kind enough to share their experiences with me?

I'd like to know if I'll be biting off more than I can chew.

I certainly have more time to devote to this hobby, however I also have grandad duties too (and happily so).

Hi Gremmell

I think many of us arrived here via the same route as you. I came back to the hobby in my 50s. I too am in awe of the quality of the projects I see on here – it's what motivates me to keep doing this and try to do better each time.

That kit will certainly keep you going during the long winter nights! Personally I chickened out and built the Revell one instead!

Tel

Hi Gremmell, welcome to the forums.

I'm currently building the ZM He219 and can say for sure that whilst it's not exactly Tamiya 'shake n bake', it's a very rewarding kit if you do plenty of dry fitting before committing to the glue. The detail is exquisite, the kit is well engineered so there's nothing to stop you producing a fine replica of this very interesting aircraft. The parts count is high so take small bites and don't expect this to build up too quickly.

From my build experience (I'm at the painting stage) the only bit of real fettling I've had to do was with the engine nacelles, specifically the section behind the wing. These don't go together too well so I had to fill/sand/rescribe etc, but nothing too hard or unusual in that.

As for aftermarket, I've added a set of Eduard Brassin wheels (designed for the Revell kit but will fit the ZM kit too) and a set of HGW seatbelts. Don't waste your money on anything else as it's just not required (IMHO)

Hope the above doesn't put you off building this superb kit. It's really worth the effort, as all ZM kits are.

Martin

Edited by machine_marty

Will do, Rick, however it will be some time before I get onto it. 

I have another couple of kits I'd like to build before it, including Zoukei-Mura's 1/32 Hs 129 and Tamiya's 1/48 P-38G Lightning.

I wanted to get the He 219 now because that kit is getting harder to find, especially at a reasonable price. 

I bought it a few hours ago from Volks Online Store in Japan, which, including delivery, was a lot cheaper than I could get it in Australia, where I live.

3 hours ago, Gremell said:

Will do, Rick, however it will be some time before I get onto it. 

I have another couple of kits I'd like to build before it, including Zoukei-Mura's 1/32 Hs 129 and Tamiya's 1/48 P-38G Lightning.

I wanted to get the He 219 now because that kit is getting harder to find, especially at a reasonable price. 

I bought it a few hours ago from Volks Online Store in Japan, which, including delivery, was a lot cheaper than I could get it in Australia, where I live.

Welcome to the forums! :post1:

I just got done with ZMs Ki-45, which is right on par with their Hs-129 (which I will definitely be acquiring when the B-3 comes out) and while the parts count is high, and the model complex, it was one of THE best fitting kits I've ever worked on.