Gazzas

Scale black for 1/32: Anyuone got a formula?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be painting a large and detail rich portion of an LSP black.  Obviously, complete black will swallow up all of the details except for those that come up with dry-brushing and or chipping.  ...not really sure I wanna dry-brush...

I read some formulas (written by another modeller) for scale black according to whichever scale that might be wanted a while back, but have forgotten where and who.

So, has anyone got a plan they find that works well?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Yep, Tamiya NATO black is what I use. 

I've seen people using Tamiya flat black mixed with Tamiya dark grey, roughly 50/50, to give a lighter black. NATO black has a greenish tint.

Black is scale black. Scale color is nonsensical, but has merit for artistic purpose.

More important to worry about variation in the paint, so I'd consider Tamiya German Grey, then NATO black and Midnight Blue as a marble coat below a final black.

Ralph Riese's BF110 comes to mind for how to do it...

Gazzas, try this one also. The only place I’ve found it linked is in the ARC forum. A slow starter but finishes strong. Similar to the above Doog finishes with NATO black I believe. 

Never use white to lighten ALL colors! This is only valid for some colors. For instance, for years AFV modellers lighten US olive green with German dark yellow! This may seem weird but this is required to keep the equilibrium of the hue between primary colors as well as the correct relationship with complimentary ones. If you are not sure, do experiments.