Russian P-40E with Klimov M-105 engine

BiggTim

On 3/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, BiggTim said:

At this point, Wolf, I doubt the Seattle spring show will happen on April 18, since the state gov't has shut down darn near every public gathering of over 10 people until the end of April. I have been checking IPMS Seattle's FB page for announcements. They plan to make the final call on March 25, but I expect they will have to re-schedule for later in the year. Good for me, since that increases the chances that I will get something done by then!!

Tim

As follow up, the spring show in Seattle is officially cancelled, as the venue will not re-open until the end of April. It may be re-scheduled for  a later date this year, but nothing has been settled yet, and won't be for some time, obviously.

I need a little advice. I do not have any good P-40 references, so I'm relying on the internet to find what I can. Trouble is, there are so many subtle differences in P-40 variants, that I am having a tough time finding solid info on all of the lights that should be on an E model. I read Thierry's old tweak list, and a few other threads here.

Here's what I believe is correct so far:

- Delete the fuselage side lights below the canopy. 

- The right wing tip lights should both be green (bluish lenses, with a warm bulb = green light)

- The left wingtip lights should both be red lenses.

- The tail lights should both be white or clear lenses.

- The landing light on the bottom side of the left wing is clear.

Here's where I get stuck:

- Many photos of actual planes and lots of builds, show another white or clear light on the fuselage spine right behind the cockpit - others don't show it, and the kit does not include one. Which is right for an E model?

- The kit has two formation? lights on the bottom of the fuselage right behind the wing root, but almost every E model photo I can find does not show these lights. I assume they should be deleted, is that correct?

- There is also another large light molded on the bottom of the right rear wing root that I can't find good info on. What is it, and should it be there? If so, what color is it?

A couple of other things not related to lights:

- There is a hole in the front of the right wing root (for a cockpit vent, I think). Shouldn't there be one on the left side, too?

- I believe the hole in the front of the right landing gear knuckle is BS, and should be filled. Is that correct?

- I can't decide whether to add the little gun camera pod or not. It certainly doesn't show up in a lot of photos, so what do you guys think? Thanks,

Tim

Almost ready for paint. I hope to get some on later today, after work. This working from home is tough. Too many things like this just a few feet away calling to me all day....

20200330-113126.jpg

20200330-113116.jpg

20200330-113023.jpg

20200330-112948.jpg

My fun station is now also my work station. 

20200330-112910.jpg

Happy to still be earning a paycheck, but there are definitely some cons to this setup.

Tim

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! It looks really great under primer...........Cons? Like as in your modeling setup, or cons with the Job?

The working at home/virus situation, all that crap. I don't really like working from home. I prefer to keep home and work VERY separate, so it's tough. There are some definite cool parts, though. It's quieter here than the office and work well alone (like most of us modelers), it forces me to keep my work table cleaner, I don't have any dress code, and I can stop and take naps when I want! So I can't really complain, especially since I'm still getting my full paycheck when a lot of others aren't. 

• 2 weeks later...