WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

So WW wont release a DR-1 because Roden have one out that needs half the parts replaced yet will put out a Lancaster with a ripper one from HK about to be released.

The HK kit was announced several years ago.

Im sure it will be incredible with an incredible price but a DR-1 and Spad would of been far more welcome.

I am a big WNW supporter, but for all that empty talk that is attributed to them about not doing kits that other good companies are doing, this is an astonishing act of hubris on their part.  Just as HK models is poised to release their kit, this announcement comes.  I know that this is a "Dambusters" specific kit, but my gosh!  I really wish HK models all the best with their kit and I know how much they have invested in that model.  I do not want to see a fine manufacturer of great 1/32 models forced out of business by this move.  I for one don't necessarily buy into the idea that WNW will always make a superior kit compared to others and I will be buying the HK models kit.

Edited by esarmstrong

15 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I just want to interject here briefly and ask that we keep this discussion civil, please. This is a kit announcement, that is all. Sure, it might have a negative impact on the HK Models' release, but that's business.

Kev

It might be business but I just don’t think the market is big enough to support multiple releases of such a large and expensive model. I feel a bit sorry for HK in this case. I think the negative impact would take the form of less sales available to HK which would mean less kits in the long run for us.

2 minutes ago, ericg said:

I think the negative impact would take the form of less sales available to HK which would mean less kits in the long run for us.

Unfortunately, I think that might be the case and regardless if WnW did anything with any kind if intent, I feel bad for HK as well, as I am a large scale aircraft modeler, and HK makes some good ones. I too certainly dont want the end result to be less kits coming on the market in my scale.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm not sure how long the WnW kit was in development, but if it was in fact in development for 8 years, that would be a tough thing to just give up because another manu announced a similar release.

Yes but HK have always been out there that they wanted to do it. For a lot of modellers this will be a once in a lifetime purchase. HK have primed the market for a long time for people to gear up to buy a Lanc that is now about to be released on the market and WNW have I think steamrolled over the top and will take a lot of wind from their sails. This is a bad thing for the modelling community in general.

35 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

I have contacted Dave @ WNW, he can confirm that over 8 years of research, design and tooling have gone into this model.... so far.

I believe it. Given how much effort wnw puts into their kits, I would think this is more of a coincidence rather than trying to crap on HK's parade. I seriously doubt wnw just went trumpeter and announced a kit as a placeholder for future release. Given the flamming wnw got for the delay in releasing their camel I would think they are at the tail end of their nearly decades long project. It may impact HKs sales but wnw is a dam buster variant (so far) which has a limited markings option. The HK kit is a more mainstream version. There will be room for both IMO.

Edited by The Dude

3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm not sure how long the WnW kit was in development, but if it was in fact in development for 8 years, that would be a tough thing to just give up because another manu announced a similar release.

Yes, but WNW have always said they've no plans to do anything other than WWI subjects. Certainly not WWII stuff.

They produce kits in secret, with no advanced warning. So to market a bloody Lanc is just so unexpected.

I'll not be buying one. I'll support HK by buying theirs.

Just now, ericg said:

Yes but HK have always been out there that they wanted to do it. For a lot of modellers this will be a once in a lifetime purchase. HK have primed the market for a long time for people to gear up to buy a Lanc that is now about to be released on the market and WNW have I think steamrolled over the top and will take a lot of wind from their sails. This is a bad thing for the modelling community in general.

I do see where you are coming from.

I'm not 100% sure it will be bad overall, as the modeling community may just surprise you.

You may be right in the end but honestly I hope not. I hope the market can right itself and we will ideally end up with more choices not less, and two surviving and thriving model companies........I hope.