Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000D/N out now

Lothar

16 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Wait for Eduard. I'm sure there will be more ordinance etc., coming from the aftermarket sector for the 2000 series.

For the nuclear missile?  Will that be in the Brassin Plutoniumin range?

Eduard's advance products lists a Löök IP for the 2000C, and the N may follow. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

For the nuclear missile?  Will that be in the Brassin Plutoniumin range?

Eduard's advance products lists a Löök IP for the 2000C, and the N may follow. 

Tony 

The more the merrier. I've been surprised at some of their releases in 1/32 so far. It's really nice to see more attention to 1:32 Jets.

Kitty Hawk, but they brought us the OS2U Kingfisher, have things changed?

One of many reviews slamming that kit.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6236-os2u-kingfisher-by-kitty-hawk/page/2/

Sure, manufacturers release bad kits from time-to-time, but that kit was just so badly engineered....and I really wanted a 1/32 Kingfisher.

Edited by Peter Browne

5 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Kitty Hawk, but they brought us the OS2U Kingfisher, have things changed?

One of many reviews slamming that kit.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6236-os2u-kingfisher-by-kitty-hawk/page/2/

Sure, manufacturers release bad kits from time-to-time, but that kit was just so badly engineered....and I really wanted a 1/32 Kingfisher.

Actually that's my build thread. The only reason I  didn't finish it yet is I haven't figured out a good way to rig the central float to the fuselage. 

The engine mount to the fuselage is tricky but can be done with the kit parts. 

IMG_20190902_172329-L.jpg

MVIMG_20190921_155232-L.jpg

IMG_20190921_155326-L.jpg

How it currently awaits:

IMG_20190924_213618-L.jpg

The biggest thing I found was if you test fit everything before commiting to glue, the kit goes together fine. It's fiddly in places but no worse than some other kits out there. 

Carl

Take some inflexible piano wire and sink it into some JB weld, and then push that through into the central float. The JB weld hardens up and makes for a VERY stout joint.

IIRC, I think I angled the piano wire at 90 deg on one of the connections so it couldn't be seen from inside.  

The kit had its issues and weak points (including the main float tail wheel) but can be made into a stunner, and is the only Kingfisher in our scale.

2591-12.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I see the Mirage 2000D/N thread has devolved into Kingfisher talk.  Well, it lasted on topic 8 pages at least.

Sorry, got wrapped up in that myself. As or more guilty of OT stray than anyone

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Take some inflexible piano wire and sink it into some JB weld, and then push that through into the central float. The JB weld hardens up and makes for a VERY stout joint.

IIRC, I think I angled the piano wire at 90 deg on one of the connections so it couldn't be seen from inside.  

The kit had its issues and weak points (including the main float tail wheel) but can be made into a stunner, and is the only Kingfisher in our scale.

2591-12.jpg

Very nice indeed. 

Edited by Peter Browne

On 4/22/2020 at 3:59 AM, Dave Williams said:

I see the Mirage 2000D/N thread has devolved into Kingfisher talk.  Well, it lasted on topic 8 pages at least.

I had no intention to change the topic, rather the question was about the quality, reliability and consistency of Kitty Hawk kits given past 'grumblings':

"Kitty Hawk, but they brought us the OS2U Kingfisher, have things changed? "

I think this is a valid on-topic question...given that the 1/32 Mirage 2000D/N is one of their recent offerings.  I'm not sure if this has been answered, but I did take the plunge and bought the King Fisher for $70 on eBay after looking at the above contributors' superb models of that kit. ;)

Now, if Kitty Hawk would release a F-86 Sabre in 1/32, I don't believe I would hestitate to buy...but we want to stay on topic, don't we? :whistle:

Edited by Peter Browne

My 2000D/N arrived today. This is my first KH kit and I'm largely ignorant on the aircraft itself so I'll let others blaze trails ahead of me to learn on the kits foibles and whatnot. I'll also say none of the kits decal schemes do anything for me so I'll wait and see what the decal folks bring out in time. 

6 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

This is my first KH kit

Well there is one thing to know:

With Tamyia if it does not fit, you probably did not follow properly the assembly instructions.... With KH, if it does not fit, you followed the kit instructions but they are wrong....

Nothing unfeasible, you just need to dry fit a lot and be extra careful.

Edited by discus

On 4/25/2020 at 7:00 AM, discus said:

Well there is one thing to know:

With Tamyia if it does not fit, you probably did not follow properly the assembly instructions.... With KH, if it does not fit, you followed the kit instructions but they are wrong....

Nothing unfeasible, you just need to dry fit a lot and be extra careful.

As we have said all along with early Kittyhawk stuff use basic modelling skills.

I got both my Mirage 2000’s and quite impressed how far KH has come. The Pave Hawk is outstanding as well.

Great detail base fit seems good.