Frank is dead! Sorry, I meant Finished!

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys, 

Here's the result of a three year build!  OK, I'm telling a lie:  started three years ago, sat on the SOD then resurrected late 2018.  The interior is painted with GSi Creos Mr Color, all the exterior with Mission Models Paints. Plus Flory Grime Wash, which I think worked well against the natural metal finish, not as stark as Black.

I used Mission's metallic paints, all over their Grey primer.  I just don't like the Black base, Alclad (or similar) faux metal look.  Bashed too much metal in the RAF to hate that sort of finish.  I mixed and matched the metallics, trying to shade as near as I could to the references.  I found a drop of Mission's Chrome could really brighten up an area, either mixed with another metallic or misted over a selected area.  Lots of quick and dirty masking, lots of tears, frustration, problems and then the flip side:  problems solved, lots of laughs at my own ineptitude and a heck of a lot of fun and enjoyment.  That is, after all, the point of modelling in the first place.

The Frank is depicted as a captured aircraft as tested at Clark Field in The Philippines, complete with US radio fit (blade aerial) the guns in place but the gun sight removed as per the reference photos.  All external markings are home made - Stars'n'Bars drawn in AutoCAD and cut in Oramask 810 on the Silhouette, the lettering on the tail below S17 are my first attempt at printing decals, certainly won't be the last!

This is my third NMF, all based on photos of real aircraft.  My Mustang C and D models depicted Test Aircraft from the Texas and California  Plants, so this model continues the themes of NMF and testing.

46695460334_05ca2a978e_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

46695460054_a4beb3be45_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

32476546477_a931d5e87b_c.jpg by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

46695460064_eaab089a51_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

33538936128_7f4a69774d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby