Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

John,

Those masked markings look very nice!  I've given up on decals for the hollow crosses because of silvering.  I can pick and stab to get rid of bubbles, but I really hate doing it.

I've noticed that you haven't added any of the protruding parts like aerials and horn balances.  My problem is that if I add those parts after painting they don't stick very well.  Whereas if I add them before paint and finishing, I invariably knock off one or more.

Do you have a technique, or a cement that you use for these final bits and pieces?

Thanks,

Gaz

Great work John,

I am using Montex masks for the first time on my 1/48 A6M2-N Rufe. It is a learning curve but I really like them and as far as masking for overspray, I use an almost identical method:

7_DF53_F4_E-3_FFA-40_C9-8_B93-81547_A0_F

Almost no different, right? I still have a long way to go methinks.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

John,

Those masked markings look very nice!  I've given up on decals for the hollow crosses because of silvering.  I can pick and stab to get rid of bubbles, but I really hate doing it.

I've noticed that you haven't added any of the protruding parts like aerials and horn balances.  My problem is that if I add those parts after painting they don't stick very well.  Whereas if I add them before paint and finishing, I invariably knock off one or more.

Do you have a technique, or a cement that you use for these final bits and pieces?

Thanks,

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  If you don't like silvering and the other things that can go wrong with decals, the masks are the way to go.  I avoid decals whenever I can because I hate those silvering and bubbles too.

I add the small things like the antennas, pitot, balances, etc. after all of the painting and weathering is done.  I will DEFINITELY knock stuff off if given half the chance.  Since those things are very small, I don't find an issue attaching them at the end with CA glue or sometimes Tamiya Extra Thin if I can get away with it.

Great work John,

I am using Montex masks for the first time on my 1/48 A6M2-N Rufe. It is a learning curve but I really like them and as far as masking for overspray, I use an almost identical method:

7_DF53_F4_E-3_FFA-40_C9-8_B93-81547_A0_F

Almost no different, right? I still have a long way to go methinks.

Regards,

Yeah, just about the same.  I prefer to limit my masking to one or two masks at the most but what you're doing should work fine!  Reds can be a tough color to spray so I like to put a white base coat under my reds.

Decaling is finished.  The kit decals are very good.  Accurate, thin and reacts favorably to decal solution (Solvaset worked better than Microsol).  The only thing I didn't like about the kit decals are the flat finish... I prefer satin or gloss.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

The decals are sealed with a clear gloss in preparation for the next step: WEATHERING!

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks so much for the comments!  The W. Nr. will be speculative then.

The gloss coat has sealed the camo, markings and decals so we are ready for weathering.  The first step is to give the model a wash.  A misnomer if there ever was one since the objective is to dirty up the plane, not clean it!  The wash also serves another important purpose in my eyes.  I want remove the 3D aspects of the panel lines and rivets.  In other words, I want to convert the physical grooves and holes on the model into lines and dots or at least fool the eye into thinking it is seeing lines and dots, which is what the panel wash will do.  I believe this "flattening" effects helps to unify the model's surface into a more substantial object.

I make my own liquid washes from pastel chalk, water and a drop of dishwashing soap.  Being water-based, this wash is very safe on most finishes and can be wiped off completely if necessary, even from a flat coat.

IMG_1791.jpg

Here is the bottom of the wing, before the wash is applied.

IMG_1793.jpg

The wash is applied by brush into all of the rivet lines, panel lines and any other raised or recessed detail.

IMG_1794.jpg

Let this dry completely.  If you get impatient and start wiping before the wash completely dries, you'll be removing the wash from the areas where you want it to stay.  You can tell the wash is dry as it develops a totally flat finish.  Using a lightly damped piece of paper towel, I wipe the wash off the model, leaving the dried liquid in all of the nooks and crannies.  Initially, I try to keep my strokes perpendicular to any panel lines but the finishing strokes should be in the same direction as the air flow.

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

I like to work in areas as it is easy to lose track of the wash applications.  The last thing you want is to spray your final clear coat onto an area that you forgot to wipe.

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

I use a lighter color wash to treat the black tulip area on the nose.

IMG_1808.jpg

Make sure you inspect the model carefully during this process for stray fingerprints, unrealistic streaks and any areas that may have been missed.  If you are using a paper towel like me, make sure you wipe or brush the model off since paper towels can leave fibers behind.

IMG_1810.jpg

The wash effect will vary on the contrast between the wash color and the surrounding color.  On the lighter RLM 76 surfaces, I used a dark brown wash but I'll use a bit darker wash with more black on the darker RLM 75/83.

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Edited by Thunnus