Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

7 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

He's back! Superb work as always, Wolf.

Kev

Thanks Kev!

Self isolation has given me the time I need to get back at the Corsair. Inspiration from John Kim's build of the Corsair has also helped a lot. Interestingly enough I'm also building Pappy Boyington's plane but this one is 177883.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolf - looks like the premiere Corsair model in the world!   Combine Tamiya and your skills and....wow.  Question - what paint did you use for those exhaust pipes?  Very convincing looking.  Oh wait!  No paint?  Just checked Rexx and they come that way.  That right?  

Edited by JayW

Awesome update!  I love the additional details that you are putting on your Corsair.  Do you like the AK Real paints?  I like em very much!  Watch out for the Sea Blue... look in the bottle to see if there are some unmixed dots of white.  One of my bottles had this and it would intermittently spit out a tiny pixel of white now and then.  Easy to address but weird.

17 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks Kev!

Self isolation has given me the time I need to get back at the Corsair. Inspiration from John Kim's build of the Corsair has also helped a lot. Interestingly enough I'm also building Pappy Boyington's plane but this one is 177883.

Cheers,

Wolf

Since it was this build that inspired me to start my Corsair, I'm happy that I could return the favor!  :)

15 hours ago, JayW said:

Hey Wolf - looks like the premiere Corsair model in the world!   Combine Tamiya and your skills and....wow.  Question - what paint did you use for those exhaust pipes?  Very convincing looking.  Oh wait!  No paint?  Just checked Rexx and they come that way.  That right?  

Hi Jay,

Thank-you for checking in. Yes, the Rexx exhaust come that way, beautifully discoloured, but if handled too much they start to loose their patina. When Moskit originally released these metal exhaust they said you could restore the patina by putting them in a heated oven for a short period of time. Obviously before being attached to the model, LOL! I’m assuming that the Rexx exhaust are created the same way but I don’t know for sure. If prolonged handling is going to be the case I’d think that wearing surgical gloves to prevent the oils from your skin changing the part’s patina would be a good precaution. The pipes are very thin and look amazing as well as a drop fit replacement for the kit pipes.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

45 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Awesome update!  I love the additional details that you are putting on your Corsair.  Do you like the AK Real paints?  I like em very much!  Watch out for the Sea Blue... look in the bottle to see if there are some unmixed dots of white.  One of my bottles had this and it would intermittently spit out a tiny pixel of white now and then.  Easy to address but weird.

Since it was this build that inspired me to start my Corsair, I'm happy that I could return the favor!  :)

Hi John,

Thanks for the inspiration!

Yeah, I’ve noticed a couple of curious characteristics of AK’s paints. I haven’t had any issues with the Sea Blue but the Intermediate Blue, if not mixed thoroughly tends to look light purple in hue as opposed to blue.  A couple of times, when sitting for a while, after thinning it wouldn’t mix back to the blue hue so I had to thin a new batch and spray. The other issue I’ve run in to is that there doesn’t seem to be quite enough of the Insignia white paint. At least I seem to be going through it quicker than the other colours. I’ve now gone to laying a base coat of Tamiya’s fine white primer first and then light coats of the AK’s Insignia White. Other’n that I really like the AK paint.

Cheers,

Wolf

20 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

As I've been bouncing around through the various steps of construction and experimenting with AK paints I decided to assemble and paint the rudder. That included adding the small hook atop the rudder post that the antenna wire will attach to.

Corsair_40.jpg

I would never dare put something like that on my model until it was painted and completely done. I would break that thing off if I farted too close to it or even looked at it wrong.

Edited by BiggTim

4 hours ago, BiggTim said:

I would never dare put something like that on my model until it was painted and completely done. I would break that thing off if I farted too close to it or even looked at it wrong.

Hey Tim, LOL!

Normally I wouldn’t add anything like that until the end either but the photo etch piece is quite sturdy. To add it to the rudder post I whittled away half the width off the top of the rudder post. I then ca’d the hook in place and built up the rudder post width with the ca and restore it to it’s original width. That little hook is rock solid!

Cheers,

Wolf