Freedom's 1/35 Nike Hercules kit 15106

Grunticus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The missile erector is positionable which is nice. Most hinges can handle the load. For some reason the main beam is held by only two tiny stump pins. They could never hold the weight of the main beam, launch rail, and missile. I decided to fix that.

25IwHKo.jpg?1

In the spares box I found two parts that could function as axles for the hinges. First I sanded off the pin, then drilled a pilot hole with a tiny drill so I have more control over centering it properly. Then did a second pass with the correct size drill.

zGstQMu.jpg?1

b0LHSal.jpg

UdJCgY6.jpg?1

Maybe a piece of stripped electrical home wire is even better.

OtE5A8x.jpg?1

This set of assorted diamond drills has proved very useful for this kind of task (in this case to smooth out the inside of the drilled holes).

sIHuwMC.jpg?2

I will check if there are more hinges that would benefit from this treatment.

I end up rebuilding the hinges/motion points like these so that the joint does not show a gap when posed in any position. Or come loose when I play with the model. :rolleyes:

The gaps in the fins need some PVA glue filler etc.  

I cannot find this kit on line except from China.  Anyone got a clue?

I’m calling it done. This was no pleasurable build. The missile itself was okay bar the big seams you need to clean up one every winglet. The launcher was just awful:

• Bad unthoughtful engineering, clearly not done by a modeller and clearly a company with little experience. Moving parts engineered in a way that gives them the least strength.
  • Short-shot on key-areas, like square axles that bare the force of rotation when erecting the launcher.
  • Instructions not thought out well (glue small part at the back of this part but no clue as to where exactly).
  • Beams split vertically AND not fitting well leaving large gaps to fill
  • Hinges all are too weak OOB.
  • Sinkholes on larger parts.

For a 2020, € 60 kit, not impressive I’m sorry to report. All said and done it looks nice, but as said, no fun. Would buy again if given the option for this or a root-canal. I know, I know, I’m overreacting. But seriously, the kit could have been better.

MxcskK7.jpg

iyW7iq8.jpg

GE2wm8z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...