1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

Working on the outboard weapons pylons, the first photo shows the Hobby Boss original part, the fairings on both sides of the pylon are way too shallow, I sanded everything off and made new ones from 1/8" thick styrene. I scraped a radius onto some 1/8" to create a quarter round strip which goes between the sway braces. I wasn't going to put the sway braces on the outer pylons as I was pretty certain that I would put sidewinders on them, but I came across a photo that I had not seen before of a Harrier carrying sidewinders and the sway braces were in place. All is just taped together right now.

eioasT0.pngUz6dun9.jpgpNE0wtG.jpg1VBaScq.jpgXYe1WIi.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, patricksparks said:

Spent a couple hours putting in some more screw heads..I must have some loose ones in my head..

I used slightly larger screw heads than what I guessed as to what they are on the real thing, I figured the heads are probably in the 5/8"-3/4" diameter range, the heads I used are about 1" in scale at first I thought they might look too big but when paint goes over them they look alot smaller than what the raw brass looks like.

9NL4o2g.jpg3adeEZQ.jpgsOo5PER.jpg

Out of interest Patrick how do you secure the screwheads to the model? 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:13 AM, daveoh said:

Out of interest Patrick how do you secure the screwheads to the model? 

a little  CA on a toothpick or something similar with a point into recess and I use an xacto knife with a new blade to pick up the screw head and place it into the recess, not too much CA or it will come over the top of the screw head.

21 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Before getting too far, you may want to check the length of the pylons in the Hobbyboss kit. The ones in the Trumpeter kit were way out of length.

Matt 

Thank you for the heads up !!! I checked and the length of the pylons they are fairly close, there are so many minor and major errors on the whole kit that I decided to lighten up on myself to try and not  correct everything(it would suck the life out me to correct everything on this kit) The one thing that snagged me is I corrected the openings on the lower sides of each pylon(2 per where the sway braces live) but stupid me I never checked the center to center relationship, of course(thank you HobbyBoss) they're too close together !!!  I didn't notice until I made printed parts for the drop tank mounts that have quite a bit of detail to them and are mirrored towards each other ,when I put them on the tanks is when I realized that they were way too close,  I should have made the tank mounts first  and it would'nt have happened.Not going backwards anymore, I'll live with it...

Thank so much again for the notice !

Edited by patricksparks

IIRC, it's the middle pylon on each wing that's too long.  Or it was mounted too far forward on the kit.  Can't remember which one.  All I remember was that instead of forming a straight line across the leading edge of all three pylons, the middle stuck out way too far.

Matt

• 1 month later...

I've been following this build for quite some time now and have decided to pull mine out of the pile and throw it together. Would be great if I could get hold of some of Harold's resin replacement parts, particularly for the cockpit. Does he make to order or are they off the shelf?