Best 1/32 Mustang in your opinion?

Pup7309

Hi

Just wondering which Mustang in your opinion is best or you’ve enjoyed building the most? The Tamiya and ZM are of course the top of the list, ZM having extra options. So if you could choose 1 or 2? 

Thanks be interesting to hear opinions..,

Edited by Pup7309

My personal preference for enjoyment of build and overall accuracy is the ZM Mk.IV ... the Tamiya is supposedly more accurate in outline, though if you notice the difference you’d have to be pretty picky - but (again personally) I find the excessive Panel lines and riveting not as good of a representation of the real thing ...

As to which I would buy right now?? ... Basically whichever is the cheapest - or offers the markings that I’d like.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

34 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

My personal preference for enjoyment of build and overall accuracy is the ZM Mk.IV ... the Tamiya is supposedly more accurate in outline, though if you notice the difference you’d have to be pretty picky - but (again personally) I find the excessive Panel lines and riveting not as good of a representation of the real thing ...

As to which I would buy right now?? ... Basically whichever is the cheapest - or offers the markings that I’d like.

Rog :)

Hi yes I read that the ZM has the rivets plugged and sanded. I’m actually ok with the Tamiya wing but had a leaning to the decals in the Mk.iv ZM boxing.

Ive read the ZM has some ‘softer’ detailing (whatever that means) Not fussed with interior details more buildability. I read Tamiyas engine fit/ magnets are a bit fiddly but I think you’re right either one you choose is win/win- spoilt for choice so whichever can get on special.

Thanks! :D

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that the Z-M P-51 kit is easier to build than the Tamiya kit.  It’s usually the other way around.  One thing the Z-M kit has going for it is the price, but at the moment, the $99 shipped price on the Tamiya D/K kit moots that advantage.  It’s hard to say no to the Tamiya kit at that price.

Hands down Tamiya P-51.  Great fit, great detail.  The ZM kit has more detail that will be invisible after you complete the plane unless you build it skin off.  But otherwise all that extra detail is wasted.  The Tamiya kit fits together really well and is typical Tamiya as far as quality goes.  

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

Hands down Tamiya P-51.  Great fit, great detail.  The ZM kit has more detail that will be invisible after you complete the plane unless you build it skin off.  But otherwise all that extra detail is wasted.  The Tamiya kit fits together really well and is typical Tamiya as far as quality goes.  

2nd.  Just found the silly "extra features" such as retractable landing gear, movable control surfaces, etc a bit annoying.  

Agreed with John1 - I favor the Tamiya over ZM but wish they would stop with the bonus gimmicks (maybe they did? I don't think their Corsairs have that stuff?)

I had the ZM and it did look good, but I felt it may be a more difficult build with all the internal stuff and such - sold it off.

For my money, the Original Tamiya release beats the ZM kit, hands down with its optional parts to depict any one of three production blocks of P-51D.  Granted there are some challenges to overcome with the Tamiya kit (knockout pin marks on the roof of the wheel wells) but the options outweigh the challenges.  Also the instrument panel glass part in the Tamiya kit makes the instruments look like they’re at the bottom of a Coke bottle.

The ZM kit provides limited to no optional parts for differing production block aircraft (the instrument panel changed drastically between early and later production aircraft...Tamiya provides both, ZM only the later version).

I've compared both ZM and Tamiya side by side and I agree the Tamiya is hands down a nicer kit.  I've built two of the Tamiya ones now.   The ZM almost seems toyish in comparison with soft molded details that are not crisp and sharp in comparison  to Tamiya.  Not to knock ZM but their kit is reminiscent to an overly complicated 1/32 Matchbox kit in my view.

4 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Agreed with John1 - I favor the Tamiya over ZM but wish they would stop with the bonus gimmicks (maybe they did? I don't think their Corsairs have that stuff?)

They did.  Aside from magnetic cowlings on the Mosquito (which appear to work well), no more silly features.