Markjames1968

Tamiya p38 ... in 1;48

:rofl:    what happened.

:oops:

This is what the Link shows...

A new star is on the way!

Tamiya has some exciting news indeed for fans of aircraft models! The latest product in the popular 1/48 scale Aircraft Series is scheduled for release this Autumn, and will be announced at two events here in Japan from July 25. What's more, visitors to those events will be able to purchase a special preview version of the kit in a white box, containing prototype parts and materials. We are also hoping to be able to share the model with U.S. modelers at the 2019 IPMS USA Nationals in Tennessee from August 7! See below for some sneak preview pictures - that's all we have for you... for now!

Tamiya Modeler's Gallery 2019

July 25 - July 30, Tobu Department Store Ikebukuro, Tokyo, 8th Floor Exhibition Area

3rd Shizuoka Expo in Hokkaido

July 25 - July 30, Sapporo Tokyu Department Store, 9th Floor Exhibition Area

*Parts in the preview kit are prototypes and may differ from final product.

*Limited numbers of the preview kit will go on sale, on a first-come, first-served basis.

*Purchases of the preview kit are limited to one per person.

A new star is on the way!

Tamiya has some exciting news indeed for fans of aircraft models! The latest product in the popular 1/48 scale Aircraft Series is scheduled for release this Autumn, and will be announced at two events here in Japan from July 25. What's more, visitors to those events will be able to purchase a special preview version of the kit in a white box, containing prototype parts and materials. We are also hoping to be able to share the model with U.S. modelers at the 2019 IPMS USA Nationals in Tennessee from August 7! See below for some sneak preview pictures - that's all we have for you... for now!

Tamiya Modeler's Gallery 2019

July 25 - July 30, Tobu Department Store Ikebukuro, Tokyo, 8th Floor Exhibition Area

3rd Shizuoka Expo in Hokkaido

July 25 - July 30, Sapporo Tokyu Department Store, 9th Floor Exhibition Area

*Parts in the preview kit are prototypes and may differ from final product.

*Limited numbers of the preview kit will go on sale, on a first-come, first-served basis.

*Purchases of the preview kit are limited to one per person.

8 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

If it fits like the G6, it’ll be amazing.  A must for foiling.

I'm not sure how Tamiya is accomplishing that, but the Il-2 (which actually dates from 2012) seems to have set the new current standard for them.  The fit of the parts is so utterly precise you actually can't even see the joint line when you put two parts together.  It's absolutely jaw-dropping.  As I said in my Il-2 post, if something doesn't fit, that means you didn't do it right.  If Tamiya says it fits, then it fits!

The main point I was making is that generally, twin boom aircraft models are a bit more troublesome to align than others. Alignment of the G6’s LG was solved by clever engineering.  If they can manage the same fault free alignment with the P-38’s twin booms, it will be fantastic.

Gaz

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm not sure how Tamiya is accomplishing that, but the Il-2 (which actually dates from 2012) seems to have set the new current standard for them.  The fit of the parts is so utterly precise you actually can't even see the joint line when you put two parts together.  It's absolutely jaw-dropping.  As I said in my Il-2 post, if something doesn't fit, that means you didn't do it right.  If Tamiya says it fits, then it fits!

I'm doing the new-tool 1:48 Spitfire Mk I atm, and I absolutely agree on the fit - the upper wing-fuselage joint, which is the true test of the fit on any Spitfire kit, is absolutely perfect.

They really need to scale this one up as well.

This is just more evidence to suggest Tamiya is interested in new 1/48 aircraft kits, but not interested in producing 1/32 aircraft kits at all.  Which is what people have been saying for a couple of years now.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, cbk57 said:

I am fundamentally happy with this release, I have wanted to build a p-38 for a long time and not got around to it.  Thought fairly hard about a couple of the Eduard releases where they added extra resin bits and some interesting markings.  Almost bought one on more than one occasion but always had some reason not to.  Would I prefer a 1/32 like most of you yes, however, I am sure this will have amazing detail and being a twin engine in 1/48 the physical size of the complete model will be reasonable.  I do feel that models can get too big in 1/32.  However, I just purchased a Tamiya Mosquito as I found one that offered a package deal at a good price.  

Some models can definitely be too big in 1/32; they can also be not that impressive, like a Bf-109, which still seems small-ish in 1/32.

Then again, some 1/48 aircraft seem way too small, but others are not small at all.

It all depends on subject matter.  

I have a 1/48 Tamiya Zero depicted in flight on a vertical support of square aluminum sitting on my modeling desk which I glance at all the time; it strikes me as not too big, not too small.

I think a 1/48 P-38 would make a nice sized object.

8 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I think a 1/48 P-38 would make a nice sized object.

I'm just about to do a 1/48 Academy P-38 Group Build (on another forum. sorry guys) and having taken it out of the box i can honestly say it's just a nice size to display. But there again it's not a subject matter i am particularly interested in if i'm honest. I'm doing it mostly to have a crack at the NMF paintwork because i've not really done one before.

But i can see why a 1/32 Tamiya kit would make others drool. It is an iconic aircraft and i feel it would sell a bucket load if ever produced

18 hours ago, Gazzas said:

If they can manage the same fault free alignment with the P-38’s twin booms, it will be fantastic.

Gaz

Of course they will, they are Tamiya.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

I’ll lay $500 it’s a J

I hope it is but the panel arrangement on the engine nacelle makes it look like E/F/G/H.