"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Many thanks gents!

More work on the big Arrow last night, but nothing picture worthy yet. I got the horizontal stabilizers on last night, and spent a lot of time cleaning up the G Factor gear, which surprisingly were a tad rough VS what the OOB parts looked like. 

Ive got to stop at the store tonight and pick up some latex gloves, so I can wash and then Future the clear parts so as to not get any finger oil on the parts before dipping. I know lots of folks who get great results not using Future, but for me, the best attachment way is thin CA, and to avoid fogging up the clear parts due to CA fumes, I need to Future the clear parts. 

I also spent an hour or two last night going over and sanding all the high spots from the rear engine panels, and front engine panels, that although fit very nicely still had some uneven spots. That kind of stuff isnt fun, but necessary to a smooth paint finish later on.

I got the new QB Revi 16 gunsights, and as Ill likely work on that, as well as finish sanding everything. As soon as I have that stuff done, I can move on to some re-scribing, then it will be on to assembly.

Pics this weekend!  
Cheers, 

K2, Dennis, thanks for the kind words.

Its update time! Ive been working away on this one pretty steadily, as its been balls to the wall cold here in the middle of the US, and that makes for good modeling weather for me. Pics in a min after they get done uploading...............................

Lots of pics/pic heavy here gents so bear with me.

I started off priming and sanding the lower exit rad tunnel and screen. Shot some Mr Surfacer 1500 black in there as well as the wheel wells:

20190126_205551-XL.jpg

20190126_205539-XL.jpg

20190126_205558-XL.jpg

Then I took the PE exit scoops from the Eduard exterior set, and got them bend up with some push rods scratched up:

20190126_154805-XL.jpg

Then I painted the inside of the doors aluminum, and shot some MRP RLM 78 inside the exit ducts then glued and faired in the the doors. The rad exit door will be added later as its going to be a bit open, and I dont want to break it off. The PE doors were a mild PITA, but the scale fidelity/thickness of the parts when looking from the rear cant be beat by the plastic parts by a long shot:

20190129_132545-XL.jpg

20190129_132558-XL.jpg

20190129_132615-XL.jpg

20190129_132624-XL.jpg

I also finished up the Eduard/Brassin wheels. These are technically for the B-2 kit, but with the later nature of the A-2 Trop, I figured the single sided nose gear with the larger nose tire made sense for the potential type of theater the F-2 would have fought in. Plus, I like the look of the larger ribbed nose tire MUCH better than the tiny tiny A-0 nose wheel with the fender over it:

20190129_132254-XL.jpg

20190129_132152-XL.jpg

20190129_132156-XL.jpg

20190129_132240-XL.jpg

Still more..........................

I glued up all of the flying surfaces and roughly sanded them to shape to make sure they all fit. Then I shot some RLM 02 inside the main gear wells after detailing them a bit with some sheet styrene with riveting for strengthening plates, and some Eduard PE for the inside of the main spare. Im not done adding wiring to this yet, but got most all the weathering done, with some stains, grease and some leaks with a lot of dust.

Im not going too crazy with these on this build, as from what I can see of the real deal, there was not a ton of exposed wiring, and this is all about the look and the exterior paint on this build anyway:

20190129_131855-XL.jpg

20190129_131924-XL.jpg

20190129_131903-XL.jpg

20190129_131918-XL.jpg

I also got the leading edge landing light fared in, smoothed over and the glass polished. This looks a tad rougher than it will end up being, as I will need to paint a black boarder around it, because some of the inside paint wore off before gluing it in, and I didnt notice. I think painting a boarder around it will be fine for this purpose:

20190129_132007-XL.jpg

20190129_132012-XL.jpg

Lastly for this update, thanks to a generous LSPer I now have the tentative plan to add the extra cooling needed for the A-2 Trop version to effectively operate in the African theater.......

"The ducting for these scoops actually intrudes into the space the main center fuel tank occupies, and exits through ducting connected to the radiator exit tunnel and flows the air around the engine out the same ducts.The Luftwaffe high command did extensive testing and found that even though the modified main fuel tank was smaller to accommodate the new ducting for the rear engine and the scoops created a bit of extra drag, they found this really did not effect performance at all in the African heat, as the extra cooling lead to increased rear engine efficiency, leading to  better fuel range, which effectively off-set the smaller capacity of the modified A-2 Trop fuel tank."

This is just an initial mock-up, and I have a lot of smoothing of the scoops themselves as well as refining the fit to the fuse, but its getting there. These are just temporarily held on with some blue-tac:

20190129_131442-XL.jpg

20190129_131452-XL.jpg

20190129_131502-XL.jpg

20190129_131550-XL.jpg

All for now gents, Im off to take care of some business, them Im likely back on the Do-335 today and tonight. I'm on a roll, and havin fun! 

Thanks guys!  I must say, its all looking a bit rough to my eye ATM, so I thank everyone for their kind comments, even if things are not quite where I want them to be ATM.  Its now down to the inevitable........

Re-scribing!    YUCK!  Im not a big fan of it, and its not super duper hard, just time consuming and NOT fun to me, but is a necessary part of what I need to do.   Onward and upward!

On 1/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, Out2gtcha said:

K2, Dennis, thanks for the kind words.

Its update time! Ive been working away on this one pretty steadily, as its been balls to the wall cold here in the middle of the US, and that makes for good modeling weather for me. Pics in a min after they get done uploading...............................

Yep, currently 6° F here right now. Thankfully there's very little wind at the moment, but still very cold. Certainly an excellent day for being inside.