Jump to content
Gisbod

BIG Stuka - Airfix 1/24 finished

Recommended Posts

Thanks Erwin, Mark & Peter ^_^

 

 

7 hours ago, airscale said:

you make old crap look amazing...

 

any chance of popping round and helping out Mrs airscale?

 

great job

 

Peter

 

 

Bit harsh on the old girl (the kit, not your wife!) :D

 

Closed up & wings on now... pics to follow 

 

Guy

 

 

Edited by Gisbod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just love a plan come together this just gets more interesting as you go I do love these old kits just something about them.

Really looking forward to more updates mate keep going your on a roll

 

Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, Gisbod said:

 

 

Yes, good point. Although I have seen a period photo with cushions in...

 

 

 

Thanks Alain. Still undecided! 

 

I’ve just about finished the cockpit. A couple of odds and bobs to add. The HGW seat belts really bring it up a notch. Apart from that, I really haven’t added that much which I think is testament to the kit. Hair spray for the wear and tear. Generic placards from Airscale.

 

FBB74549-A01-C-42-C7-AB97-35-CE146-EC84-

 

 

B4-F3-B932-EE17-4-D0-F-9084-B1-CE9-DCAB9

 

 

76-C0811-B-D500-4-C08-91-AD-C99801-F8939

 

 

E6-D21347-B301-440-F-B9-D3-952-C21582851

 

 

3-F8-E5-B42-986-A-4230-9855-8-BD36776-FF

 

 

C3-B65570-90-DB-4629-9386-6-FF7939-EEC3-

 

 

Guy

 

Damn Guy, just fabulous, you are the master.

Makes me want one!

Ryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ryan said:

 

Damn Guy, just fabulous, you are the master.

Makes me want one!

Ryan

 

 

Firstly, you’ve obviously misplaced yr glasses Ryan, secondly I think you’ve got enough toys to play with already! 

 

Guy

 

ps says the the man who went to a model show yesterday and came away with three more kits :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

 

 

Firstly, you’ve obviously misplaced yr glasses Ryan, secondly I think you’ve got enough toys to play with already! 

 

Guy

 

ps says the the man who went to a model show yesterday and came away with three more kits :wacko:

 

There are worse things to spend our money on Guy! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful job Guy!

 

Not wanting to hijack your post but seeing the engine and cockpit photos reminded me that I have pictures taken from an article written by the pattern maker (Pat Tranfield) for this kit. These first two show the patterns built at 1/12 scale:

PT%20Article%2002.jpg

 

PT%20Article%2003.jpg

 

And this last one is Pat's own final kit build.

 

PT%20Article%2004.jpg

 

His son still has this actual built kit.

 

If you're interested, the full article is here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3276

 

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Sir Spendalot
Pressed the submit button too early!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sir Spendalot said:

Beautiful job Guy!

 

Not wanting to hijack your post but seeing the engine and cockpit photos reminded me that I have pictures taken from an article written by the pattern maker (Pat Tranfield) for this kit. These first two show the patterns built at 1/12 scale:

PT%20Article%2002.jpg

 

PT%20Article%2003.jpg

 

And this last one is Pat's own final kit build.

 

PT%20Article%2004.jpg

 

His son still has this actual built kit.

 

If you're interested, the full article is here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3276

 

Cheers

Paul

Very interesting photos! I first thought the top one was a Junkers full scale mock-up such as we often see from period photos.

And the time  when masters were hand made now seems such a long time ago.

 

Alain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow,

 

That’s great Paul, it must have been such a skill to make one of these from scratch :blink:. Really interesting. 

 

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

 

There are worse things to spend our money on Guy! :)

 

 

My wife says why can’t I spend it on beer & loose women like normal men do? 

 

Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, she’s beginning to look like a Stuka now and totally awkward to handle on the bench! 

 

I’ve has to use a fair bit of filler, not sure how much of this was me, the kit or just the age of the old girl. I think I the fuselage would have been a click fit, but something was restricting it closing on the bottom of the fuselage around the cockpit. Try as I might I couldn’t find the gremlin so had about a 1mm gap along the bottom. The tail plane fairings caused an issue too - my fault again, I was test fitting them and pushed them too hard and they wedged tight with another gap, stuck fast and I couldn’t get them off again :blink:. All ok now though. Can’t wait to get some paint on! 

 

 

Teaser shot:

 

 

08-A2-E127-3-FFC-4845-94-FB-98-E6-E84-B5

 

 

Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ps. I’ve sanded down the rivet detail on the surface, hopefully keeping, but just toning down, the effect. If you shut your eyes and ran your fingers over the surface it was like reading Braille :coolio:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...