USAAFE F-15C

Cheetah11

Hi Max

4 hours ago, mozart said:

Good progress Nick,  hope the oleo leg turns up whilst you’re autumn cleaning! :D

I have turned my modeling room upside down with no luck. The problem is the oleo legs are not even listed in the plans as spare parts.Then the legs still need a few plastic parts.  I will have to get another kit and ask someone to copy the part in metal or see if someone in the modeling community has build one in the flying pose. This is going to be a long term fix.

In the mean time not to stall this build I have made a contingency plan.

41-DDCB75-E19-E-49-F3-8-BDE-E9049-A5-C67

BTW I love your vacu-form Lightning. I did a Falcon 1/48 Canberra in 1992 but in those days I could not find suitable wheels, so it was sold on. I am watching your build with great interest.

I finished the belly tank last night and it turned out better than expected.

32398-E17-A134-474-E-87-EE-DCEE9-E7-F0-F

Happy modeling

Nick

Hi Jens

16 hours ago, jenshb said:

Could you not order a spare part from Tamiya.  I know the post is a bit messed up at the moment, but hopefully things will get more normal before the groupbuild ends.

I will try and contact Tamiya. We unfortunately have to work through our local hobby shop ( yes, we still have one) and the cost escalates. The local importer only gets a Tamiya shipment every six months or so, so depending on the timing it could be a long time. The joys and challenges of modeling in a quasi third world country.

Cheers

Nick

I have had excellent service from TIme Tunnel Models here in the UK to order sprues from Tamiya kits.  As long as the kit is current, they will get it - normally in a couple of weeks or less.  Don't know if they will ship to South Africa though...  Might be worth contacting them?

A small update. I added a piece of spruce to the tail plane attachment point and drilled a hole into the spruce for a better fit. Upon test fitting the kit parts there was a small amount of play, so this sorted the problem.

FA4-C9-C40-A0-CF-4-F62-9978-E2-C79-D9792

I added the top deck to the front fuselage. The kit designer would most likely not approve but this sequence works better for me. An uncommon step was present after glueing the parts but at this stage easy to eliminate.

73-BBF271-91-C2-4-A33-B9-A2-56474-E950-B

Top and bottom fuselage joined and gap filled with superglue. In retrospect it would have been easier to fill the gap with plastic card.

B96-BD142-8352-44-E2-9-D6-E-B5-C4343-F8-

Happy Modeling 

Nick

The top and bottom halves joined so painting can begin.

I was fortunate enough to see a real F-15 close up at the Dutch Military Museum in 2017 and tried to replicate the bare metal parts on the fuselage with Alclad ,weathered with thin Tamiya Lacquer.

DD84-DA96-2-C15-45-FC-BDEE-93729-EB76-CF

42907-CBE-2-D45-470-D-9905-D0157-EBE2-CF

In a one and a million chance I found the missing gear leg. Actually my wife found it outside. The torque links had been nibbled away and there were teeth marks on the primer coat. I scratched the new torque links and it is now good to go. Next to the Tamiya part is the superfluous scratch build part. A day of modeling wasted, but a lot learned on designing in TinkerCad.

4B013142-4851-4B4F-8368-09FEAE6F1A66.jpg

I have a prime suspect in mind for this near disaster but he is not confessing and keeping a poker face.

3-A04395-D-0-E88-4-D13-BD0-D-A84-AF45074

Happy modeling

Nick

44 minutes ago, alain11 said:

pets are forbidden in my room , mine is 75kg and 90cm high , I let you imagine the disaster it can cause with its looong tail :o

Alain

My wife and I share our craft room. Our cat often sits right in the middle of her sewing, she (the cat) never ever comes near my work bench.......wonder why?! :angry2: