I must be a grumpy old man

TimHepplestone

I watched the Wings of War last night on naval aviation.

Whilst it has a Brit narrator for us over here, it was obviously weighted to US audiences looking at the content.

I think we need to take into account that these are made for a general audience and not people like us who tend to know a bit more about aviation than the average person.

1 hour ago, TorbenD said:

Wings of War series on the BoB cheesed me off so much the other night that my inner GOM (grumpy old man) made a spectacular appearance.

I was expecting the odd Buchon to show up in the footage but the major Spitfire shown was a late war Griffon engined bubbletop with 4 cannons. After live footage of P47s shooting down FW190s I just turned it off and mumbled into my whisky about the sloppiness of it all. 

Shame, the commentary and interviews were good and the previous WW1 programme got a lot right... although thinking about it I reckon some WWI expert almost certainly turned that off screaming at the screen before halfway too.

Each to their own...:shrug:

Mumbling into a whisky is definitely a symptom of grumpy old man-itis. I have the same symptom,(preferably single malt) and sometimes , just sometimes I think the whisky mumbles back.

One of my many movie/TV show pet peeves is when someone swings open the cylinder of a double action revolver (to make sure it's loaded), then spins the cylinder. This is invariably accompanied by a rapid clicking sound, and that just makes me crazy.

9 hours ago, PhilB said:

I think we need to take into account that these are made for a general audience and not people like us who tend to know a bit more about aviation than the average person.

Yes, that is true, but as I was told long ago and I tell people now: It really doesn't take more work to get it right than it does to get it wrong so why not do it right?

My worst face-palm moment: I knew Pearl Harbor was going to be bad two minutes in when they were in the theater playing "Movietone News" about the German invasion of France, 1940 and the clip supposedly showing a Panzer II or III going through brush was actually a US Pershing!

I too used to get annoyed and I am a very [ at times ] Grumpy old man, but as the years have worn on I now temper this anger by feeling sorry for those that work in TV media,

they generally are very simple souls with low ambitions apart from spending their too large wages on endless consumer goods and lifestyles, and can't think for themselves and just copy what their colleagues buy, and take over pretty seaside towns because 'Rupert and Gillian' have just bought a one up one down terraced house for £750K.

Have you noticed that they are always quick to show off how clever they are but people who are actually clever like Engineers etc never get a mention, and all they have to do in life is show stuff on telly that somebody else has done and get it accurate, how difficult can it be?

I can't think of the countless times when they show any film of the battle of Britain and say the RAF is finally getting the upper hand and taking toll of the Luftwaffe and the next shot is clearly a spitfire diving upside down into the drink..!?

I'm actually seriously going to take my TV to the dump as soon as it's my responsibility to pay the TV licence, I've had enough!

Graham. 

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

I too used to get annoyed and I am a very [ at times ] Grumpy old man, but as the years have worn on I now temper this anger by feeling sorry for those that work in TV media,

they generally are very simple souls with low ambitions apart from spending their too large wages on endless consumer goods and lifestyles, and can't think for themselves and just copy what their colleagues buy, and take over pretty seaside towns because 'Rupert and Gillian' have just bought a one up one down terraced house for £750K.

Have you noticed that they are always quick to show off how clever they are but people who are actually clever like Engineers etc never get a mention, and all they have to do in life is show stuff on telly that somebody else has done and get it accurate, how difficult can it be?

I can't think of the countless times when they show any film of the battle of Britain and say the RAF is finally getting the upper hand and taking toll of the Luftwaffe and the next shot is clearly a spitfire diving upside down into the drink..!?

I'm actually seriously going to take my TV to the dump as soon as it's my responsibility to pay the TV licence, I've had enough!

Graham. 

I’ve seen that very image of which you speak and the voice over doing the narrative! I think we’ve been watching the same documentaries... also looks (if I remember correctly) like a A6M5C Zero somehow ended up doing battle over England and splashing in the Atlantic...I remember thinking at the time, they’ve got the wrong aircraft there!

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

My worst face-palm moment: I knew Pearl Harbor was going to be bad two minutes in when they were in the theater playing "Movietone News" about the German invasion of France, 1940 and the clip supposedly showing a Panzer II or III going through brush was actually a US Pershing!

To be honest, knowing Ben Affleck was going to be in it should have been a red flag.

16 hours ago, PhilB said:

... these are made for a general audience and not people like us who tend to know a bit more about aviation than the average person.

Why ?  a complete waste of time and money in that case. 

nGBNjRa.jpg

6 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Graham. 

TV licence? What's that?

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Why ?  a complete waste of time and money in that case. 

Oh I agree Mike.

Unfortunately there seems to be a plague of stupidity sweeping the planet.

Stupidity is the default setting for those that can just about stop their knuckles dragging on the floor and walk upright.

I blame mobile (cell)  phone signals.......................:evil_laugh:

1 hour ago, Gerhard said:

TV licence? What's that?

It's called extorsion.

Every year in the UK to watch tv you have to pay money which is then sent to the BBC which produces things called "costume dramas" and lots of other cr*p.

The only good thing about the BBC is that they don't have commercials and none of those "reality" shows where strange people with bleached teeth and lots of fake tan talk complete bo**ocks and are superb role models for the youth of today..........................................NOT!

:D

Edited by PhilB

I don't think the BBC is corrupt.

Run by millenials now though and a good dose of stupidity thrown in.

As an example on the BBC breakfast show the weather presenters are often sent somewhere "interesting" to do the weather.

The other morning she was at one of the big national garden type places standing by a lake.

"I'm standing by 7 acre lake. It's called that because it covers 7 acres"

Really?

I would never have guessed. :rofl: