Helldiver ... in the work

AEROPOXY

• 2 weeks later...

Do some work in past week or so, flaps first,  two days of snipping and supergluing. No comment for etched parts, they are good, but i'm tired after the this flaps assembly, does not touch Helldiver for a week.

s10fvfN.jpg

I use 0.5mm styrene sheet stripes , provisionally glued to wing trailing edge to use it as a flaps gluing base , and later remove this subassembly , till finish fuselage-wing joint surfaces.

AchQCrN.jpg

eQnpJAK.jpg

After the few resting days, fuselage is completed and assembled,

LDfDR6A.jpg

3qUCTzJ.jpg

And started with tricky part, poor wing-fuselage joint lines.

Intention is to  made wings removable ,  for easy transport.

Life will be much easier  if i simply glue wings in place and use filler to fill the gaps, which

are in some places 1-1,5mm wide.

So, i coat wing join area on fuselage with release agent  , slid wings on the "spars" and  use polyurethane glue as a filler , to fill the gaps and create solid wing extension core.

yhnAsyq.jpg

After an hour, wings are removed and "joint lines" sanded ( almost).

3FCEHrD.jpg

Thin section of wing-fuselage underside covers are way too flimsy and not follow the wing airfoil underside shape , so i remove it and glue bomb bay doors , to gain some strength in this area,  and will restore this later.

wim3S0e.jpg

Hope soon will be more pics,

• 1 month later...

Hi Nenad, 

I have just started my SB2C (after a year of wondering if I can be brave enough) .. I have a question if I may that might be answered in your bottom photo on post #18. The top halves of the fuselage are more or less clean, however the bottom halves are where the pour stubs were. Cleaning these up could involve sanding into the fuselage as well as down from the pour stubs. (I hope this makes sense) .. It appears that you did what I have done so far which is to sand the pour stubs to the outer skin of the fuselage. I am wondering if you sanded in from the mating edge that much?

So nice to see someone else working on this kit - great work too!

Best

Alex

Edited by GrumblyCarrion