ICM Gladiator slow build. Finished!

quang

Hindsight is a wonderful thing: in my next Gladiator or more likely Gauntlet build, I’ll also be assembling the “engine pod” as a whole unit including outer panels. The latter do fit well but they were more fiddly to fit accurately once the engine was on the fuselage. Thoughtful work as ever Quang! 

• 2 weeks later...

Soo... the wings have been completed, painted and decals applied.

The undercarriage is glued onto the fuselage making sure that it sits square and true. It's an important point which can make or break a model.

Note that the axle location on each wheel is slightly OFFSET. That is a faithful representation of the Dowty patented hub whereas the inner centre boss is fixed while the outer rim and tyre rotate around it. Well done ICM!

Likewise, the lower wing is attached to the fuselage with extra care for the correct dihedral.

The fuselage/wing fit is excellent and no filler is needed.

DB001244-AC26-49-AE-97-DD-5-D50-DF4-FDA2

0-B88-A7-B1-37-C5-4-C8-C-A546-CF932-A11-

EF6-AAC04-5-A23-467-A-9630-556-B68-F06-D

Underside of the lower wing.

I chose to omit the wing guns as quite a few Glads flew without them. The decals are extra thin and require much precaution in applying them. You need to position them as close to the correct location as possible and slide off the backing paper UNDER the decal film.

Otherwise, they're good quality and give that printed, non-silvering look even for the large numbers under the wings.

5664-C0-C9-A0-BE-4-AB4-B46-E-D7578491-D0

With the UC and lower wing in place, small details were added like the fuel sight gauge in front of the windscreen, hand crank, various exhausts, ... as well as the finishing touches on the painting: weathering, repair patches on the fabric, navigation lights,... That must be done before adding the upper wing and the dreaded rigging.

Here are some of the pics with the engine pod added on.

0-CF4-F4-F5-00-FD-43-CA-B784-4949-FF7-F2

54-FC8-F69-BA37-42-B7-899-D-A223-E7-AF45

E660-CDC0-9327-439-E-8152-4045-A81-CC72-

A45-E55-E4-A34-F-45-AE-A7-E1-45146004351

076-D5412-CF5-E-44-E1-BB3-B-90-F7-D569-C

DA2-CCFC1-5942-4089-834-A-1-F83-F6-C0521

That's it, folks.

Guess I need some time to ruminate until the next step... RIGGING :wacko:

Questions and comments, blah blah...

Cheers,

Quang

Love it Quang, she looks wonderful!  I particularly like the hand crank......might just have to (shamelessly) copy that for my "finished" model...I won't let anybody know if you don't.  Onward and upward!!  

Regarding :wacko:rigging:blink:: on all my future builds I'm going to use the method that I used for the tailplane on my Gladiator ie a measured length of Prym with micro-tubing either end and a pre-drilled hole at the correct angle.  The micro-tubing gives you a secure and firm place to hold for a few seconds with tweezers whilst the CA sets.  It's easier than drilling all the way through the lower wing as I did.  Hope this helps.  Looking forward to more soon! :clap2:

34 minutes ago, CZPetrP said:

Slow build, but beautiful build:clap2::clap2::clap2:....

Thanks Petr. The other reason it’s slow is that I’m in no hurry to reach the rigging stage :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, mozart said:

Love it Quang, she looks wonderful!  I particularly like the hand crank......might just have to (shamelessly) copy that for my "finished" model...I won't let anybody know if you don't.  Onward and upward!!  

Regarding :wacko:rigging:blink:: on all my future builds I'm going to use the method that I used for the tailplane on my Gladiator ie a measured length of Prym with micro-tubing either end and a pre-drilled hole at the correct angle.  The micro-tubing gives you a secure and firm place to hold for a few seconds with tweezers whilst the CA sets.  It's easier than drilling all the way through the lower wing as I did.  Hope this helps.  Looking forward to more soon! :clap2:

The crank and other small details like the hand grip behind the cockpit opening while easy to manufacture yet add much interest to the finished model. 

I’ve done some soul-searching and navel-scratching about the rigging. Indeed I find your method the most simple and straightforward and will adopt it. 

22 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This is really looking the business, Quang!

Kev

The kit is a real pleasure to build, Kev!

OK folks. Today’s the day of reckoning! :blowup:

The Glad jumped out of my hand and fell on the floor.

FB29-D647-44-AF-499-D-85-C9-26-D60-F6785

150-D2999-88-C3-4-EF2-9869-2187932-DB822

Fortunately nothing vital was broken but it’ll take some time to put it all together again.
My Freudian friend says it’s just my way of procrastinating B).

Until later,

Cheers,

Quang