Dragon/ Aims conversion Bf 110g 4 night fighter

chrish

Thanks again for looking in on the build, and kind comments. You're a great bunch here!

David, I've sent some pictures of the build to some of the guys in my club as well, the comments have been:

"lay off the coffee

"do you get these seizures often?" and

"great job, ok you can start drinking again"

great bunch in my club hey?

Work has progressed using the wet paper mask method, remember you saw it here first...did you really? I have applied the fuselage markings and under wing markings with the wet paper masks.

sak5YlZ.jpg

aqCQeIm.jpg

gFyatrh.jpg

gqf4GFj.jpg

Not the easiest way of placing painted on markings to be sure but, when your (my) OCD kicks in and you really want painted on markings on top of non stick paint your options are limited. One of the under wing crosses is very slightly asymmetrical between the inner black and outer white crosses but not much worse than some decal makers do...Ive made an executive decision to live with it.

How’s that phrase go; necessity is the mother of invention? You know what I mean? I’m glad it worked that’s for sure! 

As of now the wings are on, rear vac canopy on, exhaust shields and wheels attached and beginning decalling... pictures to follow. 

As always, thanks for looking and commenting

Edited by chrish
Spelling

work progresses, albeit slower than I'd hoped but, it's still progress.

XAYbN9a.jpg

SejRJ8G.jpg

KlGAS2O.jpg

Finally up on her legs, it will require a bit of paint touch up on the belly and canopy sills, you can see the masking going on the canopy. I hope to begin decalling soon, I'll have to use the Dragon instructions I guess.

The Aims set has very nice decals but not a clue as to where they go and no instructional indications. I have also decided to forgo the rest of the photo-etch as well since 2d brass bits, me and super glue is just a recipe for disaster! 

Makes for a much more enjoyable build leaving out the frustrating bits...

Built up and installed the array last night. In my infinite wisdom, I installed the masts before putting the aerials on them. The mixed up order caused some head scratching and verbal self abuse but ended up going together... not great but ok. The starboard lower mast (boom?) is slightly higher than the port side causing the aerials on that side to be slightly farther out compared to the top array on the same side, a quite difficult (for me) assembly to build in a symmetrical appearance in the X,Yand Z axis's.

Some pictures.   

L8pnohd.jpg

fgpXMRf.jpg

zDw2bLC.jpg

I'll probably end up breaking the glue joint on the lower port mast and try re-aligning it yet...it's the OCD.

Well I'm calling the 110 finished, other than an antennae wire that is. I'll get to that...tomorrow? 

A few pictures and then that'll be all folks.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my build along the way. It's been appreciated! 

nkhITKR.jpg

eaYwY2V.jpg

2r485qr.jpg

dnwWwGS.jpg

1QoRiTT.jpg

and the last picture is the newly completed Aims kit with the old Largescale Planes 110 in the background, a crude kit by comparison!