Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

thanks Neo. Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to be doing.. I did the same thing with the top half of the hull too. I just happened to run out of the base colour right when I needed it. To be fair, I have only used one pot of paint for the whole ship so far, so I am pretty happy in that respect

thanks guys. It looks good but found some rough spots where the paint dried before it hit the body. There's no way I can sand it back as it'll destroy the detail below it. Thankfully, its on the bottom half of the ship and no one will really be looking under there (hopefully) - at least, not touching it :)

In the mean time, I have been threading fibers which is really boring and certainly not photo worthy just yet

On 4/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, The Madhatter said:

thanks guys. It looks good but found some rough spots where the paint dried before it hit the body. There's no way I can sand it back as it'll destroy the detail below it. Thankfully, its on the bottom half of the ship and no one will really be looking under there (hopefully) - at least, not touching it :)

In the mean time, I have been threading fibers which is really boring and certainly not photo worthy just yet

Can't you clean a limited area with something non-solvent like 100% isopropyl?  It will cut through everything but enamel without harming plastic?

3 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Not a bad idea but I'm using Mr Hobby Gundam colours which are (I think) lacquer based. Would it still work on that paint type? If so, then I might do just that

Yes, it will eat through lacquers easily.  Always test on a paint hack to be sure.

Looking amazing.

WRT the dry / powdery paint areas, I use a stiff bristled brush, perhaps an old, flat style, cut down a bit to just leave short, stiff bristles, and rub the area with that to get rid of the powdwery paint on the surface. Usually works a treat without damaging the actual paint underneath.

Cheers,

Motty.