Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Phew....horizontal Stabs finished. Upper and lower surfaces done.  Dont know what I was thinking adding all those bolt heads to the rear spar :BANGHEAD2:

Oh well, it's done now and I am really pleased with how it looks.  

fh4W24.jpg

 

Nc50sM.jpg

 

Back to the fuse again thankfully (never thought I would hear myself say that LOL)

 

Cheers Anthony

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

 

Love it!!!!!

Thanks so much!

 

10 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Absolutely brilliant, Anthony! 

Thank you Ben....much appreciated buddy!

 

Couldnt help myself.... Need to finish that heat shield area off and rework the fin

yRugzi.jpg

 

As always, I appreciate your feedback, really helps

 

Cheers

Anthony

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anthony,

I don't know if you saw a post I did on a new super glue I found, due to the type of work I do I have to repair master patterns which is a pain :mental: and super glue plastic are not the best to sand together.

My resin and silicon supplier (since I started) sent me a sample of a new range of Krylex glues and the gap filler KB1641 sands down the "same as plastic" it has been a revelation, the strength of super glue and the ease of sanding has saved me so much time and I know use it where I normally use fillers and no cure time.

I think it's Asian origin so should be easy to obtain some.

 

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bob MDC said:

My resin and silicon supplier (since I started) sent me a sample of a new range of Krylex glues and the gap filler KB1641

 

Is it this one, Bob?

 

https://au.element14.com/krylex/kb1614-20g/instant-adhesive-bottle-20g-clear/dp/3289165

 

KB1614, rather than KB1641. Not cheap!

 

Kev

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlbertD said:

It may have been a lot of work but it looks like it was well worth it. If I had tried that it would be waving all over the place.

No I dont think you would have Al, knowing your abilities!

 

3 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Hi Anthony,

I don't know if you saw a post I did on a new super glue I found, due to the type of work I do I have to repair master patterns which is a pain :mental: and super glue plastic are not the best to sand together.

My resin and silicon supplier (since I started) sent me a sample of a new range of Krylex glues and the gap filler KB1641 sands down the "same as plastic" it has been a revelation, the strength of super glue and the ease of sanding has saved me so much time and I know use it where I normally use fillers and no cure time.

I think it's Asian origin so should be easy to obtain some.

 

Bob

No, I havent Bob, but will go look for it now....not sure how I missed that!  Thanks buddy

 

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

 

Is it this one, Bob?

 

https://au.element14.com/krylex/kb1614-20g/instant-adhesive-bottle-20g-clear/dp/3289165

 

KB1614, rather than KB1641. Not cheap!

 

Kev

I will check it out now, thanks for the link Kev :goodjob:

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

 

 

I see some daylight through those stabilator slats.  Nice touch- and usually overlooked.

 

Cheers,

Chuck

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out Chuck. Looks really nice Anthony. Your sure going the extra mile or I guess in your case kilometer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the super glue the stuff I use is :

https://www.neillsmaterials.co.uk/product/krylex-kb1641-thick-super-glue/

 

Neills Materials is my source of resin and silicons since I started MDC over 25 years ago Justin (Neill) started his business on the same day that I started MDC.

They are a great company and sell to the general public and not just trade firms as some companies do.

 

The price in the UK is not bad as I was using Hafixs which is a good glue at £10.00 a 20gm bottle

 

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bob MDC said:

 

Interesting! Apart from the reversed numbers in the product code (KB1641 vs KB1614), they look identical. I can't seem to find your version locally, Bob, and the one I linked to is out of stock. I'm actually using a black rubberised CA as a filler at the moment, and it's working quite well. Seems to be low-odour, and much easier to see where it has gone, and how much is still left to sand!

 

Kev

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Phew that looks terrific! And yes, I think adding daylight between the tail slats adds a lot.

 

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel, I think so too and it was pretty easy and quick to do.

 

7 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

On the super glue the stuff I use is :

https://www.neillsmaterials.co.uk/product/krylex-kb1641-thick-super-glue/

 

Neills Materials is my source of resin and silicons since I started MDC over 25 years ago Justin (Neill) started his business on the same day that I started MDC.

They are a great company and sell to the general public and not just trade firms as some companies do.

 

The price in the UK is not bad as I was using Hafixs which is a good glue at £10.00 a 20gm bottle

 

Bob

Thanks Bob, I shall try and get some.  Superglue is a bear at times and you have to be very careful sanding between the 2 mediums. Keen to try, thanks

 

Looking at photo's to detail the fin it became apparent that the panel lines were different to what you see in the kit.  I am sure the kit ones are fine for any other version but Brit ones, so I did some more digging.

 

A chap called John (Canberra Kid) over on Britmodeller has some pretty interesting information on the British built Toom.  He is also very knowledgable like Derek on this subject has generously allowed me to use his images and research here on LSP for this build.  Thank you John!

 

His images from the AP confirm my worst thoughts.....they are different to what is represented in the kit :crying:The FGR.2 and FG.1 have different skins.  Tailspin Turtle has also identified it on his website saying that the FG.1 I believe used the same fin as on the RF-4, where the leading edge is the antenna.  So out with the CA again.

 

So if you remember this photo, look at the panel lines

DYlyn7.jpg

 

And John's images

8TdvLG.jpg

FG.1

 

Notice the differences between the FGR.2 and FG.1

5K9oSi.jpg

 

Here is the FG.1 rear fuse and all the corrected panel lines and riveting that will need to be done...

I am doing the stbd side at the same time, but using port to illustrate

qGNQjf.jpg

 

And now I have everything filled with CA, I have a blank canvas. Not all of those inspection circles need adding either as most dont seem to have them, or only have one or 2 extra.

jAW6wM.jpg

 

Thanks for looking, lets see where this goes shall we???

 

Cheers Anthony

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...