Mi-24 in Angola

Madmax

Hi ROM, thanks for the advice on lead handling! :lol:

Craig, I am equally interested to see how I go with the mast tilt... hope it works out. :hmmm:

It is a truly impressive lump Steve. I was very fortunate to taxi out in Entebbe this Friday just as a Hind came swooping in to give his mates a shootup at the base, zoom down the ridge-line and then join on a final for landing. My word, is this ever a speedy chopper! I could hardly believe my eyes as the only other military aircraft I have seen there was an Su-30.

Marcel, I will reveal the weapon at the end of the following post...

Thanks Oliver! I have taken much inspiration from your work. 

I have had a real mixed bag of luck with transparencies since migrating from 1:48th to larger scale models. This canopy seemed to be cracked on both flat windscreens. Fortunately the rear one was a scratch that I could polish out, but the front one was cracked and I resorted to drilling it out and replacing with a piece of clear PETG. Needless to say I nearly destroyed the now flimsy forward frame and decided to glue the front "hatch" closed to increase the strength of the canopy as a whole unit. Here you can see the added framework inside the opening part, as well as a locking handle and a piece of air-conditioning piping.

IMG_8527-XL.jpg

IMG_8529-XL.jpg

IMG_8534-XL.jpg

Each crew member has a little fan to blow air as desired in the cockpit, but the kit only provides one, so I had a little fun manufacturing another. The punch was really useful for the blades. For those who are hesitant about scratch building, here is an example of how a complex looking object is really just a collection of basic shapes.

IMG_8536-XL.jpg

IMG_8539-XL.jpg

Another example is the jettison handle.

IMG_8540-XL.jpg

IMG_8541-XL.jpg

The doors area bit basic OOB, so some PE and styrene to refine the look. Trumpy simplify the hinge mechanism by using two "elbows" on top of the door structure, but the Mi-24 only has one on the forward side, and a restraining cable on the aft side. 

IMG_8545-XL.jpg

The MONTEX mask for this canopy is quite a feat in measurement, and fits the inside perfectly. I added these fairly distinctive handles to the framework, completing the detailing.

IMG_8548-XL.jpg

IMG_8556-XL.jpg

A fire extinguisher was added to the area just behind the left side of the cockpit, and finally the fuel line that everyone must trip over when trying to access the central compartment. :huh:

IMG_8560-XL.jpg

I was in two minds about using the PE instrument panel for the pilot, but in macro it sure looks a lot neater than the kit part. you will notice that I plan to ditch the nav display provided, and rather use a blank display with a warning from my MiG-23 decals (doesn't look legible to me).

IMG_8564-XL.jpg

And to answer Marcel's question...

The most potent weapon against the Mi-24 in Angola turned out to be this little fighter - the AerMacchi MB-326K. It was licence-built by the Atlas Aircraft Corporation of South Africa, and known to us as the Impala Mk II. Armed with two DEFA 30mm canons and a well trained pilot, it was a formidable low level adversary. I will tell more of the story in due course.

IMG_8551-X2.jpg

Cheers!

Sean

Wow another incredibly detailed "MEGABUILD" you are really on a roll here, fantastic.

What a stunning photo of the Aermacchi Mb-326 KC "Impala Mk2" :wub:....how low is that!!!! Oh for a 1/32 kit of that!

On 5/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, Fvdm said:

Great build and fantastic scratchwork. 

Thanks Ferry!

On 5/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, gregair said:

What a stunning photo of the Aermacchi Mb-326 KC "Impala Mk2" :wub:....how low is that!!!! Oh for a 1/32 kit of that!

I decided to reward Greg's enthusiasm with a kit.

IMG_8566-XL.jpg

He nearly fell for it! :lol:

Since I was in the business of creating kits for my mates, here is another one. Nick, no need to scratch this one anymore... :whistle:

IMG_8568-XL.jpg

On 5/27/2019 at 6:56 AM, Madmax said:

And to answer Marcel's question...

The most potent weapon against the Mi-24 in Angola turned out to be this little fighter - the AerMacchi MB-326K. It was licence-built by the Atlas Aircraft Corporation of South Africa, and known to us as the Impala Mk II. Armed with two DEFA 30mm canons and a well trained pilot, it was a formidable low level adversary. I will tell more of the story in due course.

Cheers!

Sean

Ah, it is as I thought, but will be very good of you to share the story...

Hi Marcel, not to worry - I will tell the story as the build goes along.

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

If I might ask, what Hind book is this?

It is the 4+ publication, which I once again gained access to through my friend Lionel's inexhaustible library. I had a look at the Mushroom publication that Matt mentioned and must say that it looks great. I will have to cajole Lionel into ordering one. :lol:

On 6/5/2019 at 4:12 AM, Madmax said:

It is the 4+ publication, which I once again gained access to through my friend Lionel's inexhaustible library. I had a look at the Mushroom publication that Matt mentioned and must say that it looks great. I will have to cajole Lionel into ordering one. :lol:

I thought that it looked familiar. Until today, I'd forgotten how nice a book it really is, though I wish more of it were in color.  I don't yet own the Mushroom book, though It is on my "to get" list. Thanks a bunch.

ZGICHz.jpg

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I thought that it looked familiar. Until today, I'd forgotten how nice a book it really is, though I wish more of it were in color.  I don't yet own the Mushroom book, though It is on my "to get" list. Thanks a bunch.

If you don't have it yet, the Mushroom book is definitely worth picking up.  It's a fantastic reference on the big Hind.

Matt