1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

John,

I re-read the topic twice today—both times enjoying your choices immensely! What beautiful resin cockpit details—and the way you have fitted the pieces within the Trumpeter's interior is impressive. Plus, your paint-work is absolutely tops.

What I find my take away is concerns particularly the parts of your prep work—when you were re-scribing and sanding the fuselage sections which were uneven—and how you continue to make these refinements down the line—always maintaining the crispness and integrity of the finish.

Cheers,

Bruce

I did some work on the nose wheel well, which is from the kit. The orifice is long, deep and narrow, making it difficult to work with but fortunately it is split in half between top and bottom, which gave me an opportunity to add some wiring. The detail on the top of the wheel well is a photoetch piece from the Aires set.

IMG_2598.jpg

The nose wheel well, like the main wheel well, is a joint assembly featuring the structures above it, in this case, the nose gun bay. My bird will be buttoned up so I am not going to do any work on the guns.

IMG_2599.jpg

Here is a view into the painted nose wheel well after assembly.

IMG_2600.jpg

I've been thinking about how to add the brake line to the landing gear. When attached prior to painting, the brake line always gets in the way of painting so I decided to try something new. I've added small pieces of brass tubing to the nose landing gear leg to serve as connection points for the brake line.

IMG_2601.jpg

After painting the legs, I can string lead wire through the brass tubing to represent the brake lines. I've added some brass tubing to the retraction arm as well. The photo below shows what the parts look like with the lead wire in place. At this point, the wire pieces are removable.

IMG_2603.jpg

That seemed to be a workable plan so I did something similar to the main gear legs.

IMG_2604.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Thank you Dan!  Here is the Revi gunsight.  I added the reflector glass from a thicker plastic than what the Aires set came with so that I could highlight the edges of the rear element with clear blue/green.  Due to the construction ahead, I'll hold off on attaching the gun sight until the cockpit tub has been glued into place and the front windscreen is ready to be installed.

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

Lovely work !!!

John, I really love what you're doing with this build! I have both the day and night fighter versions of this kit, and from what I see of your build, it looks like the Aires detail set is well worth the investment. The 262 is one of my all time favourite aircraft so I'm following your effort with great interest.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Wolf

John, I really love what you're doing with this build! I have both the day and night fighter versions of this kit, and from what I see of your build, it looks like the Aires detail set is well worth the investment. The 262 is one of my all time favourite aircraft so I'm following your effort with great interest.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!  One of the reasons why I started posting here at LSP was to be able to take advantage of the experience of all of the great modelers here.  There are some very talented individuals around and I am learning a lot by reading comments and following other builds.  One of my future projects is the Big Tamiya Corsair (which is an intimidating kit, to be honest) and so I am following your build with great interest and admiration.

Excellent work, John!

Kev

Thank you sir!  Hopefully, I can start getting into the meat of this build soon.  I feel like I'm playing at the shallow end of the pool and need to start SWIMMING.

Excellent work on the landing gear assemblies John. Thinking outside the box with a simple yet effective technique.

Regards,

Thanks!  I've always had an issue with the brake lines bending, breaking off or just getting in the way so I'm hoping this method will help ease those issues. 

Looking great - don't forget to use two pliers to twist the nosegear lower oleo to the side slightly for a more dynamic look - if that's what you're after!! Lot's of Me-262's were parked with canted nose wheels!

Cheers

Alan

Hmmm... let me think about that. Alan.  I may just go for the straight on look since I've painted the metal leg already.  But I have two extra nose gear legs in plastic so there is an option to play with those. 

Beautiful detailing John - a joy to see and follow this build.

Torben

Thank you Torben! Your comments are greatly appreciated!

I'm taking slow baby steps on this 262 build. Lots of things happening around the house that's distracting me from totally diving into this build but hopefully, that'll clear up soon.

The landing gear legs have been painted. I start by painting the shiny metal parts first. Alclad Chrome is my preferred shiny metal finish. It goes on top of gloss black. I've been playing around with different paints on this build. Mainly Mr Hobby Acrylics but for the gloss black I tried Mr Color Lacquer thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. I'm using the metal nose gear strut so the shiny metal portion is simply masked off. I thinned the Mr Color Lacquer Black with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and got a satin finish... interesting.

IMG_2605.jpg

After the Alclad Chrome was sprayed, the appropriate sections were masked off. The legs were then sprayed Tamiya RLM Grey. Portions of the legs were brush-painted with a lightened RLM Grey to give the legs a more detailed look. The paint was sealed with Alclad Aqua Gloss and the legs were given a dark pastel wash.

IMG_2607.jpg

I had forgotten about the actuating arms for the main landing gear so I snipped them off the sprue and cleaned them up. These arms come molded with small pins that I can use to mount wiring later on. The ends of these pins were hollowed out with the x-acto knife.

IMG_2609.jpg

Edited by Thunnus