1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

1 hour ago, D Bellis said:

Exactly. VERY nice pics provided with that review. 

Never quite understood why some people need to have their opinions given to them, or why they freak out when another person's opinion doesn't match their own. 

D. 

Those are two of the mysteries of Mystery Spectrum Theater 3000. 

Adam

I didn’t have a problem with a review pointing out kit flaws. Was more relieved it’s got enough good genes to make into a smashing kit.

And I was more interested in the photos which told the story. And yes it’s a real shame it isn’t a WNW product, but ‘it is what it is’ 

l’ll judge it when I get it and build it. Hopefully my first attempts in bending a wing won’t lead to cursing it, either that or just live with wonky wings.

I imagine the demand and drive to get it out and make a buck led to some rushed production and lack of QC

Maybe the lack of perfection will encourage other companies to have a crack at this iconic bird in the future. Good luck to them!

Edited by Pup7309

10 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I didn’t have a problem with a review pointing out kit flaws. Was more relieved it’s got enough good genes to make into a smashing kit.

And I was more interested in the photos which told the story. And yes it’s a real shame it isn’t a WNW product, but ‘it is what it is’ 

l’ll judge it when I get it and build it. Hopefully my first attempts in bending a wing won’t lead to cursing it, either that or just live with wonky wings.

I imagine the demand and drive to get it out and make a buck led to some rushed production and lack of QC

Maybe the lack of perfection will encourage other companies to have a crack at this iconic bird in the future. Good luck to them!

Nice of you to interact with us "gutter-snipers".

Although if "lack of perfection" were important, we'd be reviewing the 1,562nd 1/32 Bf 109G-6, lamenting that it's nearly perfect, but a single misplaced rivet out of alignment by 0.5mm just won't do......

11 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Good luck indeed. 

That boat done sailed and the idea of CSM committing to a Dr. 1 now frankly insults their intelligence. The WNW/Meng kit is quite more than good enough (:rolleyes:) and that "review" was just petty and hubris. 

7 hours ago, Basta said:

Good luck indeed. 

That boat done sailed and the idea of CSM committing to a Dr. 1 now frankly insults their intelligence. The WNW/Meng kit is quite more than good enough (:rolleyes:) and that "review" was just petty and hubris. 

Precisely why I believe another Dr.I by CSM (or anyone else), would be rather pointless. To me, this kit really looks the part, and previous concerns that I had, have now been answered, and in a very positive way. Given the somewhat limited interest in WWI aviation in general, one really good Dr.I will most certainly satisfy my needs.

8 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Precisely why I believe another Dr.I by CSM (or anyone else), would be rather pointless. To me, this kit really looks the part, and previous concerns that I had, have now been answered, and in a very positive way. Given the somewhat limited interest in WWI aviation in general, one really good Dr.I will most certainly satisfy my needs.

Yes CSM have announced 3 kits so won’t be doing this. This Dr1 is good news for us as modellers but what companies do in the years ahead is anyone’s guess. I’m sure Meng will want to crank as many of these out as they can. 
But is it long term?  Do WNW still have ownership? If there’s eventually a stop in production other manus might see an opportunity. Maybe not an exact comparison but how many 109s, 190s, Spits and Mustangs are out there by different companies. What’s stopping Roden updating their kit at some stage?

We don’t know these answers. What we do know is there is a new Dr1 that seems to have surpassed the Roden kit. Roden are bringing out 3 more including a SPAD, CSM have 3-4 in the works. Good times ahead, it seems like a full range of WW1 kits will be reached one way or the other. For now I’m just waiting for the ones on order to arrive to do 3 including at least 1 ‘diable rouge’

Happy modelling chaps!

Edited by Pup7309

All-

Received mine yesterday, and it's a real beauty! Because of Meng's harder plastic, the details (I especially saw this on the injection-molded machine gun cooling jackets) just might be crisper than WnW's was offering. Looks great in the box, and I presume it will build up nicely. I do find the markings a bit lacking, however. I will peruse elsewhere for something different.

Buy one without hesitation if you have any interest in this bird!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Too bad about the broken part near the 'pit, and one of the elevator control horns was also busted. Not a big deal to fix, but still a shame. Nice look-see though, and confirms once again that to me, the kit looks just great. I'll probably pass on the boxing with MvR, as I really can't paint figures worth a darn anyway.

Mine are on the way!! 

Then I remembered I took advantage of Lucky Models $8 shipping offer. At $39.99 and $8 shipping and a 15% discount (I had to order 3 to get the discount, like I needed an excuse....), the downside was that they're being delivered, literally, via a slow boat from China. Or Hong Kong, not sure. So it's travelling at around 15 knots, with 11,000 nautical miles to travel, I reckon it'll take almost exactly 31 days of sailing, just to get to Amsterdam. Of course, it'll probably stop to load & unload on the way, so that'll slow it down even more. Then once it hits Europe, it needs to get to the UK. Then Parcelforce get their hands on it, and that delays it another 3 months as they kick it around the warehouse, just in case it's a football, before sending me a ransom demand to pay the VAT before handing over the now rather knackered kits.

So, by the time it arrives WNW will probably have risen from the ashes and released their 8 different Fokker Triplane boxings, Roden will have re-issued theirs with improved detail, Encore will re-release their re-release and a brand new Chinese company, Wingynuty Wingsy, will suddenly launch 75 new 1/32 WWI kits, all of which have been done previously by WNW. Except they'll disprove those suggesting industrial theft & IP violations by pointing out the completely different name, which is applied to stickers covering very WNW looking boxes. As the furore gets louder, Wingynuty Wingsy will launch not one, not two, but four kits WNW never did sell, just to disprove the doubters. The HP O/100, the HP O/400 and two Avro Lancaster boxings. Then they'll release a not-quite-finished Hansa-Brandenburg D.I, which proves to be the last kit they ever produce.