1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments! The main gear actuating arms have been painted.  Here are all of the landing gear components presented together.  The brake lines still need to be added and I may give them a bit of weathering before I call them done.

IMG_2654.jpg

I made up some pre-painted wiring harnesses for the main wheel well bay.  Still thinking about how I want to go about painting and assembling the wheel bay components.

IMG_2652.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Hey guys... thanks for the comments! I've been stalled on this build because I have not been confident about how to go about securing the Aires resin cockpit/wheel well. Outside of the main resin components, there are a number of small rods and wires represented int resin that need to be attached. Normally, I would prefer to glue everything together and then paint but it would be impossible to paint. So I have to paint-assemble-paint-assemble and thinking about it has replaced the actual doing for the better part of a month.

I gave myself a kick in the pants to get on with it so here goes... The first domino to fall will be the resin wheel well boxes that go in the wings. These are small and I've ascertained their position after numerous dry-fitting sessions. So I paint the wheel wells first. Nothing added just painting the resin parts and giving it a wash.

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

I then glued the boxes into the wings using JB Quik Weld. It's a 2-part epoxy that sets fast... hard about five minutes. I like it for this kind of application as it creates a strong bond and adjustments can be made in those few minutes before the epoxy starts to harden. That front spar resin piece has not been glued into place yet but you can see how nice it fits here instead of trying to balance it on the curved wheel well tub.

IMG_2755.jpg

Checking to see if the upper wings halves fit properly.

IMG_2753.jpg

The boxes have been pushed a little bit towards the center as you can tell from the overhang. My dry-fitting told me that this is necessary to allow the edges of the wheel boxes to line up with the sidewalls.

IMG_2754.jpg

I'm going to paint the main resin pieces and then assemble them and fit them into the fuselage. I'll add the extra bits and pieces afterwards... hopefully I'll to be able to reach the places I need to reach. The front spar piece is included but I forgot to pull it off of the wing for this pic.

IMG_2756.jpg

The resin components are given a base coat of black. I'm going to paint the wheel wells aluminum with some RLM 02 added in areas.

IMG_2758.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

I spent the weekend painting the wheel well components. After the black base, I sprayed all of the parts Alclad Polished Aluminum.

IMG_2762.jpg

After several rounds of brush painting, the painting of the wheel well is pretty much complete. I added some spare stencil markings on the plain boxes.

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

I will seal the paint with a gloss coat and then begin the weathering process, starting with a pastel wash.

Edited by Thunnus

Continuing the work on the wheel wells... time for a dirty wash. I make my own washes from pastel chalks. It's really simple. I just scraped a bit of pastel chalk into a small amount of water and add a dab of dishwashing soap to help break the surface tension of the water and ease the mixing process. I can customize the color mix for whatever the situation calls for. I am going to use a brown wash here on the wheel wells.

IMG_2773.jpg

Here are the wheel well components after the wash.

IMG_2775.jpg

The parts are then sealed with a flat coat.

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

Let's see what the assemble wheel well component look like in place.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

The view into the wheel well area starts to get obscured once the wings go on.

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks for the comments guys!  Just to follow up from yesterday's work, I forgot to post the photos from the top side as I wanted to confirm the positioning of the cockpit.

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

The final position of the cockpit will be moved forward a touch as there is some play between the bulkhead and cockpit tub that will be eliminated when things are glued into place.

Edited by Thunnus