Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

Guest Peterpools

John

The Nor'easter is howling outside and I settled down to reading your brilliant build thread starting from the first line of the first post: dated Nov 8, 2017 to the most current post. Of course, I was absent from the forum for quite some time and missed a good portion of the build. What can I say; simply blown away not only by your remarkable skills but the manor and style of presentation. Narration, interaction with the members and your photography combined to present a build that is so well detailed, informative and enjoyable.

Your work: impeccable.

I've learned new techniques, which I will be borrowing for up coming projects: thank you. Towards the tail end you commented on worrying about the primer filling in much of the added rivet details. I've found that choice of primer is very important for just this reason plus still insuring a good bond of paint to primer to plastic. I've become a big fan of Ammo MIG Grey Primer thinned with Tamiya X-20A. It does it's job very well and I haven't experienced any of the small, delicate details being filled in. While it is a waterborne Polymer, I've used it for years in this manor with near perfect results. I've shot every paint in my arsenal over this primer: MRP, Mr Color, Tamiya, Model Air, Akan, and Mig with no problems at all.

My apologies for being so long winded

Absolutely enjoying your build...

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

You're really working up quite an astounding finish, John.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  I really enjoy adding different layers to achieve the final look.  Still lots more to do so stay tuned!

very interesting build / paint job ....I am enjoying !!!!!!!!!!

Alain

Thanks so much Alain!

Whow! One of the best 109 :party0023:  The weathering is superlative and what a subtle painting.

Bravissimo.

Ciao

Filippo

Grazie.  We're still early in the weathering process and I never know exactly how things will turn so we'll have to see!

Nice piece of work there, Buddy.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark!

You're weathering is looking fantastic. The post shading you do with the black/brown mix, do you apply it to all panel lines with varying levels of application? Or do you only apply it to certain areas? Hoping I can attempt to achieve this level of weathering on my builds.

The post shading with the black/brown is done on most panel lines.  It's a very watery mix so it's barely visible with a single pass of the airbrush.  On some panel lines, a single pass with barely visible effect is all that I do while the heavier wear areas (around cockpit, wing root, engine, etc) will get multiple passes to build up the brown/black.  But subtlety is the key.  Keep in mind that there are many layers to the weathering puzzle and it is important not to expect too much from any one layer.  I've completed the mottled pre-shading, the thinned camo finish, the pastel wash and have started on the post-shading.  Still to come is the paint chipping, salt fading and perhaps some oil filtering/staining.  All of this will contribute to the finished model.

John

The Nor'easter is howling outside and I settled down to reading your brilliant build thread starting from the first line of the first post: dated Nov 8, 2017 to the most current post. Of course, I was absent from the forum for quite some time and missed a good portion of the build. What can I say; simply blown away not only by your remarkable skills but the manor and style of presentation. Narration, interaction with the members and your photography combined to present a build that is so well detailed, informative and enjoyable.

Your work: impeccable.

I've learned new techniques, which I will be borrowing for up coming projects: thank you. Towards the tail end you commented on worrying about the primer filling in much of the added rivet details. I've found that choice of primer is very important for just this reason plus still insuring a good bond of paint to primer to plastic. I've become a big fan of Ammo MIG Grey Primer thinned with Tamiya X-20A. It does it's job very well and I haven't experienced any of the small, delicate details being filled in. While it is a waterborne Polymer, I've used it for years in this manor with near perfect results. I've shot every paint in my arsenal over this primer: MRP, Mr Color, Tamiya, Model Air, Akan, and Mig with no problems at all.

My apologies for being so long winded

Absolutely enjoying your build...

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Thank you so much for these words Peter!  There is a group of modelers that I really admire on LSP and you are in that group.  My admiration is not limited to the quality of work (which is stupendously good) but also the presentation of the build.  That conveyance of information from one modeler to another... that's so valuable to me and there are certain people who are so very good at doing this!  You've definitely got that gift.  I've learned so much from you and others and I really like the idea that my participation here is simply keeping that learning thing going.  So thank you for those words, Peter!

I'm definitely in learning mode and am eager to fill in gaps in my knowledge with the help of others.  I've been using Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Tamiya Acrylic thinner as my primary primer.  It's worked ok but it is the only primer I've ever tried.  I'll definitely take a look at the Ammo MIG Grey Primer! 

Hello, John and Happy New Year! I was away in the wilderness or the desert for awhile, too, and I have missed much of what you do when you build, the pacing I miss, the moments of wild inspiration I miss, the usage of old techniques in new ways I miss and I just miss being an observer whilst you make your work happen. I have noticed much and now will need to process much more having found myself going back to the beginning once again to turn the pages or flip or roll the imagery onscreen. Much has happened as you near the final flourish! So much! Much, much, much is the word of the day, repeating endlessly. After I reached this moment I felt as though I had watched an incredible performance and indeed yes, that is what it is, an absolutely beautiful performance. Bravo!

Hello, John and Happy New Year! I was away in the wilderness or the desert for awhile, too, and I have missed much of what you do when you build, the pacing I miss, the moments of wild inspiration I miss, the usage of old techniques in new ways I miss and I just miss being an observer whilst you make your work happen. I have noticed much and now will need to process much more having found myself going back to the beginning once again to turn the pages or flip or roll the imagery onscreen. Much has happened as you near the final flourish! So much! Much, much, much is the word of the day, repeating endlessly. After I reached this moment I felt as though I had watched an incredible performance and indeed yes, that is what it is, an absolutely beautiful performance. Bravo!

Thanks for checking in and Happy New Year to you too!  You've always been very supportive of my modeling and that is greatly appreciated!  

John, your work is truly inspirational, what a fantastic "one-'o'-nine"! I enjoy every aspect of your builds here. I've admired your work in the smaller scales as well and I must say that I learned a lot of how you do things. So thank you for sharing all your techiques! Your painting techniques have been an eye opener for me and one of the reasons I really started to enjoy building scale models again.

I look forward to see more of your fantastic work in 2018!

Beautiful work !! I loooove 109's and this is one of the nicest I've seen in a while.

Looked for the wnr for this one (a bit of a thing for me) but came up empty handed.

Thanks Thomas!  I love 109's and 190's too.  I'm not sure where Revell got the W. Nr. for this aircraft but we'll just go with it for now.

John, this is a stunning work of art; thank you for sharing here! I can only hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

Thanks Granger!  This is my 2nd Revell 109G-10 and I've enjoyed building them both times!  I've added a bit to this one but I think it builds nicely out of the box too.

John, your work is truly inspirational, what a fantastic "one-'o'-nine"! I enjoy every aspect of your builds here. I've admired your work in the smaller scales as well and I must say that I learned a lot of how you do things. So thank you for sharing all your techiques! Your painting techniques have been an eye opener for me and one of the reasons I really started to enjoy building scale models again.

I look forward to see more of your fantastic work in 2018!

Thank you Jerry!  I've enjoyed following your builds too.  I like interacting with fellow modelers, especially those that are passionate about learning.  My jaw is constantly dropping when I see some of the fantastic builds here and I hope to keep learning and sharing as I go.  

Totally top notch - so much to genuinely admire here and I'm learning loads too. 

Torben

Aren't these message boards great?  I credit the internet for increasing my proficiency, not only in scale modeling but for all of the hobbies that I personally enjoy especially fishing and photography.  Heck, I fixed my 57 inch LED TV the other day by BAKING the motherboard in the oven.  There's no way that would've ever happened if it were not for the internet!

I jumped back onto the Erla build today.  I wanted to continue with the weathering process.  I picked up the model and started doing some paint chipping using a silver pencil.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

I stopped when I remembered that I wanted to do some salt fading on this build.  You can use salt crystals as mask to produce paint chips but also, if you use a more diluted paint mix, a way of producing random fading stains.  I've had trouble modulating this effect on my past builds and produced barely noticeable effects, which seemed like a big waste of effort.

The process is quite simple.  First, you brush a thin layer of water on to the surface of the model.  Then you sprinkle salt onto the wet surface.  The process of the salt melting and the water evaporating serves to secure the salt onto the surface of the model as the water dries.

IMG_1893.jpg

Wait until the water is completely evaporated.  Once dry, you lightly spray a diluted mix of a lighter color such as gray onto the model.  The effect is hard to gauge because it's hard to see the results until you've actually wiped away the salt.

IMG_1894.jpg

When the salt is removed from the model, the masking effects should be visible.  Be very thorough in cleaning off the salt as it tends to gather in joints and recesses and will frost into a white bloom when the undetectable saline moisture dries.  I use a spray bottle of water and spray the model off over a trash can and wiping dry with a clean, microfiber cloth.  The result?  Hmmm... interesting.  I actually did the salt thing twice on my Dora build due to how subtle it was.  I think I erred in the opposite direction this time. 

IMG_1895.jpg

Great.  Looks like the model has a bad case of the freckles.

IMG_1896.jpg

Since the camo coat is protected by multiple clear coats by now, you can dial back the salt fading effect by gentle polishing using Micromesh.  However, this started to reveal some of the imperfections in the modeling surface and I could only correct so far using this method.

IMG_1901.jpg

When it became apparent that I couldn't save the finish by rubbing the salt fading effect away, I had to resort to spraying the camo colors again.  I wanted to preserve SOME of the salt fading effects so again, I used a very dilute mix of the camo colors and touched up the troublesome areas until they looked ok.

IMG_1902.jpg

A close up of the corrective work on the Dark Green area on the cowling using a very dilute mix of RLM 83.

IMG_1903.jpg

I did this over the entire surface of the model using RLM 83 and RLM 75.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

What a pain but at least it wasn't a fatal mistake.  I may have to seal this paint work and do the wash again in certain areas as the repainting destroyed some of that work.

Edited by Thunnus

I've had trouble modulating this effect on my past builds and produced barely noticeable effects, which seemed like a big waste of effort.

Shouldn't be noticeable. Being barely noticeable doesn't mean

it has no effect. I thot it made a difference on your D9.  :thumbsup: