Russian P-40E with Klimov M-105 engine

BiggTim

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Question on the real thing - how common was this aircraft?  Was it just a one-off mod or did these re-engined P-40's see service in significant numbers.

The only sources I can find on it suggest that the Russians field modified around 40 of them, though I'm not sure where the source got that info. So, not a major player, and it reportedly didn't perform super well, but I found it an interesting subject. 

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

20 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

The only sources I can find on it suggest that the Russians field modified around 40 of them, though I'm not sure where the source got that info. So, not a major player, and it reportedly didn't perform super well, but I found it an interesting subject. 

Tim

Works for me, I think it’s an awesome choice.   I love slightly off- beat subjects.  

I did some research on this to see how best to correct the humps and move forward with the exhaust pipes. I have a bunch of very detailed and dimensioned drawings of the M-105 (AKA VK-105PF) engine used in these conversions, though nothing that indicates the exact configuration used. I may post those drawings later, as I don't have access to them from work. Using those, I sketched out a quick layout of the exhaust ports on a piece of tape and aligned it with where I believe it would sit in the P-40E.

I also did some looking around to try and determine what might have been sitting on top of the engine to necessitate the larger central hump, and how big it might have been. I found this picture showing a cylindrical oil tank (green) mounted right on top in exactly the right place and location, so I'm betting these conversions probably had something similar. That would also suggest there was likely an oil filler cap on top of the central hump.

Capture.jpg

Klimov-VK-105-PF.jpg

Based on this info, I am redesigning the two smaller humps as shown, and I will be leaving the central hump pretty much as-is, since it seems to fit the oil tank location pretty well. I will be adding a flush oil filler cap to the top of the hump.

I will also be revising my plan for the exhaust pipes. I was going to do them much as Brengun did in their 1/48 conversion, but I now believe their configuration is inaccurate. You can see form this photo:

20200223-175031.jpg

they arranged the exhaust stubs evenly spaced. It now seems clear to me that these would not be evenly spaced, but spaced exactly as the exhaust ports on the cylinder head. You can also see this on the tape sketch above. It also seems that I will ave to extend my exhaust slot opening to the rear a bit more to account for the swept back nature of the pipes.

IMG_5532.jpg

More work to do this evening, if time permits.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

Well, it's almost ready to try and make molds, as soon as I can get some new silicone ordered. Managed to actually model the pipes in Fusion and print them, so I'm pretty happy with that. I had some issues with the hollow rear end being too thin, but I corrected that by replacing it with a bit of copper tube.

20200227-204326.jpg

20200227-204402.jpg

I'll try to take some better photos with the Canon this weekend, before I get to mold making. 

Tim

40 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yeah bud, that is pretty dang nice work! 

Any idea on scheme yet?

Seems like there were a few cool ones.

Honestly, I've only seen one scheme, though many different renderings of it. Always the same number, 20, same boring white paint. Odd thing is, I can't find any photographic sources for this plane at all, so I don't know where the scheme even came from. I know it's supposedly from the 196 IAP, but that's about it. 

1_27.jpg

The only other one out there, 27, is a two-seater. Again, no backup sources available. I might just make something up.

Tim