Teutonic Starfighter

Madmax

Thanks Ben and Spyros!

On 8/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, jenshb said:

What a beautifully gloss finish...  How...?

Jenshb, I spray Tamiya X22 mixed with Mr Color levelling thinner at about a 40:60 ratio clear to thinner. The trick is to leave it alone for a couple of days, and then buff it with Alclad micromesh where necessary. 

Thanks Jack, glad you are enjoying it too!

On 8/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, MigMan said:

Fantastic build Sean, what a great Zipper is coming to life here. 

I have to admit that I felt a tinge of schadenfreude when reading that I am not the only one who struggles to scribe round things....

MigMan, you win the prize for Teutonic word of the day! :lol: Scribing perfectly round circles is probably akin to drawing them - satisfying sure, but we all know what it means. Good thing we can't do it...  

Hey Marcel, very kind of you! Hope your MiG-29 is just taking a rest...

I mixed up some dark green and grey with oil paint, and then randomly applied it to areas that could benefit from a darker wash. Since this is done over the matt coat, I don't leave it for more than a couple of minutes before wiping it off. Sometimes it is necessary to soften the edges with a bit of turpentine on a cloth.

IMG_3328-X2.jpg

IMG_3329-X2.jpg

The etch cockpit sills and associated detail didn't do it for me, so I made some beefier gas canisters and canopy breaking tool that will be glued into the existing sills.

IMG_3334-X2.jpg

The Master pitot probe looks cool with its barber pole paint, and one can add some colour to the labels on the nose wheel hub...

IMG_3336-X2.jpg

Ejection seat done.

IMG_3338-X2.jpg

A great leap forward was getting the main undercarriage in, as well as dropping the nose-gear leg into place. It all worked out well, and the benefit of not having to contend with them in place during painting is well worth the effort. 

IMG_3343-X2.jpg

IMG_3347-X2.jpg

Just to illustrate that I wasn't kidding about the pot scourer, some scratches on the wings:

IMG_3353-X2.jpg

IMG_3362-X2.jpg

Actually achieved with a sharpened toothpick. The difficulty lies in achieving a purposeful randomness, that the crew chief would react too. :fight:

Thank you Lothar, Brian, Joachim, Marcel and Mark - you guys are very kind indeed!

On 8/20/2020 at 8:10 PM, allthumbs said:

Superb work! Can you tell us how you achieved the crisp, uniform yellow/black striping on the ejection seat pull handles?

Rich

Rich, I cut pretty thin strips of Tamiya masking tape (probably less than 1mm) from the sides of the tape so I have one true edge. The handles are painted black or yellow, then masked in a spiral and sprayed the other colour. Takes some time, but very effective. I used to hand paint them, but it never achieves the desired look.

This has been a relatively quick build for me, and very satisfying. Here is a link to the RFI post, and one or two photographs as a foretaste.

IMG_3550-X2.jpg

IMG_3621-X2.jpg

IMG_3655-X2.jpg

Thanks for joining in the fun.

Sean