How flat is flat?

D.B. Andrus

2 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I thought this was going to be a topic on the Dr1 wing bend. Oh well, wrong forum, carry on chaps :popcorn:

In a similar vein, I thought it would be about varnishes.

Here in England we haven't got anything the size of the Texas flatlands or the Nullabor, but we do have the Fens, which are very flat, and East Anglia, which is not quite as flat, once home to many many airfields, and all that history.  :piliot:

Edited by MikeC

5 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Flattest area in my part of the world is in Southern Angola.

Two spot heights on the map with 1 meter difference in height and they are 40 nm apart.

The flatest area where I live, is my tummy. :ph34r:

:blink:

Lincolnshire in the UK is very flat, when I first lived here I was a bit unsure if I liked it but it grows on you. There are some areas where the roads are very straight with lots of telegraph poles in a line by the side of the road and nothing either side for miles it always reminds me of the US ( not that I've ever been) plus most of the founding fathers came from here so they must have felt quite at home out there.

Graham 

On 10/10/2020 at 11:23 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Yeah, but we got 3 million feral hogs. Beat that, Aussies!!  :beer4:

Actually we have feral pigs, camels, goats and water buffalo to name a few. Speaking of camels we have (had) a vigorous export market going sending them to Saudi Arabia for camel racing. They were originally bought to Oz to be used for transport in the outback in the 1800's driven mainly by Afghans. Things you find out ay.

TRF

4 minutes ago, fastterry said:

Actually we have feral pigs, camels, goats and water buffalo to name a few. Speaking of camels we have (had) a vigorous export market going sending them to Saudi Arabia for camel racing. They were originally bought to Oz to be used for transport in the outback in the 1800's driven mainly by Afghans. Things you find out ay.

TRF

You win. :)

It makes me wonder about the geology of such places. Ancient inland waterways or just no geological activity?

By geez...if you were target shooting you'd want a decent berm to shoot into.

DB...that's a lot of feral hogs. Hunting some of those could fill the freezer and cut down on the grocery bills a little.

Cheers Matty

If you want to see flat, go live in Marie Byrd Land in Antarctica  for half a year... even though technically speaking there are mountains in one section of this forbidding part of Antarctica - it is flat for thousands of kilometers in all directions... as flat as the Pastor’s daughter they say... a carpenters dream... flat as a board and never been nailed before! ;)

Cheers

Alan

Couple of pictures I took on the Hay Plain in rural New South Wales.  The Hay plain is one of the three largest flat plains on the planet.  I believe that a plain in Siberia takes number one spot, and the Hay Plain is the second largest flat plain.  Haven't looked up the third place getter. 

fx5UmW.jpg

The white fluff is cotton, blown in from the north quite some distance away.

YbVbrw.jpg

Stopped for a coffee break, and taken from an elevated platform, the highest point around.

Incidentally, the Nullarbor is not flat, but undulates gently up and own from just above sea level to about 1000ft.

Once you are about 300 to 350 km west of Sydney, this entire country is pretty flat compared to many other countries.  Western Australia, where I live, is the oldest land mass still above sea level in the world.  If I drive from Perth down to Busselton, about 220km south, I don't encounter a hill worthy of the name.

Cheers,

Michael