Mi-24 in Angola

Madmax

Thanks very much Lothar, Gerhard, Brian, Karl, Mel and Torben!

David, I trust that Nick and Greg have more than amply answered your question. :lol: Its hard to hold back on genuine enthusiasm!

John, the SAAF also thought that night flying wasn't one of the Soviet strong points, but new evidence suggests otherwise. In 1985 I think it was done on instruments and mark one eyeball. Yefim Gordon suggests that the NVG development in Mi-24's was only completed in late 2000. 

Greg, Nick is actually our operational Puma pioneer, and it is going to be great! A Hunter will happen one day when my stash actually starts to diminish :rolleyes:. There is a darn Facebook "model sellers" thing doing the rounds over here, and like a true addict I have been befriended by a dealer. "My friend" he said, "do you need a Hip?" I'm not even on Facebook, but the Mi-17 is on its way!

Nick, you know too much...

An interesting aside - the 1:32 Puma Nick is working on has raised rivets. I understand that sanding fuselage and other joins really plays havoc with these, but man does it ever improve the surface of the model. I would have loved raised detail on the Hind, and maybe our defunct postal service will eventually deliver my positive rivets in time for the Mi-17 build. :hmmm:Gerhard, one day someone will realise just how pretty the Alouette III really is, and make us a decent kit... Not holding my breath however.

My next model, Greg, is actually an A6M2. I'm keen to see what IJN colour wars are like.

Sean 

• 5 weeks later...

I recall seeing the Mi24 flying around Fort Rucker in the late 80’s while I was getting my Army Aviator wings.  We were told not to talk about this particular aircraft.  (Yes helicopters are aircraft)! 

So a cool beast.  There was Hip flying around the Fort too.   I always wonder where these helos came from?   

Great looking model Sean.  Love the Hind.  

Troy 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:47 AM, lrmf777 said:

Amazing job Sean

Adding the story of the imps really gave “follower” value to an incredible model. 
Looking forward to your next build. 1/32 Arthur Piercy Mirage F1?

Hello lrmf777,

Is it an Emirates 777? Long range? May be well off the mark here but thought I'd try.

I saw Arthur recently, and had a good chat. Unfortunately the 1:32 F1 is just a product of my imagination. Thanks for digging up this thread!

On 11/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Troy Molitor said:

I recall seeing the Mi24 flying around Fort Rucker in the late 80’s while I was getting my Army Aviator wings.  We were told not to talk about this particular aircraft.  (Yes helicopters are aircraft)! 

Hey Troy, 

Thanks. My Dad was a helicopter pilot, and we are still at variance about the aircraft thing... ^_^

On 11/9/2019 at 10:34 PM, Madmax said:

Hello lrmf777,

Is it an Emirates 777? Long range? May be well off the mark here but thought I'd try.

I saw Arthur recently, and had a good chat. Unfortunately the 1:32 F1 is just a product of my imagination. Thanks for digging up this thread!

Hey Troy, 

Thanks. My Dad was a helicopter pilot, and we are still at variance about the aircraft thing... ^_^

Hi Sean

A bit further east of DXB “flying rubber dog .....” and indeed the 777.

I’m hoping that the more a 1/32 F1 is mentioned, the better the chances are that someone in the know might make a kit. Here’s to hoping.

Still am looking forward to the next build though, whatever master piece you make. 

Cheers Neil

Edited by lrmf777
Content