MiG-29A in Luftwaffe Service

Madmax

I was hoping the rudders would be hidden away behind the instrument panel, but no such luck. They are really bad, so I reworked the basic shape and used pieces of aluminium for the foot rest and styrene for the restraints.

IMG_7553-XL.jpg

IMG_7558-XL.jpg

The floor ahead of the rudders does show some wear and tear in the reference photo's I have. The chromate primer and metal floor are variously exposed, and well suited to the 3 layered hairspray-technique.

IMG_7572-XL.jpg

After a lot of finicky brush painting, here the basic parts are - ready for weathering.

IMG_7577-XL.jpg

The instrument panel is a mix of kit and airscale decals. I see that some of the instruments will need to be replaced with larger ones :unsure:. The macro effect of these pictures can be a great help, but not very flattering.

IMG_7580-XL.jpg

I really am enjoying the Quickboost seat. I used left over MiG-23 decals for the stencilling. Please don't translate what it actually says as they were randomly chosen! :whistle:

IMG_7588-XL.jpg

Misha, I'm afraid the neat work is about to get a bit dirty.

After spraying on Microscale "Flat", I mixed up a thin oil wash which is a mix of vandyke brown, black and some white - which I then used as a panel line accent and general wash. Simple.

IMG_7596-XL.jpg

Whilst assembling the cockpit, I realised the rudder pedals were a bit close to the floor, so I added a little extension to the mounting.

IMG_7607-XL.jpg

Then it became apparent that the cockpit tub has no front "firewall" and you can see into the fuselage. Maybe it won't actually matter, but I felt that a little detail here wouldn't hurt. This is modelling tissue paper dipped in thinned white glue and shaped to look like crumpled fabric. I sprayed it in a darker green than the actual material appears - otherwise it will look a bit garish!

IMG_7613-XL.jpg

IMG_7620-XL.jpg

IMG_7623-XL.jpg

IMG_7629-XL.jpg

With that bit of silliness out of the way, here are the components after oil paint washes and a bit of buffing (which also means breaking off fine detail re-glueing and all the usual routine). Chalk Pastel and soft pencil dust were used to get some patina on the seat.

IMG_7640-XL.jpg

The label strips for the circuit breakers were given little white lines to break the solid black decal strip - painted with a fine brush. A bit messy. It would be great if manufacturers spent a bit more time on decals for the cockpit including placards etc...

IMG_7643-XL.jpg

This sidewall is the better moulding of the two.

IMG_7647-XL.jpg

Bigger Airscale instruments added in places. This is only the second time I have done an IP with decals placed into recesses, and hopefully the last. The decals seem to become demonic, squirming out of the recess, turning to the wrong angle and cracking the minute you think you have it in place. Aaaaargh!

IMG_7648-XL.jpg

Anyway, cockpit done...

IMG_7649-XL.jpg

IMG_7653-XL.jpg

Now for an interesting challenge. This kit (as with the  Italeri Mirage III and Starfighter), would have you glue an undercarriage leg into the well in the early construction phase. With my ability to break stuff off models, this is a very, very bad idea. Where has my drill got to? :wacko:

IMG_7656-XL.jpg

17 minutes ago, blackbetty said:

Very nice work, love the 29. are you going to try and correct the sidewalls of the front fuselage?

Thanks Karl!

I am going to give it a bash if there is enough material to "carve" it into a more accurate shape. Dread the thought of the re-scribing though. :rolleyes:

Fetish.

Most modellers have one, like instrument panels or weathered props or maybe even rivets. It appears mine is wheel-wells. Maybe this is a shameful obsession, but I suspect it comes from years of pre-flight inspections. This is the vulnerable underbelly, and the right place to check on the health of the aircraft. Surely model aircraft deserve to have inspectable guts too.

As mentioned, the idea of attaching the nose wheel at this early stage didn't appeal to me, so here is a procedure to create a removable one:

Dry fit the whole assembly and then drill holes into the gear leg from above at the pencil marks. Now cut slots into the circle/square attachment openings so that the leg can slide in and out. you will need some pegs to fit into the drilled holes to keep the leg at the correct angle (I used pieces of hypodermic syringe). Now it is safe to add detail to the leg!

IMG_7657-XL.jpg

IMG_7658-XL.jpg

IMG_7660-XL.jpg

Don't forget to polish the piece of oleo that will be visible. Gotta love metal leg inserts.

IMG_7663-XL.jpg

I have added plumbing according to taste, really just trying to get an impression of the leg and work within the limits of available materials and eyesight (I won't be applying for a job with Aires :lol:).   

IMG_7666-XL.jpg

IMG_7671-XL.jpg

The main gear wells are actually very well represented as pure surface canvasses. At first the gear mounting looks very precarious, but will make sense later...

IMG_7674-XL.jpg

These detail bits look like gas bottles or fire extinguishers but I can't find them in my references so I filled the holes instead. The circle shows where the main-gear attachment is anchored!

IMG_7679-XL.jpg

Blank canvas...

IMG_7682-XL.jpg

Guts included, same limitations as for the nose wheel apply.

IMG_7690-XL.jpg

IMG_7691-XL.jpg

I then turned my attention to the main-gear legs. I suggest careful sanding and clearing of the parts before attaching the plastic outer to the metal core. Don't ask! :huh:

IMG_7687-XL.jpg

Somehow the fit of the main gear is not precise, and it seems the retraction jack is a bit too long. Don't try to bend the metal leg! Rather fit the assembled gear leg at the beginning when attaching the precarious mounting - lesson learned. This is a drill and strengthen fix to a broken metal leg.

IMG_7695-XL.jpg

Some fun awaits however, and I enjoyed replicating this characteristic curling of hydraulic lines around the base of the gear leg.

IMG_7699-XL.jpg

Now to make sense of a very interesting build sequence that would have the top and bottom halves of the aircraft in conflict with each other like "CatDog".

Cheers,

Sean